mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Question for Hans.

I am looking to get my mojo (2012) HD to its intended head angle. Apparently, the new fox. 34 160mm has a shorter a2c length than a fox 36 160mm.

My question is this: would Offset bushings adversely affect the performance of the rear shock?

The bigger question is would this void my frame warranty?

And finally, would tire rub (2.35, Maxis AD) be an issue?

Thanks,

Cedric

Lightly salted
    You could also try calling them direct, they almost always get the phone and are happy to answer questions. They have a ph# on their website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Some headsets (like C), allow you to buy a crown race that is taller than stock and thus get a similar angle as with the older 36.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Saidrick,
    The difference is .3 degree and could be compensated with a little larger front tire than rear or the offset bushings you mentioned.
    None of this would affect your frame warranty in general. For instance an unrelated issue would be covered as per our usual warranty.
    A 2.35 Specialized tire fits with 6 mm clearance to the seat tube at bottom out. Not sure about the Ardent. You'd want to check and make sure there's no seat tube rub with the Ardent and offset bushings. It will probably work. Changes to the suspension feel will probably be subtle enough to ignore.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Changes to the suspension feel will probably be subtle enough to ignore.
    H
    Hans,

For this statement, I assume you are referring to bushings offset to achieve at fraction of a degree head angle change only. I'm curious to try out offset bushings with my HD, mainly to see how it feels lowering the bb a bit. At what point (how much reduction) will the offset bushings start to noticeably affect the suspension performance, pedaling and descending?

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Mike

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    Hans,

For this statement, I assume you are referring to bushings offset to achieve at fraction of a degree head angle change only. I'm curious to try out offset bushings with my HD, mainly to see how it feels lowering the bb a bit. At what point (how much reduction) will the offset bushings start to noticeably affect the suspension performance, pedaling and descending?

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Mike
    Only making the change to offset bushings, the BB became 1/4 inch lower, static angles calculated to be .3 degree slacker (can't get more offset on the HD). No seat tube clearance problem at bottom travel with a 26 inch wheel and 2.35 tire. Using a 27.5 (650b) wheel I did have to add more bottom limiting shims to maintain seat tube clearance.

While riding I noticed my weight was lower and further back on the rear wheel increasing rear sag a little too, so the dynamic frame angles are a little slacker than static angles. The ride felt lower, this was the overall direction I was looking for, so I made no other adjustments after adding the offset bushings. Pedal strikes increased.

The more rearward position does not help climbing, but the HD climbs so well that climbing position can be compromised and still climb like a goat. Downhill handling is improved, the lower weight center is more stable handling everywhere.

Be careful with this modification. With offset bushings added, check your seat tube clearance at bottom travel (shock deflated and sitting on the bike), more than 1/8 inch gap to the tire is needed to account for flex when bottoming hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the thorough and accurate answer Derby.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Derby for the great answer, and hans for the confirmation.
    I was under the impression that the offsets would have a larger effects (1/2 inch, 1+ degrees). Good to know it's more subtle. Sounds like it's worth trying, but carefully as you say...

Dropshot Champ!
    I would like to know if hans prefers a farmhouse saison to a belgian ipa, and/or what is his favorite beer.

/random

mtbr member
    Brazilian or French?
    Shaken or Stirred?
    Boxers or Briefs?

Okay I really don't care about the last one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Pretty adaptable / not fussy ; )
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.