Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The return of Ibis? September 2005?

Man I hope so!!! Has anybody else seen this? http://www.ibisbicycles.com/

From the website...
    "Long time no chat. You see, Ibis has been taking a little break. But we're coming back soon to a trail and to a road near you. Our vacation is over and we’re on our way back. We missed you. Where have we been? Sequestered in a secret location working to unleash some fresh new radness on the bike world. Velo Club Ibis returns in September 2005."

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

I know

I emailed Scot, he wrote back, said he's gonna drop the bomb at interbike, but is holding out for hype right now...
    All the Ibis heads are a-buzz about this. I can't wait...
    I've got some work on 2 frames I want them to do, and a list of shizzle i want built!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzaholic
    I emailed Scot, he wrote back, said he's gonna drop the bomb at interbike, but is holding out for hype right now...
    All the Ibis heads are a-buzz about this. I can't wait...
    I've got some work on 2 frames I want them to do, and a list of shizzle i want built!!!
    Sweet! I was going to pick up a new Soulcraft frame during the off-season, but I just might have to hold off and see what Ibis has to offer! I need an Ibis 29'er to park next to my Mojo!! Long live Ibis!!

mtbr member

Ibis strikes back-

29er - That's what I'm talking about! I cannot wait to see what they unveil-

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ibis has added a blog to their site... http://www.ibisbicycles.com/blog/

I sure hope they make a 29er! I guess we'll have to wait until Interbike to find out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The reincarnation of Ibis is being handled by Hans something or other who used to own part of Santa Cruz. He bought the Ibis name a few years back I believe. The original Ibis guy(s) are involved mostly for marketing and posterity sake. I doubt they'll be warrantying or servicing many old Ibis frames, kind of like how Merlin and Litespeed stopped honoring warranties on frames sold prior to the creation of American Bicycling Group.

Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    Ibis has added a blog to their site... http://www.ibisbicycles.com/blog/

I sure hope they make a 29er! I guess we'll have to wait until Interbike to find out.

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

Yippie

Skippy
    http://www.ibisbicycles.com/mountain/

whose your daddy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Disappointed

Where's the Ti.
    Allways wanted a Ti Mojo.
    Now I want a 29er Ti Mojo with Rohloff and Ti/carbon Pace Fork.
    Fingers crossed for the Ti bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is the new Ibis a Martec?

Do you think Martec makes Ibis' carbon frames ala Kestrel and many others?

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!

Ibisis making their bikes

Scot and co. is making every one of these puppies.
    Do you think they're gonna take the chance of putting the resurrection in the hands of someone else like the Montana failure of a few years back...

Kinda bummed there's no TI, but Castellano's making something again, maybe we just haven't seen the full stable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The steel and ti have to be there as well. But let's face it....everyone waits this long for the return of ibis, and they show up with some 'pond scum' painted mojos? That wouldn't quite make the hype....this carbon mojo looks absolutely amazing....goosebumps amazing....I swear my wife is going to divorce me when I buy this thing....

mtbr member
    Never have been a fan of carbon frames so am very disappointed that there is no Ti to look at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wonder if they will have steel and Ti bikes in addition to the carbon? I was REALLY hoping for a steel 29'er from Ibis! If not, I guess I'll be going Soulcraft or Wily Cycles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like they will only be working with carbon, atleast for 2006...
    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...es/8974.0.html

I'm old school, so a steel ride is probably in my future. These new carbon models do look pretty trick though!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chinese takeout

Quote Originally Posted by fritzaholic
    Scot and co. is making every one of these puppies.
    Ibis' site says the frames are from a good source in China.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If made in the U.S., the Mojo Carbon would have a frame-only 3k price tag. I think a lot of us need to get over the 'if it's not made in the U.S it sucks' mindset. I'm guilty of it as well. I'm not inviting a "U.S. is losing jobs" debate" either. Just stating that I think the quality will be top-notch despite the Made in China sticker....

Bike Pimp
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    Looks like they will only be working with carbon, atleast for 2006...
    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...es/8974.0.html

I'm old school, so a steel ride is probably in my future. These new carbon models do look pretty trick though!!

I have ta say, I was looking forward to the return of the scorcher

After seeing the new bikes though,I'm impressed. I think I might even end up with the Silk Carbon

There are a lot of steel custom manufacturers out there struggling to make ends meet. Why should Ibis jump back into the game just to make a small nitch of steel freaks (like myself) happy? Welcome back Ibis.
    [SIZE=4]Wrenchscience.com[/SIZE]
    ...Your local bike shop....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    If made in the U.S., the Mojo Carbon would have a frame-only 3k price tag. I think a lot of us need to get over the 'if it's not made in the U.S it sucks' mindset. I'm guilty of it as well. I'm not inviting a "U.S. is losing jobs" debate" either. Just stating that I think the quality will be top-notch despite the Made in China sticker....
    I was dissappointed to learn that the new Ibis frames are being made in China. One of the things I liked about the old Ibis bikes was that they were handmade right here in the USA. The new bikes certainly are trick, but I've crossed the Mojo off my list. I'd rather get a frame made here in the states. A Slingshot was also on my short list, but I recently found out that they are no longer being made in Michigan, and instead are being built in Taiwan (or Korea, or somewhere overseas). Sucks. It looks like bikes are just like everything else...being outsourced to the lowest bidder. Its getting harder and harder to buy things made here, and I would like to support local US builders if at all possible. Time to look at Yeti or one of the real small builders...

Homer's problem child
    I was dissappointed to learn that the new Ibis frames are being made in China. One of the things I liked about the old Ibis bikes was that they were handmade right here in the USA. The new bikes certainly are trick, but I've crossed the Mojo off my list. I'd rather get a frame made here in the states. A Slingshot was also on my short list, but I recently found out that they are no longer being made in Michigan, and instead are being built in Taiwan (or Korea, or somewhere overseas). Sucks. It looks like bikes are just like everything else...being outsourced to the lowest bidder. Its getting harder and harder to buy things made here, and I would like to support local US builders if at all possible. Time to look at Yeti or one of the real small builders...
    Yeti's are made in China too. So are most of the new Titus frames. You want US you are getting into Intense, Turner, some Santa Cruz, Foes, Ventana, and a select few others.

China and Taiwan actually weld up decent bikes at a lower cost. Sucks for US manufacturing but what can we do. Americans want the most bike for the buck and the only way to do this it to build em in the far east.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 10-13-2005 at 04:15 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Bike Pimp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Yeti's are made in China too. So are most of the new Titus frames. You want US you are getting into Intense, Turner, some Santa Cruz, Foes, and a select few others.

China and Taiwan actually weld up decent bikes at a lower cost. Sucks for US manufacturing but what can we do. Americans want the most bike for the buck and the only way to do this it to build em in the far east.

B
    Werd! How else are you going to get a full carbon, 5+ inches of travel, DW link frame for $1850?
    You can get an Intense 5.5 for the same price. It's definately high quality, but it ain't carbon.
    [SIZE=4]Wrenchscience.com[/SIZE]
    ...Your local bike shop....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Yeti's are made in China too. So are most of the new Titus frames. You want US you are getting into Intense, Turner, some Santa Cruz, Foes, Ventana, and a select few others.

B
    Some of the Yetis, like the one I'd be interested in (ASR SL or ARC), are made in Colorado, atleast thats what the website says... http://www.yeticycles.com/1_bikes/asr_team.html

I agree that we want the most bike for the buck, but with that mentality everyting will eventually be made overseas (just look at Wal Marts inventory for example). I tend to look beyond just the price when I'm buying something like this. Price isn't everyting. Go over to Chris Kings website and you'll find some good articles about this.

Homer's problem child
    Some of the Yetis, like the one I'd be interested in (ASR SL or ARC), are made in Colorado, atleast thats what the website says... http://www.yeticycles.com/1_bikes/asr_team.html

I agree that we want the most bike for the buck, but with that mentality everyting will eventually be made overseas (just look at Wal Marts inventory for example). I tend to look beyond just the price when I'm buying something like this. Price isn't everyting. Go over to Chris Kings website and you'll find some good articles about this.
    I am on your side. I ride an Intense 5.5 with King Hubs and Headset. As a Mechanical Engineer I all too aware of the problem shipping manufacturing overseas causes. The only safe haven for me is the aerospace industry. We will not let China make our fighter jets, satellites, rockets, and other items deemed critical to national security. Just about everything else is quickly jumping to manufacturing where they can pay 1/5 for labor and engineering. Unfortunatly the lower cost does not mean an inferior product most of the time. Most of the engineers overseas were educated here in the US or someone they work for was. Either Americans decide to work more for less $$$ as cost of living continues to go up or we have our toys built overseas.

All of us are open to any solutions you may have.

Unfortunatly a lot of americans do not agree that price is not everything or we would not be having this discussion.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mojo on Order...

I just put in my order and deposit. Should be arriving in March. I've never bought a bike sight unseen/ or ridden. However, I spoke extensively to the guys at my local shop about this bike, the technology behind it, the ride characteristics of the suspension, and am pretty convinced this is a perfect match for me. Sealing the deal was their (the bike shop's) 'money back garuantee' if I did not like the Mojo Carbon....March has never seemed so far away....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Morale Option In Bike Buying ?

Thanks for referencing article http://www.chrisking.com/asiamfg/index.html.
    I was looking at an Ibis Mojo Carbon. But, being an environmentalist and having morals; I can't see buying a bike that is manufactured in a factory by a child in a country where the air is so bad that the child will probably not see retirement. (I am generalizing but if not made here, is there any way to know ?)

mtbr member
    It is really funny that just today I met a UPS pilot that flys one of those REALLY BIG planes to China all the time and he commented on how they go over there mostly empty and come back chock full, every time. I doubt that they are full of Ibises, but he did mention Wal Mart.......

I personally have gotten a couple of frames from XACD in China. One Ti and one Aluminum. They both work fine and were at a price that no one here on our shores could do it for. They both are unusual custom type units that I sent them the designs for that took all of 2 months tops from order to receipt without any excuses needed nor attitude implied

I would never go to them for quantity, as I have no need to, but for my zanier ideas of what a bicycle could be they do the job without hassle. Even if they don't last forever but neither has shown signs of failure yet.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast