mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Really confused on bike direction

So I'd like to pick up an Ibis in the near future. I'm down in Houston, but travel to the Texas Hill Country often so getting something that can handle variety would be nice. Probably about once a year to either east coast or CO for larger mountains, but that is limited.

I'm about 175 on a good day, and up to 185 when I'm porky. Not overly hard on parts any more either since I no longer try to huck it.

I've considered the Mojo SL, SL-R, (HD in passing since I'm a bit larger), and if I can scrape the coin a Ripley. If one was to get a do it all bike, do any of these have a definite advantage?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've always gone by the adage that i'd rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. I opted for the HD. The most fun part of riding for me is the descent, so i wanted a bike that would compliment that the most. And it climbs pretty well too, for what it is. And you can get the HD in the special blend package which is a steal of a deal.

mtbr member

I'm about the same weight. I have an HD. I Ride in Phoenix and mostly ride stuff the SL-r would be more than enough for. I have taken my bike to Oregon, Salt Lake City and Moab. On the trip to Moab my bike was perfect! All other times probably more than I needed. I have done 30+ mile rides ok and love it on the downhill. But I am now in the market for a 29 to compliment (I'm torn btw pivot 429c and Ripley). And expect that my new bike will probably get more use.

If you are trying to go bigger and conquer more technical terrain defiantly get the HD or you will always wonder if the bike is holding you back. If not go for the Ripley with 140 fork. I rode the pivot 429c with 100 in the back and 120 in front (very similar geometry to Ripley with 140 fork, and DW suspension). And was surprised how well it went down fast over rocky terrain with 6 in rocks and turns, easy to manual and turn, and of course went up much better. I think Ripley 140 would be one awesome all around bike only really missing out on big air and slow technical descents an high speed rock gardens. Between SL and SLR get what you can afford. Pretty much the same except SLR is stronger/ stiffer. Hope that helps a little.

At the end of the day it's a bike - get the one that is pulling on your heart, that will inspire you to ride, regardless of what someone one the Internet says and try not to over think it. (I am incapable of not over-thinking)

mtbr member
    The one I would not do is the SL. Layup processes have improved immensely so the minimum I would do is the SL-R. Personally I am an HD guy and if you have a history of doing bigger stuff, get it and don't look back. It is an incredibly capable machine and will get you up the hills just fine.

Bike Addiction
    Climbing is no fun to me on any bike. I bought one of the best climbing bikes I could find (Titus Racer X)and I still have more fun overall on my HD. I must climb to descend here in Alabama. My HD climbs almost as good. I think it pedals as well as the RX uphill but the extra 2 lbs and slack head angle may take away some speed going up. The HD is prolly overkill for 90% of my trails but that 10% is alot more fun now. I wanted the slacker HA and the color scheme in the end. Don't mind the extra lb on the frame. It feels solid! I went HD 140, 32mm 150 fox, Carbon bars and XT build. With heavy tires its only 27lbs even
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    So I'd like to pick up an Ibis in the near future. I'm down in Houston, but travel to the Texas Hill Country often so getting something that can handle variety would be nice. Probably about once a year to either east coast or CO for larger mountains, but that is limited.

I'm about 175 on a good day, and up to 185 when I'm porky. Not overly hard on parts any more either since I no longer try to huck it.

I've considered the Mojo SL, SL-R, (HD in passing since I'm a bit larger), and if I can scrape the coin a Ripley. If one was to get a do it all bike, do any of these have a definite advantage?

I'm a TX rider myself and have the SL. Live in Austin and used to live near Houston. The HD is overkill for this area in my opinion. On that note, ride both and pick your favorite. Everybody here has an opinion and ultimately it's yours that matters. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I also chose the SL for riding in my area (Austin). Although there's a few places the HD would be a bit more fun (City Park), the SL has been exceptional everywhere from Reveille Peak Ranch to Rocky Hill Ranch.

In my case, I purchased the Mojo SL Special Blend for an insanely cheap price and slowly upgraded. Just installed an XX1 kit and new wheels this weekend (after owning the bike a year) and I'm sure this rig will be a whole new animal.

Both SL and HD have Special Blend kits. For the price, these things can't be beat...

mtbr member
    Tough decision. If you like to challenge yourself up the climbs, I say go for the SL-R. If you just like to take your time on the climbs to get to the DH, then HD. I hedged a bit by going with the SL-R, but with a beefier fork (Fox Float 34-160, lowered to 150). Still climbs really well, but also has nice stiffness/plushness for ripping the DH.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    I also chose the SL for riding in my area (Austin). Although there's a few places the HD would be a bit more fun (City Park), the SL has been exceptional everywhere from Reveille Peak Ranch to Rocky Hill Ranch.

In my case, I purchased the Mojo SL Special Blend for an insanely cheap price and slowly upgraded. Just installed an XX1 kit and new wheels this weekend (after owning the bike a year) and I'm sure this rig will be a whole new animal.

Both SL and HD have Special Blend kits. For the price, these things can't be beat...
    Pelly - did you have any issues with the install of the XX1? I'm currently running 1x9 and have been thinking of going to XX1, would love to hear your opinion of it.

If you're in the Austin area maybe a meet up for a ride is in order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zander View Post
    Pelly - did you have any issues with the install of the XX1? I'm currently running 1x9 and have been thinking of going to XX1, would love to hear your opinion of it.

If you're in the Austin area maybe a meet up for a ride is in order.
    Just installed this weekend and no issues (aside from me making a noob mistake with a Chris King BB that ate up some time figuring out).

Unfortunately, crushed at work so no time to ride it yet. Hoping to get some quality time tomorrow!

meh
    I'm still on an original Mojo C riding in DFW and occasionally Austin/Hill country. Agree with what pelly said. At some point I plan to go the HD special blend route, with a 140mm 650b conversion eventually, but i just built up a Lugi disc so it prob wont be anytime soon.... hoping there is an Ibis 650b by then.

mtbr member

I have an SL and an HD, my morning ride is 1,600 climb in 3.5 miles, I'm just as fast on the HD as the SL going up and the HD is way more fun going down. The combo of the stiffer frame and 36mm forks works way better for my 225 lbs