OregonMojo
    Feb 2007

Jumped with size Large! . . . Which fork & other build feedback?

EDIT/UPDATE:
    Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the Large carbon frame with RP23 about Noon today (Saturday) and it'll be here Wednesday!!! I got VERY lucky & found one in stock at a place that I also had a 15% off anything + free shipping discount because they mis-shipped an earlier order of mine. They actually had ONE Large carbon Mojo sitting in stock . . . I'd been watching it for the past couple days while making the final frame size decision, hoping it wouldn't disappear. So will end up getting one 4 days after ordering for only $1,614.

Bribed the LBS guys with excessive beer to build it as soon as it comes in, since I'm extremely busy over the next coupla weeks, then will have two completely free weeks around Bend, OR to ride the Mojo and I want it ready to go! Actually, the beer was probably unnecessary (but happily given) since they're looking forward to getting to build their first Mojo. I'll just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't put too many test miles on it!

So here's the build list, still subject to last-minute mods:
    Frame: Ibis Mojo Carbon L
    Rear Shock: Fox RP23
    Fork: 2007 Fox 32 TALAS X
    Wheelset: Industry 9 Enduro Hubs (20mm thru-axle front/135mm QR rear), Mavic XM 819 tubeless rims, I9 0.1-inch straight spokes -- black hubs, rims & spokes with two red accent spokes at each valve
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor tubeless tires
    Headset: Cane Creek Solos Red
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 or Syntace F119 or KCNC SC Wing Scandium/Ti . . . Still can't decide . . .
    Bar: Giant CF10 XL Low Rise Carbon 31.8 (because I already have several of these new sitting around)
    Grips: not sure, whatever's laying around, or ???
    Bar Plugs: Dangerboy CNC Machined Aluminum Bar End Plugs, Anodized Red, Lazer Etched "Biohazard" (pair)
    Crankset: FSA K Force Light MTB w/integrated red BB with oversize ceramic cartridge bearings
    AJ's Frameguard: AJ's Frameguard
    Pedals: have lots laying around, so not sure which I'll pick or stick with on the Mojo
    Seat Post: KCNC Ti Pro Lite Black/Red
    Saddle: Fizik Aliante Carbon Twin Flex with Carbon Braided Rails and Carbon Scuff Guards, Black/Red Cover
    Rear Der: 2007 SRAM X.0 Long Cage
    Front Der: 2007 XTR FD-M971
    Shifters: SRAM X.0 Twist (pair)
    Brakes: Formula Oro Bianco with Formula rotors 160 f/r
    Chain: 2007 Shimano CN-7701
    Cassette: 2007 Shimano XTR CS-M970, 11-34
    Lizard Skin: Super Jumbo Black, plus other protection ...

Not intended to be the absolute lightest, but getting there. Also wanted durability, smoothness, quality . . . and looks

Also have one very important question -- the Talas X has 130 travel (adjustable down to 110 & 90). Is 130 going to be OK on a Mojo intended for 140? Also considering 32 Float or Talas 140RLC or Pace RC41 or RC40 Fighter ...

Thanks again!

=================
    ORIGINAL POST:
    OK, I've done the research (way too much), planned my build, picked colors, set up the LBS for the build . . . but still have a bit of uncertainty regarding the frame size for my (soon-to-be) Mojo: Large or XL?

I am 6-ft, 1-inch
    175 pounds
    34.5-inch inseam
    24-inch trunk
    14.5-inch forearm
    27-inch arm
    23-inch thigh
    23-inch lower leg

The XL Mojo effective top tube length and seat tube angle exactly match my hardtail's (Scott Scale) XL ETT length & seat angle, and is within 0.1 inch of matching the seat tube length. And I'm comfortably fitted on the Scott, but wouldn't want to be any more stretched out -- I like the open/large fit on the Scott for the riding I do on the hardtail, but am thinking I might want a bit more "closed"/tight fit on the Mojo. Since the Mojo's head tube is a bit shorter than the Scott (145 vs 150) and the head tube angle is slacker on the Mojo (69 vs 71.5), and since I haven't found any way to line up a Mojo demo, I'm asking for any input you folks can offer.

I come from road riding/racing (still do), ride the aforementioned Scott for commuting and light XC, and am ordering the Mojo for my first FS and to move more into "bigger" XC and trail.

I think the XL Mojo frame is the way to go, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something and shouldn't get the Large.

Thanks much for any feedback, and maybe I'll send my build list for review also . . .
    Last edited by jpptmtb; 07-14-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Update

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Hi jp,
    I am very close to your meas.
    6'-.5"
    187#
    34" inseam
    26"trunk ( sit bones to cervical 7 )
    similar arm length
    same lower leg,
    thigh ( i measured from the middle of the greater trochantor - the last bony spot in the middle of the hip on the side of the leg ) 20" {which adds up closer to 34 total?!}

I got to ride both the XL and L before buying. I'd strongly recommend that if you can!
    I went to the LBS with a bias toward going with the XL....

I liked the more relaxed stretched feel on the xl, which would be great if you were thinking more long distance xc - probably great if you're not planning more vertical/technical adventures - the xl i rode had a setback thomson seatpost, likely adding to the stretched feel. I felt like I could make the bike do what I wanted with a modest effort -like hoisting the front wheel up for curbs wheelies etc.
    The bike felt good - just a tad big.

The L which i ended up buying, felt a lot more versatile to me. I could make it do what i wanted with significantly less effort. more intuitive/natural feeling. I felt only slightly compact in the cockpit of the one I rode around the shop vs. noticeably cramped on other mfg. large frames. I am not using a set back post, but the LBS set me up with a longer stem for my bike ~110mm - which all in all feels pretty right. I have the stem set at the top height of the steering tube. My seat post for xc pedaling is set at 20mm above the min. mark, and for varied riding it is set at ~ 35mm - this is with the stock Ibis seat post for the SX model.

I really appreciate the added flickability on tight singletrack. I feel like I have enough room on climbs, and getting back behind the seat is easy.
    One of my personal evaluations i made during my bike search was while standing on the pedals leaning forward, then back and trying to feel how much fore aft movement it takes to shift the weight balance on the bike. Even with the L, the weight shift is not like an on/off switch - it's a progressive transition, which I like, just less movement distance of the body compared to the xl = one of the factors that makes the bike feel more responsive L vs. XL to me.

Just for comparison I demo'd an xl stumpy fsr expert. it was big and comfy - kind of like extra space around you. but i was always aware the bike had a roomy feel to it - great on the out and back portions of the ride - but a bit more bike to 'horse around' otherwise.. in more technical situations.. less of a "at one with the bike" feeling - which I was looking for.

I think it comes down to what you plan to do with the bike. This bike will make you want to try new things, just so you know! Once you jump, you'll like the landing
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

OregonMojo
    Feb 2007
    Scotto, thanks for the quick and complete reply. You really nailed the response I was looking for . . . that I could probably live with either the Large or XL, but was looking for real-world experience on the Mojo to tell me which might be better suited.

Since I will be keeping my other 5 bikes (2 road, 1 hybrid, 2 hardtail), the Mojo really is intended to fill my FS, bigger-trail, nimble-handling slot. But, since I'm also a 49-yo wkend warrior, with only moderate intentions toward those "more vertical/technical adventures" you mention, the more relaxed XL sounds good. On the other hand, I really like very responsive bikes (my main road racer is a Giant TCR Advanced Team compact geometry - and it flys, my main hard tail is a Giant XTC Carbon, plus the Scott I mentioned), and want the Mojo to also feel very responsive, so the Large also sounds good. A lot of what I'll be riding the Mojo on here in Oregon is tight singletrack (Oakridge area, McKenzie, etc.) along with more open XC (Bend area) on occasion. Based on your feedback, I'm now leaning more to the Large, also thinking that I can "expand" the Large (with longer stem, setback post, etc.) more flexibly than I could "contract" the XL.

Thanks again!
    More feedback still welcome!

mtbr member
    May 2007

I went L

I'm about the same height (187cm) and was on the limit of an L.

I went with the L with a 110 stem (zero rise I think). Its perfect and I have the standard Ibis alu seat post on max extension (not above). The bike feels relaxed on downhills nd at the same time very precise on anything technical (perhaps the torsional rigidity of the carbon helps in this regard.

And standover height is better on an L - which is good for the jewels.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007

Responsive

I think for our size range, and sadgit just a bit taller, the L works great - especially if you are thinking nimble/responsive. The large especially with the longer stem is a good fit. I've not wished for a moment for the larger bike. The XL with it's bigger roomier feel also pushes into the 'extra bike' range, kind of like wearing one size bigger clothes than usual. You can wear them, but they feel a little much. The L seems to function like a natural extension of the rider - more of a fluid experience in tight singletrack. I think the XL for our size would take more exagerated body english to effect the same kinds of weight transfers - a bit more thought and work on tighter trails. I 'spose you'd get used to it ....

I'm 47, and I am coming back to the sport from a rigid bridgstone. It's pretty amazing what is possible on these rigs. The Ibis is a great bike for growing your skills with! It won't push you, and it certainly won't hold you back. It seems to encourage me to try new things when I'm ready, and then just do them almost effortlessly. It's quite forgiving... won't dump you on a whim like some bikes/geometries - just a small example if you loft the front wheel and the wheel comes down off line and balance, the bike just seems to self correct and keep right on going - nice!
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

OregonMojo
    Feb 2007

Ordered & Updated!

OregonMojo
    Feb 2007

Ordered & Updated w/Build List!

UPDATE:
    Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the Large carbon frame with RP23 about Noon today (Saturday) and it'll be here Wednesday!!! I got VERY lucky & found one in stock at a place that I also had a 15% off anything + free shipping discount because they mis-shipped an earlier order of mine. They actually had ONE Large carbon Mojo sitting in stock . . . I'd been watching it for the past couple days while making the final frame size decision, hoping it wouldn't disappear. So will end up getting one 4 days after ordering for only $1,614.

Bribed the LBS guys with excessive beer to build it as soon as it comes in, since I'm extremely busy over the next coupla weeks, then will have two completely free weeks around Bend, OR to ride the Mojo and I want it ready to go! Actually, the beer was probably unnecessary (but happily given) since they're looking forward to getting to build their first Mojo. I'll just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't put too many test miles on it!

So here's the build list, still subject to last-minute mods:
    Frame: Ibis Mojo Carbon L
    Rear Shock: Fox RP23
    Fork: 2007 Fox 32 TALAS X
    Wheelset: Industry 9 Enduro Hubs (20mm thru-axle front/135mm QR rear), Mavic XM 819 tubeless rims, I9 0.1-inch straight spokes -- black hubs, rims & spokes with two red accent spokes at each valve
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor tubeless tires
    Headset: Cane Creek Solos Red
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 or Syntace F119 or KCNC SC Wing Scandium/Ti . . . Still can't decide . . .
    Bar: Giant CF10 XL Low Rise Carbon 31.8 (because I already have several of these new sitting around)
    Grips: not sure, whatever's laying around, or ???
    Bar Plugs: Dangerboy CNC Machined Aluminum Bar End Plugs, Anodized Red, Lazer Etched "Biohazard" (pair)
    Crankset: FSA K Force Light MTB w/integrated red BB with oversize ceramic cartridge bearings
    AJ's Frameguard: AJ's Frameguard
    Pedals: have lots laying around, so not sure which I'll pick or stick with on the Mojo
    Seat Post: KCNC Ti Pro Lite Black/Red
    Saddle: Fizik Aliante Carbon Twin Flex with Carbon Braided Rails and Carbon Scuff Guards, Black/Red Cover
    Rear Der: 2007 SRAM X.0 Long Cage
    Front Der: 2007 XTR FD-M971
    Shifters: SRAM X.0 Twist (pair)
    Brakes: Formula Oro Bianco with Formula rotors 160 f/r
    Chain: 2007 Shimano CN-7701
    Cassette: 2007 Shimano XTR CS-M970, 11-34
    Lizard Skin: Super Jumbo Black, plus other protection ...

Not intended to be the absolute lightest, but getting there. Also wanted durability, smoothness, quality . . . and looks

Also have one very important question -- the Talas X has 130 travel (adjustable down to 110 & 90). Is 130 going to be OK on a Mojo intended for 140? Also considering 32 Float or Talas 140RLC or Pace RC41 or RC40 Fighter ...

Thanks again!

www.derbyrims.com
    I'm 6'1 32 inseam, long torso & arms (maybe more gorilla in my DNA?).

I got a large to keep it nimble.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpptmtb
    UPDATE:
    Congrats! Way to find one on sale!!!

These will be longer than normal days....

sweet sounding build!

Look forward to your review!
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!