mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Which Rear Shock for HD?

Arrrggghhhhhh; so many choices, I've come to the conclusion i need a dedicated DH bike and will persue that path, however, I'm still not happy with the rp23 and looking for a befier shock; looking for better AM/aggressive trail performance; considering: Monarch Plus RC3, Marzocchi TSTr, Crane Creek Double Barrel Air, or the X-Fusion HLR. Any preferences out there - goin crazy over the options and lack of real write ups on comparing these.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm in the same boat, would love to hear more comparisons. In addition to the shocks in your list, I'm also looking at the Vivid Air, have read great things in this forum and other places (example: Real-Life-Comparison-Vivid-Air-and-Vivid-Coil). You can find it on eBay new (8.5x2.5, mid tune) for under $400. But I've also read a few threads about reliability concerns. Who knows?

I've been trying to get more info on the X-Fusion Vector HLR, which is lighter than the Cane Creek or Vivid Air. I may wait for the 2013s that will be available late summer, and include a new Kashima-style slick coating and improved damping circuits. Also a $50 upcharge for a custom bike-specific tune: X-Fusion 2013 lineup. I read somewhere that there will be a DW-Link specific tune available, and X-Fusion should get plenty experience tuning the shock for Lopes and other Mojo HD riders, so it could be a really good fit for the HD.

General question about shock replacements: is new mounting hardware needed specific to each shock, or will other shocks mount with the hardware already on the bike for the RP23?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Regarding the the shock mounting hardware: As long as you stay with Fox, RockShox, 5th Element and Marzocchi then the eyelet is the same size. This I know from personal experience. I haven't had the pleasure of working with the other brands - Yet...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I sent an email to X-fusion last week about the DW tune. They offer it now but they are sold out of the Vector air HLR. They might have the RC available but I didn't have them check since I want the HLR if I go that route. The CCDBA sounds bad ass but I'm not big on tinkering with settings. I want to set it and forget it. I'm starting to think the Roco TST air with a custom tune from bikeco.com may be my best option since it would be set specifically to me (weight, riding style, etc...) but the x-fusion is still on my mind

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    recleaver, if I man up and upgrade soon you're welcome to try mine out. I'm in the Middletown area of CT. I'm either upgrading to the 160mm on the HD soon or getting a 29'er. I haven't decided which I'm doing first. Since X-fusion is back ordered on the HLR I might wait but who knows, I'm a little impulsive. I need to make another call to bikeco and explore my options some more.