mtbr member

Proto Inverted X-Fusion

Looks good
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proto Inverted X-Fusion-xfusion-inverted-all-mountain-fork-600x600.jpg  

Mtb Guide
    Looks sic.

Though Im not going to another hub std so they better get that right, I like where XFusion have been going in recent times hope they continue that.

Be interesting to see the info they release.

Weapon of Choice
    True, but I can see getting lots of scratches/gouges down there.

Super Unknown

Mtb Guide
    Only a proto at this stage?

Bound to run some sort of guard system like motos or like DVOs new inverted DH fork, they are also going to be doing inverted AM/Enduro forks in the future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They considder production for 2015. That's a long way to go till then.
    I don't understand what is the fuss about these protos of upside down forks. Fox had one proto that did one test run at a Dh WC. That was it. The hype went off like crazy though.

It's the same with DVO: lot's of press releases, no product yet.

On the other hand, the Manitou Dorado is always around and not better than other forks. And not worse maybe.

Build it, let people ride it. If it's big, then we'll see.

Mtb Guide
    I don't think anyone is fussed, just something new from XFusion, its not new as you say, Marzocchi have done it as well, just something to follow, Im very happy with my current fork, still like seeing new stuff or stuff that helps develop what we have, otherwise Id still be rocking my old Orange Bomber haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They look great

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Looks flexy.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Looks flexy.
    Yes, it makes more sense currently for inverted to be a duel-crown/triple-clamp fork to keep the uppers stiff. But that adds weight.

Maybe the x-fusion plan is to make the upper legs, single-crown, and stem all one piece. Then it could be nearly as stiff as a double-crown and lighter. An all carbon fiber one piece inverted upper would be even stiffer and lighter, eh?

Hey x-fusion, make the coil version a u-turn adjustable height type too!

.... And do u-turn adjustment to the Vengeance coil in the mean time. My custom u-turn adapted Vengeance HLR coil is working great with my HD and Vector HLR coil! I use the height adjustment on nearly every ride, from long climbs at 125 to 130mm, tight twisty hard pack at 135 to 140mm, rocky gnar or fast descents at 150mm, to very steep down and DH park at 170mm travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what's the advantage of inverted forks ?

seems like they would be much more prone to being ruined by scratch (see how many people have lower scratch, yet very few have upper ones) rendering this design impractical...

mtbr member
    Good: Lower unsprung weight (better response), continously lubed seals, beefy and stiff legs, looks cool.
    Bad: No bridge to stiffen up the twisting forces of the fork, so must either use double clamps on top or some internal stiffening system to keep them from twisting and causing vague steering.

More: X-Fusion Prototype Inverted Fork - Eurobike 2012 - Pinkbike

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Good: Lower unsprung weight (better response), continously lubed seals, beefy and stiff legs, looks cool.
    Bad: No bridge to stiffen up the twisting forces of the fork, so must either use double clamps on top or some internal stiffening system to keep them from twisting and causing vague steering.

More: X-Fusion Prototype Inverted Fork - Eurobike 2012 - Pinkbike
    The unsprung weight thing is a myth, given the % of weight saved by not having cast magnesium/aluminum lowers. Those lowers are light, even for the Marzocchi 66 they were only 3/4 of a lb, and remember, as far as unsprung weight for an inverted, there's the stanchions, dropouts, spring, internals, oil sitting in the bottom, axle, hub, disc rotor, disc caliper, spokes, rim, rim strip, tire, and tube (if so equipped). What % of that total weight is saved by not having those light one-piece lowers? An insignificant amount. About the only real benefit is the better lubrication. Single crown inverted forks make nose sense and are ridiculous from a design standpoint because you get a bunch of problems to design around and you miss the entire point of inverted forks, which is to increase bushing overlap with long travel and increase strength/rigidity fore-aft when casing doubles. The single crown version completely misses out on the bushing overlap and ends up being crazy unacceptable in torsion.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Maverick was about to release a carbon duc36 fork before they went under. I was told that, that fork was really stiff, but only 10 of them or so were ever made. The person responsible for that now works at X-fusion, so I think you will see this fork evolve.