mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Question about Ripley's E*thirteen TRS+ spec

Not too familiar with E13, and was curious why the crank was spec'd on the XT Ripley build which I am leaning toward.

What advantages are there over a Shimano or SRAM crankset? I usually run a 1X with 34T or 2X with 38/26 mated to 11-36 for all my races (Cat 1, races everywhere from traditional XC to 5 hour events with 7000 feet climbing).

Is the weight of the E13 TRS+ heavier than an XT with bb included? Just seems odd for an otherwise all XT bike to have this crankset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Not too familiar with E13, and was curious why the crank was spec'd on the XT Ripley build which I am leaning toward.

What advantages are there over a Shimano or SRAM crankset? I usually run a 1X with 34T or 2X with 38/26 mated to 11-36 for all my races (Cat 1, races everywhere from traditional XC to 5 hour events with 7000 feet climbing).

Is the weight of the E13 TRS+ heavier than an XT with bb included? Just seems odd for an otherwise all XT bike to have this crankset.
    First of all, we can sub an XT 3x crank if you like. I think the weight is comparable. The E13 BB has WAY less seal drag than the Shimano and really frees up the drivetrain. It's actually noticeable when riding if you're in an XC racer kind of mind set.

The suspension kinematics play into our decision more than anything else though, here's why we spec the E13:

Optimal anti-squat and suspension performance on the Ripley occurs with around a 30 - 34t chainring.
    The fact that the 29" wheels cover more ground in one revolution effectively increases the gearing, so a 34 rides more like a 37t or so on a 26" bike. In other words you do not need as high of gears when running a 29" wheel, so we designed it to be optimized around a gear that's appropriate for the wheel size. The Ripley is one of the first 29rs that uses this approach.

There are currently no 2x cranksets available from Shimano or Sram that have the optimal gearing for 29" and the 100% anti-squat on the Ripley in a useful gear. The triples work great however with a 32 middle ring being right in there. You just don't need the 42T chainring unless you often get going REALLY fast.

E-13 made a great solution for this with a 2x crank with bash. It is actually a 3x crank arm, that is the 2x are in position 1 and 2 and the bash is in position 3.
    In order to match the shape of the crank and the throw of the FD and shifters, you need to run a 3x FD and sometimes 3x shifters.

The FD needs to be clamped higher, related to the bash ring on the E-13 crank as if it were a normal chainring. Not adjusted lower close to the middle ring. (please see the PDF below)

Not simple, but it works great. This is a case of the details being important and difficult to communicate to everyone.

Once you ride the bike, most people are astonished at how well it accelerates and climbs, so we think it's worth the trouble. The bike component companies will catch up with this in the next year or two and the crank and FD selection with appropriate gearing will improve.

We made this to explain. If you are setting up a bike, please check it out:

http://www.ibiscycles.com/downloads/...n_Edit_2.1.pdf

Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 09-06-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sounds like my XTR 1x10 or the xx1 with 32 or 34 is the lightweight simple answer to my riding needs. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good explanation, Hans. Thinking of setting up a Ripley and this is very helpful!

mtbr member
    Hey Hans,

Thanks for being on here answering questions.

To build upon the thread title, could you explain the choice to use the TRS+ crankset instead of the X01 crankset on the X01 spec?

I have not found out anything yet about the compatibility and am considering either building up from the frame set and am planning on the x01 if it works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Sweet crank and ring

I am guessing it may be a price point. It has been flawless
    You are asking about compatibility with? As it is specified to work with the XO1 and has been great with no chain drops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about Ripley's E*thirteen TRS+ spec-p1010542.jpg  

mtbr member
    Another thought of mine was that the TRS+ cranks only go down to 32t and I was looking at the gear range with a 30t ring. I can go as fast as I want with gravity and I'd prefer lower range to allow me to ride more while my knees are regaining strength to push the harder gears.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    Just got word from E13 that the 30t chainrings are now available! We have shipment coming in on Wednesday. Feel free to email me with any questions at mark@probikesupply.com.

mtbr member
    Is the chainline going to be the same on the 30t as the larger ones? The Wolftooth 30t ring for this BCD has a different chainline because of the offset needed for the chain to clear the spider arms.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    The chainline will be the same on all the E.13 1x chainrings. We will also be stocking the 28t in addition to the 30t. You do need a proprietary tool in order to remove and install the replacement chainring so we will be selling the tool as an option with the chainring. I will post a link to this chainring as soon as we get everything up online.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011

mtbr member
    I plan to use Truvativ-ish 22-34 front with a 10(11)-36 on the rear. It works really well around where I live.

Could also be done with e13 enduro cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm building up a Ripley and thinking of going xtr but would like 2x with 22t and 36t. Is SRAM the only option or is this e13 the best solution? Or can I buy xtr crank double and then swap out the rings with e13 or another aftermarket brand.

Help.

Thx

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnreno View Post
    I'm building up a Ripley and thinking of going xtr but would like 2x with 22t and 36t. Is SRAM the only option or is this e13 the best solution? Or can I buy xtr crank double and then swap out the rings with e13 or another aftermarket brand.

Help.

Thx
    I would read the 2nd post in this thread and reconsider your choices. The 36/22 would leave you without any chainring in the "sweet spot" the bike was designed around, 30-34t. Do you really need that much top-end? A 36T is a pretty big gear on a 29'er and would just seem to require more shifting into the little ring during normal riding, and would probably only offer a speed advantage on the road. 36 to 22 is a pretty big jump also, does anyone even make a crank like that stock? My XTR 2x10 cranks were 38/26 and 40/28 (both on 26'er bikes, I've recently went to just a 36t 1x10 setup, but still 26'er while I decide on a new ride). I'm pretty sure they don't do a bigger jump between chainrings because they don't think it would shift well. Most front d's wouldn't be intended for that big of a jump either, so might be more rubbing, difficulty in getting it set up right. Shimano seems to think a 12T jump is the max, SRAM is willing to go a little bigger I think, but not much. Maybe consider a 34/22 instead?
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Dld is right that you won't have a ring in the designed "sweet spot", but I've done that with a XTR double and the bike still pedals spectacularly. I started with the 26/38 rings. 26T was much too high for my riding and legs, so I swapped it for a 22T Blackspire ring (specifically for the XTR crankset). I've kept the 38T ring even though the 16T jump is bigger than the 14T Shimano - because of laziness, really, not because I'm attached to the 38T - but shifting is fine. I've had a few dropped chains shifting down to the 22, but I've learned how to avoid that pretty simply. A 36T would be better. A 34T would also probably be fine; I don't know that I need the highest gears I have and I don't use them often, but I do occasionally.

So, bottom line is that the Shimano XTR double (the trail version, not the race) works great with the Ripley. I think it would be better to have a 22/34 or 22/36 than my 22/38, but even that works very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I Definitely need 22t (I'm old and heavy and most rides are straight up and then down) for new XL Ripley....

If I want to go 22 x 32/34/36, what is easiest route/most cost effective way to go if I want xtr? In other words, buy "trail" XTR at 38 x 26 and replace both rings? Or, go triple xtr and put bash on, replace 24 with 22, and call it a day. Or, go e 13 route with 22 x 36 and call it a day too ( or replace 36 with 34.

Either way, which are best replacement rings?

I'm ordering tomorrow so additional suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I Definitely need 22t (I'm old and heavy and most rides are straight up and then down) for new XL Ripley....

If I want to go 22 x 32/34/36, what is easiest route/most cost effective way to go if I want xtr? In other words, buy "trail" XTR at 38 x 26 and replace both rings? Or, go triple xtr and put bash on, replace 24 with 22, and call it a day. Or, go e 13 route with 22 x 36 and call it a day too ( or replace 36 with 34.

Thanks.
    You can go either way. I went with the XTR 2x10 and just swapped out the small ring for a 22T (though as I said above, I probably should have swapped the big ring for a 36T or 34T). I thought about going with the 3x10, especially because I could get a better price for that. I thought the 32T might be too low a top gear so I'd end up having to replace two gears with that set-up, too; and I thought two rings on the double would be cleaner than on the triple. So either way would work. I think that which is better depends on whether you want to replace one or two rings, and if only one ring, if you'd rather end up with a 38T or a 32T. So I think this comes down to what would work best for your riding - and especially how much you want the 32T for regular riding or need a taller gear for top-end speed.

If I was to do it again, I think I'd have gone for the triple and have a 32T ring instead of the 38T. The only time I'd miss the top-end speed would be on the pavement, and I do find the 38T to be too tall for much of my regular riding.

As for the rings, the Blackspire 22T I bought is working great. You have to get the one made especially for the current XTR because the small ring uses a different spacing. I bought mine from Price Point:
    (080 BLA052 642 Blackspire SuperPro Chainring M980 6 21.98)

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Thanks.
    I would just go with the stock E-thirteen setup. Doesn't it already have the rings you want?
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    I would highly recommend going with the 2014 Raceface Next SL 2014 Race Face NEXT SL 2x10 Speed Crankset - Pro Bike Supply which comes stock in 22-36. The crank is incredibly light, has a 30mm spindle (compatible with the Ripley when using the Raceface BB), is very durable and can be converted to any chainring combination (including 1x with no propriety tools). Plus the matte finish matches the Ripley very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    thanks for the input....Just ordered an XL Ripley with Shimano bottom bracket. So, I'm going with XTR cranks either double or triple and replacing the small ring.

Also, on my last bike, I had an XT 3X10 and replaced the 24t ring with a 22t shimano 9 speed ring. It worked great. It was the FC M770 chainring.

Can't wait to build her up and ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    that crankset looks awfully tempting though

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Bike Supply View Post
    I would highly recommend going with the 2014 Raceface Next SL 2014 Race Face NEXT SL 2x10 Speed Crankset - Pro Bike Supply which comes stock in 22-36. The crank is incredibly light, has a 30mm spindle (compatible with the Ripley when using the Raceface BB), is very durable and can be converted to any chainring combination (including 1x with no propriety tools). Plus the matte finish matches the Ripley very well.
    That really does look nice! I like the flexibility in chainring combinations, plus that fact that you can get 22/36 stock. Too late for me, I've already got my XTR, but it would be worth looking at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I would just go with the stock E-thirteen setup. Doesn't it already have the rings you want?
    Just found this thread.
    When I decided that the Ripley was to be my dream machine as a B-day present to myself, I was most concerned that the gearing was too high. I'm a fairly strong rider at my tender age of 67 who was use to a three ring circus XT crank with a 20-32-42 set up. Yes, I know the 20 is low but here on the Mendocino coast we have hills upon hills to chug up. The 20 tooth (AARP issued gear) was phenomenal for climbing trails like South Weir, Widow Maker or the dreaded uphill of Steam Donkey after a brief warm up climb on Big Tree.

The Ibis folks who are familiar with our terrain (Home of the original Ibis -Fart Bagg as Scot calls it) assured me that the eThirteen crank set up would be satisfactory. Still I hesitated for a moment or two, then I made the leap of faith from the XT to the eThirteen TRS crank set up. It was magic! The Ripley climbs like a beast in the 24 tooth ring. Could I be dreaming? Nope, trust these guys they know what they are doing. The 24-34 set-up is kick ass and this is coming from an old fart rider like me who feels like I'm 30 years younger. I still don't bounce well.

Ibis is trying harder to be all it can be and they don't have to go to war to prove it!
    Thank you Scot and Hans for your ingenuity and passion. You have made an older guy feel younger every day...