No Tail-Just a Nub

Protecting that oh-so-pretty carbon...

I just picked up a mojo in raw carbon and was reading through the manual (after getting it home). It talks about vinyl protectors that I did not see in the packet, and I am wondering just what they are and where they go, as part of a more general question regarding recommendations for places on the frame that need protection and how best to do that. Thanks much...

mtbr member
    You should have received a small sheet of round plastic stickers you can mount on your frame to prevent cable induced wear. Not sure if anyone uses it though...

In any event, this thread should answer all of your questions.
    Protect your frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You will want to protect that frame in any location adjacent to moving parts or in areas that might encounter projectiles because that clear coat is easily marred (itíll flake off like the sugar coating on a glazed doughnut), but a few well placed protectors will dramatically reduce damage to the clear coat. Protect the frame under cable and hydraulic brake housings that contact the frame, around your chain stays, and under the bottom bracket shell and down tube just for starters. There are several excellent threads on this forum that detail products and clever strategies to minimize frame damage. One rider made the coolest chain stay protector that I have ever seen. Protect your frame before too many rides or the wear will be obvious.

mtbr member
    Yeah that dude with the homemade chainstay protection is a sewing pimp. He needs to go into business and start making these since Lizard Skins is slacking.