mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Retro Ibis - may I present to you, my new Bow Ti!

Went and saw the Ibis Bow Ti today, it was indeed mintier than the most minty thing you can think of... it looks absolutely brand new, not a mark to be seen, a genuinely astounding find (to me anyway). And, best of all, it's now sitting in my lounge-room in all its retro glory Here's the complete spec for anyone interested:

Ibis Bow Ti (medium) with original Fox Alps 5R shock (looks totally brand new!)
    Marzocchi Super Fly Z2 Bombers
    Chris King headset (green)
    Ringle 120mm 10degree stem (green)
    Chris King 32H non-disc hubs front/rear (green)
    Mavic X517 SUP ceramic rims
    Nokian Godzilla rear tyre
    Halo Choir Master front tyre
    Cook Brothers Racing QR skewers (green)
    Royce Ti BB
    Cook Brothers Racing cranks with Egg chainrings (triple setup)
    Rohloff SST98 chain
    SRAM 9.0SL 10th Anniversary grip shifts and rear mech (American flag colouring, only 200 sets in the world!) 8-spd
    XT front mech (2010 model)
    Avid Arch Supreme brakes front/rear
    WTB SST98 Ltd Edition saddle

I need to decide what I'm going to do with this... I think the plan may be to strip off all the retro bits off and box them up (I even have most of the original boxes from the build!) for storage, then rebuild the frame with modern bits (after slathering it in helicopter tape, perhaps!) Thinking about getting a rear disc brake mount fitted along with hose guides, but not sure about this...

Anyhoo, proper pics to follow when I get time and decent light, but for now here's a dodgy one

Last edited by tensim; 02-05-2010 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet looking ride from a few years back. Disc tab or not? Retro-fitting a tab could diminish it's appeal as an original collectible. Looking forward to more pics.

mtbr member
    Very sweet!!! Lose everything from the headset up...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe_a
    Very sweet!!! Lose everything from the headset up...
    what he said....

and FWIW....NO disk tabs.... I thought long and hard about putting disk tabs on my ti mojo, which I bought new in 97... even took it down to Wes of Willits (who built it in the first place at Ibis) with the intention of doing it. He talked me out of it, and I'm glad he did. With a disk in front and XTR V-brake in back, it works great.... you're certainly not gonna be any slower due to the brakes, or have any less fun. For your Bow, a modern fork to match the plush back end (which the 63-80mm forks of the day never could do) and disk front would probably add to the fun.

congrats.... very sweet..

mtbr member
    Only reason I check in on the Ibis forum is to see the classics I am ALL for keeping things original, but if you plan on keeping this for a rider, I would send it to Potts for a disk brake tab. Disk rear, tubeless will be easier to pull off....just saying. That being said, hell, keep it stock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sweet frame! Ride the Arch Supremes though....you'll be amazed at how strong those things are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Don't ride it too much or else this will happen........

Downtube failed after 40000 miles and 11 years!

I'm trying to contact John Castellano to see what he can do, No replies yet.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daveatextremistsdotcouk
    Don't ride it too much or else this will happen........

Downtube failed after 40000 miles and 11 years!

I'm trying to contact John Castellano to see what he can do, No replies yet.
    Same thing happened to mine - It can be repaired but it is pricey. Apparently that particular tube just can't be obtained. John designed a replacement made from flat plate sort of like the silk ti chain stays. He used my frame to test the design and displayed it at the NAHBS a couple of years ago. It works but is not quite as stiff laterally so that it occasionally rubs the bow stays under my massive weight. Lighter people can't seem to make it rub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retro Ibis - may I present to you, my new Bow Ti!-dsc00497-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I disagree, I had XTR Vees both front and back and then ditched the front when I got a new fork and fitted disk... then over time I decided to ditch the rear disk and ran a torsion arm for a disk on the back, this made a huge difference and eventually I sent it to mr potts and had the frame cleaned, checked nd disk tabs added... removed the Vee mounts and now its a thing of beauty and as good as a lot of modern rides. Without the Vee brake mounts the chainstay tubes look long and sleek and the disk tab is a thing of beauty. I ride it a lot and am glad I dont have the english mud making a racket gainst the back wheel anymore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I wont/dont want to get into a debate about which bikes are better or worse than the bowTi. I've ridden a lot of bikes in my 18 years of mountain biking and the bowTi works well for me. I've raced it and ridden it all over the place and its fine for me. I dont get left behind in a group ride and it handles just fine.

At the end of the day too much attention is focused on a bike when frankly the truth of the matter is Lance would still kick my ass even if he was riding my grandma's shopper.

I like my bowTi and it rides just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unkempt dervish
    The one that you didn't answer.
    its simple, i wont be drawn into online arguments/debates, no insult intended but we all are entitled to our opinion and we disagree.