mtbr member
    Oct 2008

rear axle Mojo HD

Hey all,
    looking to trim weight off my 2011 HD- and wondered if this would work on the rear wheel
    Tune DC12 skewer (X-12)

the tune x12 skewer looks pretty sweet....speaking of which- what is the lightest bottom brackets anyone know of for the HD?

mtbr member
    Oh Boy, that lever looks pretty thin. Hopefully it's strong enough to get the QR tight. Looks pretty cool (and light) though!! Let us know how it works out.

When It comes to bottom brackets, reliability usually trumps weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Honestly, while made out of Carbon, the HD is not a light frame per se. If you shed like 10 or even 20 Gramms off the BB, it won't make a noticeable difference, aside for mthe wallet of course.
    My take would rather be to get light and strong wheels and a tubeless setup.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Honestly, while made out of Carbon, the HD is not a light frame per se. If you shed like 10 or even 20 Gramms off the BB, it won't make a noticeable difference, aside for mthe wallet of course.
    My take would rather be to get light and strong wheels and a tubeless setup.
    +1.

ianthom: How heavy is your bike and what's your build? Mine is 30+ lbs, but it pedals better than some lighter bikes I've ridden.

This look at wheels, tires, cranks, and even pedals before worrying about axles. Axles are a structural thing, and you won't notice the weight on those. Those are all in some form rotational.

In order to change:
    1. Tires: cheapest and make the biggest difference in weight and handling. Go tubeless.
    2. Wheels: rims and spokes make the biggest difference here. But, this is a big and expensive change and can affect handling too.
    3. Cranks and pedals: small change, but difference is less likely to be bigger than 1 and 2. Much less bang for the buck.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Mine sits at 13,4 KGs. And w/o spending a fortune, it won't get any lighter than that.

I run a lyrik Dh 170/ Vivid Air combo to have decent suspension; XX1 drivetrain; Point1 pedals; Reverb; DT 1750 tubeless w Spec. Butcher tires.

Team Chilidog!
    Mine sits at 13,4 KGs. And w/o spending a fortune, it won't get any lighter than that.

I run a lyrik Dh 170/ Vivid Air combo to have decent suspension; XX1 drivetrain; Point1 pedals; Reverb; DT 1750 tubeless w Spec. Butcher tires.
    It's all a matter of handling vs weight. I'd rather have the extra weight at this point if the handling is more predictable. Then again, I'm weird

Ok, maybe to help you better, why are you trying to take the weight down? Racing? Feels sluggish?

Butcher tires aren't light. I run the Butcher SX 2.3 up front (love the handling of it, even if it's a 900g tire). I'm debating on finding a new tire for the rear.. the Ardent UST is heavy (800g), but I dunno of any other tire that I can run tubeless that weighs less and handles the way it does.

I did run a Butcher Control in the back, but even though it's lighter than the Ardent UST, it's much slower of a tire in the back for me.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Ianthom, what does your build look like right now and what weight are you at? I agree that it is not the lightest bike out there, but you can get it down to a 27 lbs with a high end build. I am at 28 right now with XX1, Haven Carbon's etc. Difference is I am running a Lyrik RC3DH and Monarch RC3 Plus setup. With a Pike and regular Monarch it is sub 27. Take off the dropper and sub 26.

mtbr member
    Just for reference, Medium HD, Revelation WC, XTR triple, Reverb (porky the seatpost)

26.6lbs or 12.06KG, waiting for my Haven carbons to get back from easton.
    Hoping that will shed close to half a pound, "hoping"....

Too Much Fun

Change out the things that will actually make a difference.

Judging from your build, you want a somewhat burlier bike, which is kind of mutually exclusive with a lightweight bike.

The HD/HDR pedals incredibly well for a bike that is typically 27-32Lbs depending on the config. My HD pedaled better then my SL even though it was +2Lbs at least.

Don't bother trying to squirrel away weight on a bike built as you've described.

Lighter wheels & tires, YES.
    Lighter fork and shock? Sure, maybe.
    Lighter axle and BB, don't bother.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey guys! I want to lose weight for racing and to be honest
    My build is kind of a weird one...
    I am running a medium xtr build 1x10, with tubeless single ply tyres, a fox 34 and a rc4 coil and a thomson dropper...
    It is just under 30lb at the moment.
    Of course i know I could lose weight by changing from a coil or the dropper-but those are two things I LOVE! Its the classic case of looking to shed weight from areas that dont really bother me functionally, ie skewers, BB, titanium bolts etc...
    I know these are all small items but they will add up!

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Hey guys! I want to lose weight for racing and to be honest
    My build is kind of a weird one...
    And that's not the only thing that's weird, ya loony! Unless you're willing to make weight concessions on the big items (ie: tires, coil!?!) then it's going to be hard to shed more than a pound on the little stuff which I highly doubt would be perceptible at all. You'll still have a bike that outweighs the XC weenies by a good 25-30%, so why bother? Fly your freak flag & have at it! Personally I think the HD makes for a great sport class XC race bike, given how efficient a peddler it is.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, fair call!
    Loony is probaby appropriate!
    The beauty of losing weight, be it 50gm at a time, of things like skewers and bb is it does add up, and it allows me to run things like a coil and dh tyres and keep the bike at a reasnoble weight. Bike setup is all about compromise-we all run things that a more comfortable but heavier, and conversely lighter but not as effective...
    It is all about finding the balance, and losing weight in areas like this helps this
    So...back to the original question...will these rear skewer fit?

screamer
    I believe the answer is no: the HD uses the maxle, which I understand has a different threading in the dropout than Syntace's X12 system. But drop a line to Ibis : I'm sure they can confirm.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I recently built up an HDR for all mountain riding. 26.8 pounds. I was a real weight weenie with this build. The big savings were in the wheels (I9 Torch) and the Pike fork. However on the smaller parts I was also watching weight while trying to keep good performance. XTR brakes, XX1, Easton carbon bars, Havan stem, etc.

The bike feels super quick and nimble. Climbs really well and accererates out of the corners so fast. Again I think the wheels are playing a big part in the nimble feel. Unlike a lot of other HDR owners I am also running 26 inch wheels. I did not see the point of adding more rotational weight to my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vamaro View Post
    I recently built up an HDR for all mountain riding. 26.8 pounds. I was a real weight weenie with this build. The big savings were in the wheels (I9 Torch) and the Pike fork. However on the smaller parts I was also watching weight while trying to keep good performance. XTR brakes, XX1, Easton carbon bars, Havan stem, etc.

The bike feels super quick and nimble. Climbs really well and accererates out of the corners so fast. Again I think the wheels are playing a big part in the nimble feel. Unlike a lot of other HDR owners I am also running 26 inch wheels. I did not see the point of adding more rotational weight to my bike.

What fork and tires are you guys running to get into the 26 pound range?

mtbr member
    Most people are running the Pike/34 now. Saves 3/4 of a pound over the Lyrik/36. Problem with the 34 is the shorter A2C which steepens the HA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's really the sum of the parts to keep the weight that low. Every gram counts. I am using the Pike fork. 2.35 Hans D in the front and 2.25 Nic in the rear. I also didn't jump on the 650b bandwagon. The only part that I added weight was the Cane Creek shock but its worth the extra 1/2 pound.