mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Rear shifting issues with XTR M986 direct mount mech

Having a nightmare with my HD. I was running a XTR M986 shadow plus rear mech and the Ibis direct mount hanger to do away with the little link. When downshifting quickly the chain keeps dropping off the 11 tooth sprocket and jamming between that and the frame. If I adjust the tension screw to limit the movement it wont then change into the 11 tooth sprocket.

I am tempted to dump the direct mount hanger and try the regular hanger and the shimano link again.

Other than that has anyone else had the same issue?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    When you say you are adjusting the tension screw, do you mean the B-Screw? It sounds like you need to adjust the H Limit screw so that it brings the pulleys in-line with the 11T cog when it is at that index. It would also be a good idea to check the L Limit screw so that you don't throw your chain into your spokes too.

Here's a quick link for reference: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry I meant I was adjusting the limit screw. I set it so It would not shift into the lower sprocket and then knocked it back so it would shift into it and it still jammed.

I am actually pretty close to getting rid of the Mojo now, I am sick and tired of this issue and I dont think the bike as a whole is all that stiff, the BB area is pretty flexy.

Grams Light Bikes
    A couple of things:

Is the chainline setup properly? Alignment issues with the hanger? FYI: I never found the bb area to be flexy, there is a log of material in that section of the frame?

My install/tune steps:

Shift the rear to the lowest gear, undo the clamp to release the cable, while turning the crank, push the knuckle (not the cage) up a couple of gears and then release, eyeball the pulley, it needs to line up with the lowest cog, adjust the high limit as needed, now push the knuckle again all the way to the largest cog while turning the crank, eyeball the pulley, it needs to line up with the largest cog, adjust the low limit as needed, let it drop back down to the lowest cog, pull the cable with some good hand tension, reclamp the cable, check the shifting (adjust as needed with barrel at shifters), shift to the largest cog, and adjust the b-tension to keep the pulley/chain 6mm away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nope the hanger is spot on and straight, I check all my bikes with my park checker. I am going to try without the direct mount and see if that cures it.