RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Questions for you MOJO experts....

First off, I'm 5'9.5" tall and like a 90-100mm stem. Which frame for me (M or L). I am currently on a Medium Turner 6 pack. Also is the SL version much weaker than the regular MOJO? I am a huge turner fan, but this caught my eye. Thanks for your help.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    The Med. may be a bit short if you want a 90 mm stem because I'm 5'7" and use a 90mm. The L seems a bit too large though....like the gap between the M and L is more than the gap in sizing between the S & M.

SL is not weaker....there's a ton of threads about how the SL maintains it's strength. Do a search on this forum and you should find all the answers you're looking for.

Don't let the homers know you want a Mojo.....you'll get an earful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm 5' 7" and ended up buying medium with a 90 mm stem and a center seat post which makes it feel like I'm riding a small (meaning the small frame that I test rode, not that it feels too small). The small I test rode had a 110mm stem, but I felt a little cramped while pedaling. The medium I test rode had a 100mm stem and a setback seat post, just felt too big even with the saddle forward. FWIW, the manager at my LBS, (age was under 30) said he was 5'9" and liked the setup of the test medium.

The SL is not weaker than the regular. I think it's stronger carbon, but less of it = same strength?

If you're a Turner fan, then you should test ride before buying. ddraewwg has a buddy that rides a 5-spot and he doen't like the feel of BB height. (As I see he just posted). Yeah, we won't even let them know you queried here.

www.derbyrims.com

Turner fan here

For downhill with little climbing oriented bikes I'd own a Turner bike or two if I could afford it. I love the Turner bikes handling, DT's got handling dialed. Which is one of many reasons I got a Mojo, the handling is nearly identical to the 5 Spot I rode long ago while looking for a longer travel and efficient climbing bike. Where I live Iíve got to climb a lot so only the Nitrous could come close to the Mojo for climbing efficiency. And for any travel a dw-Link bike is way more efficient climbing plus more freely "active" all the time using less damping without any suspension stiffening feel while pedaling, and has better braking traction too.

Ibis claims the Mojo SL is even slightly stiffer and as durable as the Mojo, and the two years of Mojo production has well proven that no other bike is more durable with this travel.

As far as fit, see this thread for a guy your size:
    Frame Size vs Stem Size for 5ft 9" rider

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG
    First off, I'm 5'9.5" tall and like a 90-100mm stem. Which frame for me (M or L). I am currently on a Medium Turner 6 pack. Also is the SL version much weaker than the regular MOJO? I am a huge turner fan, but this caught my eye. Thanks for your help.
    Keep in mind the toptube (TT) on the Pack is longer than most frames of the same size as the idea was to make the TT longer so you can use a shorter stem. Anyway, get the Mojo size that has the closest TT to your Pack. My guess is that would be a large and compensate with a slightly shorter stem if needed.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess the best thing is to see about demo'ing one from one of the local riders in the area. The 5 spot has a 23" tt where the Mojo has a 22.8". 1/5" can be compensated in the seat rails. Also on my pack I have the seat pushed far forward, as the seat tube angle is more slack. Thanks for the quick replies, and thank you for not telling my fellow homers.

Amphibious Technologies
    and thank you for not telling my fellow homers.
    Oh, you didn't think you're getting away that easy; did yah?

Seriously, base it on the Pack's TT not the Spot's.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Grams Light Bikes
    I am 5'9"+ and ride a medium Mojo with a 110mm, I like the 110 for the extra leverage it gives me on climbs. I have also ridden a 5 Spot and its a better crash and bash at Mach 5 down stuff then the Mojo, but the Mojo is an incredible climber and has great handling. I got the Mojo blind without any test rides, there were only a few in the country at the time so no chance to try one out. A test ride is always a good choice if you have one...

Peace

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think I like the mojo better than the five spot, but do not want to go over 100mm on the stem. I rode a medium in my lbs with a maverick fork and an 85mm stem. It felt a little cramped, but will 15mm make a difference? The seat was right about where I would like it, too. Why is 5'9" such a pain in the arse? Aren't most people about this height? Problem is, I'm leaning towards the Ibis, but don't know what size to get.

mtbr member
    I think I like the mojo better than the five spot, but do not want to go over 100mm on the stem. Why is 5'9" such a pain in the arse? Aren't most people about this height? Problem is, I'm leaning towards the Ibis, but don't know what size to get.
    Yes, I agree, I am 5'9" and find that ideally I fit between a med. & large Mojo. I own a medium but need to use a 110mm stem combined with a set back seat post and the seat pushed back on the rails. If you want to use a shorter stem &/or straight seatpost you will need to get the large. I wish Ibis made an 18" seattube frame with a 23-23.25"tt for the normal height 5'9"-510" riders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    After a lot of uncertainly I think I'm going to go with a medium with a laid back post and a 90mm stem - not ridden that combo yet so it's a real shot in the dark - when the bike arrives I'll let you know how it works out.

My priority was to keep as short a stem as possible, as I prefer the more confident handling on descents and I can carve the bike much easier with a short stem. I did try a 120mm once on my current bike (blur) and while I like the stretched out feel for long rides, the handling sucked in my opinion - way too far over the front wheel on the descents to flick the thing about and have some fun - kind killed my confidence and carving was too twitchy.

I did try a medium mojo with a 70mm stem, and it was great fun to throw about, but I only had 40 mins with it so I couldn't tell if on a full day ride I'd feel a bit cramped up on it. Hence I'm thinking laid back post and 'half way house' stem at 90mm - hopefully not too twitchy!

Cheers

Soulsonic

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I think I like the mojo better than the five spot, but do not want to go over 100mm on the stem. I rode a medium in my lbs with a maverick fork and an 85mm stem. It felt a little cramped, but will 15mm make a difference? The seat was right about where I would like it, too. Why is 5'9" such a pain in the arse? Aren't most people about this height? Problem is, I'm leaning towards the Ibis, but don't know what size to get.
    RPG, soulsonicboy, hrdude

I feel you guys. It's like I said before....the L is too big....it kinda leaves a gap for you "tweeners". Although 5'9" is not an odd height by any means. I think Ibis did the sizing based on a 100-110 stem, not the 90 that is really popular now.

I'm on the Med with a 90 and I couldn't imagine being 2 in. taller (i'm 5'7") and being as comfortable on the bike. In terms of "traditional" sizing, I think I was supposed to be on the S with a 110. Actually, the S with a 110 has about the same ETT as the M with the 90. So for me it was just a choice of how I wanted the bike to be biased....and I chose the more DH oriented ride.

I just looked at the Ibis's site again....and actually, I was wrong. The difference in TT's between the S, M and L are the same......8 in. .8 in. is roughly about 20 mm.

What's the overall length of your bike now? Use that as a guideline.

rode a medium in my lbs with a maverick fork and an 85mm stem. It felt a little cramped, but will 15mm make a difference?
    It will make a difference. My friend has a M Mojo with a 70. I rode it and it was notieably shorter but it still rode very well. I was able to climb the same steep sections with it. I was expecting the front wheel to wander and lift but it didn't. So it will feel different but how that translates into the ride may not be as different as you think.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess the best thing is to see about demo'ing one from one of the local riders in the area. The 5 spot has a 23" tt where the Mojo has a 22.8". 1/5" can be compensated in the seat rails. Also on my pack I have the seat pushed far forward, as the seat tube angle is more slack. Thanks for the quick replies, and thank you for not telling my fellow homers.
    Hi, I owned a 5-spot for three years before the Mojo and the small on-paper difference in BB is not significant on the trail. I actually run less fork sag on my Mojo and as a result the BB is probably the same. YIf you want a taller BB then you have now you could put a TALAS 36 (or Marz 55 or similar) on the Mojo.

In respect to the 5-spot the Mojo descends better, the suspension is much more controlled in response to big downhill hits. Acceleration and uphill are just in another place (way better ).

Good luck with the homers, they might try to scalp you
    Last edited by Davide; 01-19-2008 at 06:03 PM.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

How about this...

A few years ago I was on an older style Santa Cruz Superlight (Medium) with a 110 stem. I can't recall the tt length, but sc's tend to be on the short side. I would have preferred to be a little further back in the cockpit. I too have a 30-31" inseam, and a longer torso at 5'9". The seat was in the middle of the rails. I do not want to go to a lay back seat post either. I think I'm reading the numbers way too much. Should I look into the new Pivot bicycle? They may be sized a little better.

mtbr member
    I think I'm reading the numbers way too much. Should I look into the new Pivot bicycle?
    Yes, numbers (even when accurate) can be very deceiving. I am about your exact size (maybe 1/2" shorter somewhere beteen 5'8" and 5'9") and the Mojo fits me perfectly with a 100mm stem.

I am not too impressed by the looks of Pivot bikes, but Chris Cocalis is one of the few (with Sherwood, Scott) that has really done something in terms of mtb innovation and defining modern trail bikes... for details of construction I am not sure about the integrated BB, but sure like the direct mount front der and the trademark (out of TItus) 8 bearing lower pivot. I am going to test ride one when available at Roaringmouse just for the fun of it. But personally I would get a Mojo if I were you. you are sized fine with it if you used to ride a medium turner
    Last edited by Davide; 01-19-2008 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I ride a med 5 Spot and a med 6 Pack, both with a 70mm stem. I also ride a med Mojo with a 90mm stem and lay-back post. I'm 5'10" and for most of the time the Mojo feels ok sizewise but occaisionally feels a bit small so I may end up switching for a large.

Whilst I still love both the Turners and ride them regularly, for everyday rides the Mojo is streets ahead. Snappier, stiffer, lighter, but with a plusher suspension action. It climbs better, carves singletrack beautifully, and is generally an all-round better bike.

www.derbyrims.com

Pivot or Iron Horse?

A few years ago I was on an older style Santa Cruz Superlight (Medium) with a 110 stem. I can't recall the tt length, but sc's tend to be on the short side. I would have preferred to be a little further back in the cockpit. I too have a 30-31" inseam, and a longer torso at 5'9". The seat was in the middle of the rails. I do not want to go to a lay back seat post either. I think I'm reading the numbers way too much. Should I look into the new Pivot bicycle? They may be sized a little better.
    Pivot bikes aren't due for production until summer and even then we know deliveries to dealers can be much later for any brand. They should be great bikes. I see the Pivot design in a niche between Iron Horse and Ibis in finish quality refinement. I test road a prototype Mach-5 at i-Bike. It's handling felt too steep for the travel and although very smooth pedaling it had a new less bump compliant version of dw-Link using the same shock. Rumor is they are getting a custom softer tuned shock for OEM production. The Mojo is more versatile and can be set up firmer and tight turning more low speed oriented like the Mach-5, or more plush and bump compliant and full range slow to high speed handling as delivered. The Mojo is lighter and stronger than aluminum 5.5 inch travel bikes.

Maybe look at the Iron Horse MKiii, the '07 model's head and seat angle frame geometry is almost identical with the Mojo for handling. I'm not sure about top tube length. Darren at PUSH has measured that the wheel rate leverage is the same as the Mojo so it should have similar bump hit feel although slightly firmer with 1/2 inch shorter travel. But the frame is about a pound heavier than the base Mojo with the same model shock, and it doesn't fit as wide tires in the rear.

I'm 6'1 with 31 inseam (you think you have a long torso?). I'm really comfortable on a large with centered seatpost and seat about 3/4 inch back from center, and 90mm stem, Ibis risers (9 degree sweep) with grip height about the same as seat height. I'd say medium size Mojo for you unless you only ride higher speed trails and want the large size's longer wheelbase stability or like your grip height very low without going to a very long stem on a medium for dealing with a lot of super steep climbing or for XC racing and training.
    Last edited by derby; 01-19-2008 at 10:23 AM.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Derby

That's good to hear about your fit on a large. I don't like the quality of IH bikes. They seem to be just thrown together, the linkage is great though. I think I'll go with the Medium. I live in New England and ride in real tight trails, so the medium would fit me much better, and I think I can get away with a 100mm stem too. If anyone has any pics of mediums with 100mm stems please post them. I'd like to see how the setup looks on it. Thanks and I'll post pics when I have it built up. Sorry Homers. I'll still keep my 6 pack frame though.