mtbr member

Reached in the Mojo SL Special Blend grab-bag, here's the build I got...

I just ordered one of these for my GF (she's a lucky lady). First off, has the Special Blend been discontinued? I didn't see it on the Ibis site.

Second off, the build I got was a bit different from what was described on the Competitive Cyclist website. The good: Deore brakes (instead of Elixir 1) and a Shadow+ SLX rear der (Shadow+ wasn't expected)

The OK: Specialized Ground Control tires instead of Kenda Nevegals.

The meh: Sun Ringle Inferno rims on Speed Tuned hubs, instead of Mavic CrossRide complete wheels. Probably not a huge weight diff., but I've had good luck with the reliability of Mavics. Oh well.

Hope she likes it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Amazing gift for your gf! I'm sure she'll be thrilled.

Special Blend has never been on the Ibis US website. It's on the UK site I believe.

Oddly enough, I've even seen configs that use an X-Fusion front fork and a Fox rear shock.

I picked up a Special Blend last year and it came with Elixir 1 brakes, Specialized tires, and Mavic Crossride wheels.

Since then, I've replaced damn near everything. One thing I learned is that the Special Blend is an incredible starting point for an incredible frame. When you consider the frame is $2149, the Special Blend price is pretty exceptional!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Same thing happened to me last year (September 2012) when I bought my special blend Mojo SL from Competitive Cyclist. It had several different parts/specs than the picture on the site.

I emailed them and spent a week or two going back and forth. At the end of the day they subbed out all the parts that were different for the ones pictured, except for the wrong color fork, which had the steerer tube cut. For that they just gave me a decent credit back to make up for the error.

A bit of a hassle, but at the end of the day I got the bike I wanted/expected and couldnt be happier.