mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Push tuned dhx rc4 on hd?

I am looking for more out of my HD and I can't get it out of the RP23 that's on there. Wondering if anyone has tried the RC4 - Factory Tune System or Factory Tune System Elite with this frame. If so would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I put up a review a few weeks ago... I coppied it below... I am loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by jsolorza View Post
    Hello all,

I have seen a few post recently about coil shocks and which are the best and I wanted to give a review of a PUSHED 2012 RC4 on my HD...

I have had the RC4 for about 6 months and I have spent a lot of time "playing with" the settings. I never quite got the shock were I wanted it to be. It felt better than the DHX air I had originally but I had read reviews of coil "transforming the bike" and I never quite got that...

I run the bike as a mini DH bike that I pedal to the top of the hills and take to bike parks I am in upstate NY so this bike has sees Whiteface and Plattekill a few times a year. I run a 180 Float up front. My biggest concern was control on the descents and control on drops and jumps (I also do quite a bit of FR with it also)

It only took about a week from the time I sent it to PUSH and the time I got it back. I will note that I increased the rebound 3 clicks... WOW!!! It feels like a completely different shock. It tracks the rough so much better, feels plush and predictable and still POPS of the lips. It feels like it has more travel now yet it is smooth at the end stroke, even bottoming out feels great. The new PUSH bump stop FEELS better!!

I know that you "should" be able to tune the shock yourself with all the adjustments on the RC4 but there is somthing to the custom re-vale... the shock feels like it was created for MY BIKE! Worth every penny!

Here are some picks for you to enjoy:

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi jsolorza,
    Did you do the Factory Tune or the Factory Tune Elite? How did you describe what you were looking for in the tune? Any other recommendations?
    Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey corman69,
    I went with the elite tune... I wanted the High compression revalved as well (get it all done)

I use my bike as a DH/FR bike that I can pedal around as well. I told them this and were I live (east cost) big jumps and drops and very steep tech terrain. We also went over how much I weigh and the correct spring rate.

You can have them call you to go over the how you want it to perform and I recommend doing that.

Over all it just feels more controlled... sticks to the ground better and corners better but also pops of the lips of a jump better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Thanks!!!

Hey jsolorza,
    I'm taking your advice. I put order in today for both the shock and PUSH service. Matt at PUSH was great to talk to and answered all my questions. Two other question I have for you… are you running DU bearings in the shock eyelets or the newer polymer (Igus) bearings from Fox? Steel spring or Ti?

Seriously, thanks a bunch for the input… No better endorsement than a fellow HD rider!
    Corey

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey Corey,
    Happy I could help... The turn around time was fast and I feel the price was worth the performance!

I just ordered the New du bushings so right now I am running the old ones and I have steel spring now. The guys at push said they are going to start selling the ti springs and I might grab one down the road but they said the weight savings were small.

Did you get a ti spring?

Let me know how you like it once you get it back
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi J... I put the Pushed RC4 on my bike last friday and did a short ride then took it up to Sunday River DH park in Maine on Sat. I cannot believe how much the Pushed coil improved the performance on an already great bike. Not quite as plush on the small chatter as the RP23 but virtually bottomless on the bigger stuff. Launches off jumps like it should and landing on drops are like landing in a box of marshmallows. Very impressed overall. I like the bike to ride higher in the travel normally so the stiffer beginning travel isn't a big deal. I might try a lighter spring for general trail riding. I still need to log more miles first. Feels pretty good right where it is.

BTW, I saw you sold your HD on PB. Looking for a bigger rig? I can certainly understand that. Though I rode some really gnarly stuff in Maine with a bunch of guys who have DH bikes like Intense M9, Knolly Podium, Corsair Maelstrom, etc. and I was able to keep up just fine. At times I was in front.... and that's with a Float 160 in front. However, I will say that having a 2 or 3 degree slacker HA and a more relaxed SA would have been nice.

Good luck with your next ride and thanks again for influencing my decision. I have no regrets!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Glad to hear you like it... The dh has been a fantastic bike... Started doing some racing so I figured I would try a dh bike... The dh has killed on the dh and is have been able to keep up with the big bikes. I agree with the big hit capabilities of the dh...

Enjoy!