mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Repainting a Mojo

I am thinking of re-painting my Mojo, and wonder if stripping the old clear coat and repainting will harm the carbon?

Does anybody have experience re-painting a Mojo, as far as paint removal (chemical striper type) and what type of paint to use, i.e. urethane, lacquer, etc?

www.derbyrims.com
    Just sand, cleanup with tack cloth, and paint. Paint sticks best to paint. And there would be the least risk of damaging the original CF structure. Adding a couple ounces of paint will not be a noticeable performance difference.

I've sanded and clear-coated the top of my top-tube with no problem with automotive spray can paint (after removing the cable guides to custom route below the TT). The stock clear was very tough and hard to sand compared to the clear paint I used.

I'm not a professional painter, but my brother is - among many other mechanical and fabrication skills. He says it's best not to strip paint unless it's a few repainted layers thick already. Too thick of paint has too many unknown flaws and can bubble or flake or peal later.

You should consider that Ibis may not warrantee the frame for manufacturing defects if custom repainted. Although I think that as they have shown so far, they'd be reasonable and make a fair judgment if there was a failure problem after a custom paint job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

paint prep

Agreed, Stripping will be a huge hassle compared to sanding the existing paint and using is as a base. I'm not sure about the chemical effects of the stripping material on CF, though I imagine it could be an issue. Beyond that, getting the surface smooth and consistant enough to look good again after stripping might take a lot of "body work". There's quite a bit of hand sanding done to get the Mojo surface to be smooth. After paint the frames are polished out on a large buffing wheel to smooth out any orange peel and get that deep rubbed out look.

Yes, save yourself some work and sand and repaint, that's our suggestion...

Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hans,

I have a second Mojo which is painted. It has seen it's share of chips and scratches. Will Ibis be offering touch up paint? Might it also be possible to eventually have a nude carbon frame repainted with factory colors, perhaps through Ibis's painter?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

touch up paint is available

Hello!

Touch up paint is available...

1-866-424-7635 or aaron@ibiscycles.com will get you there...

We can let a painter know the color spec, but they will have to source the paint. We'd also need to get some decals for you unless you're going "stealth". Gotta run the DW-Link decal tho ; ) If you have a painter in your area that might be easiest. We know a few out this way at about $300 + -

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.