mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rear triangle wear

I've just removed the lower and lopes links to service the bearings (actually upgrading tot he stiffer lower link) and noticed this wear on the rear triangle.

It looks like debris/stones caught in the under the linkage has rubbed away the rubberised paint finish, but has it done terminal damage? What do others think?

aka dan51
    Been there, done that.
    Mojo rear triangle - a set on Flickr
    before sanding

sanded
    After sanding
    I noticed because I could not properly tighten the lower linkage bolts as the smaller distance was having them bottom out.
    To temporarily fix it I sanded the ends smooth and ground down the outer bolt length.
    Then I contacted Ibis and they hooked me up with some shims. I wound up using 5 shims, 3 on one side, 2 on the other. Been rocking that setup for over a year with no problems.
    The shims are 10mm ID, Ibis may still have them. Jeff helped me out and may remember ordering them.

Shim install tip, have the rear triangle apart from the frame makes getting the shims in easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cheers d-bug, but I was meaning the worn bit above the pivot area, where something has rubbed away the coating/paint and exposed the carbon beneath (duller looking area)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had a lot more wear like that on my Mojo C. Hans said it was OK because there is lots of filer/epoxy in that area so it won't reduce the strength. I made a little mud gaurd out of an ice cream container lid and zip tied it to the seat tube.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by dreednya View Post
    Cheers d-bug, but I was meaning the worn bit above the pivot area, where something has rubbed away the coating/paint and exposed the carbon beneath (duller looking area)
    Ah, I see.
    That does seem like an odd place to have wear.
    Well, now you have 2 problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I noticed because I could not properly tighten the lower linkage bolts as the smaller distance was having them bottom out.
    I've not noticed this so maybe not a problem yet on my rear triangle, but will pay close attention when doing up the lower linkage bolts to the correct torque

aka dan51
    I should clarify what I mean about properly tighten.
    If I put wrenches on either side of the bolts I could tighten to spec. The looseness became noticeable when I put a wrench on only one side and tried tightening it. With a single wrench on, the bolt would spin fairly easily within the link/frame, despite being properly torqued just seconds before using 2 wrenches.
    What's happening is the 2 mounting bolts are bottoming against each other, thus getting to proper toque spec, but the bearings aren't making proper contact with the frame due to that wear. The wear you see will only get worse, and eventually the rear end will develop some play and possibly a knocking feel during movement.
    You can grind down the end of the longer mounting bolt so they don't bottom out as soon, but then you'll be flexing the link in a way it's not meant to be flexed, potentially leading to link cracking and premature bearing wear.

Yours looks to be about as worn as mine was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    hmmm looks like I need to speak nicely to Ibis then

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    bike is back in my lbs where they found the play in the rear triangle to come from the very place you mentioned d-bug . they have tried some shims but can not remove all play and have asked me to contact Ibis re-frame wear

aka dan51
    Any idea how many shims they used?
    Ibis had me measure the length of the metal insert after I sanded the ends smooth. They then sent me 6 shims, I was able to stuff 5 in and the play is gone.
    Maybe the LBS didn't put enough shims in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Turns out my wear was not on the tea triangle but on the front one around where the front lower pivot shaft goes in. IbisUK now involved and will presumably give me some options tomorrow. Big thanks to Jeff from Ibis for sorting me out so far

mtbr member
    Looks like I might have something similar-need to pull it apart and investigate. To much slop coming from the lower link. Mines an 2010 SL.

Update-false alarm lower link bolt was just loose
    Last edited by Trackho; 06-24-2012 at 06:11 PM.