Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Protect your frame

Just a heads up to current and future Mojo owners. The finish on the nude carbon will scratch and wear through pretty easily. It's a very good idea to use some kind of clear protection, especially in high wear areas. The crew at Ibis includes some clear protection stickers, so make sure you use them. But even these are not enough. I applied a product called BONK protection film to the larger areas of the frame and it seems to do the trick.
    After a few months of use, my frame is definitely showing some serious nicks and scratches. Not a knock by any means. Scot and co. have posted here on the frames' durability and the steps that should be taken to protect it.
    Force yourself to take the time and apply this stuff (tough to do when you could be riding it!) But it is definitely worth it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    Just a heads up to current and future Mojo owners. The finish on the nude carbon will scratch and wear through pretty easily. It's a very good idea to use some kind of clear protection, especially in high wear areas. The crew at Ibis includes some clear protection stickers, so make sure you use them. But even these are not enough. I applied a product called BONK protection film to the larger areas of the frame and it seems to do the trick.
    After a few months of use, my frame is definitely showing some serious nicks and scratches. Not a knock by any means. Scot and co. have posted here on the frames' durability and the steps that should be taken to protect it.
    Force yourself to take the time and apply this stuff (tough to do when you could be riding it!) But it is definitely worth it...
    Sounds like good advice. Any info on where to get BONK?
    For max protection under a few high wear cable areas, I used little adhesive carbon fiber pathes that are made by Token, and available from a few sellers on eBay. They come with a Token logo, but a quick swipe with acetone removed the logo leaving a nice strong protective patch that doesn't look out of place on the carbon frame. The patches that Ibis provided are almost invisible when installed, but I'm not sure how long they will last under high-rub areas.
    Also, has anyone fitted a Lizard Skin to the chainstay? If so, what size worked?

www.derbyrims.com
    Couple earlier suggestions from deep in the Mojo Build thread:

noshortcuts:
    This clear tape looks good for these protective purposes: http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=173&bc=F
    Outdoor grade, clear, no yellowing, and protective.

Tall Tom:
    In regard to protective films, we have used a 3M product called "Leading Edge Tape". This stuff is used to protect airplane wings, so I'm pretty confident that it's up to the task of protecting a mountain bike. It's available from aircraft supply companies such as Aircraft Spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ngedgetape.php
    in 100 ft rolls. It's kind of expensive, but 1 roll will probably last you a lifetime.

Also I found a $4 small roll of 3M car upholstery clear tape at a car parts store (Kragan in San Rafael) that seems to hold up very well to cable rub (unlike most other cheap plastic tape which wears out quickly).

Rather than wrapping the stays, I'm using double sided tape to hold shaped scissor snips of inner tube onto the chain and rear stays to eliminate chain slap noises and protect the stays. My Mojo is very quiet now even in very rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I found that Specialized makes a chain stay protector big enough to fit around the chainstay. The two seem to get along quite well together.

Also durring a 6 hour race last week I noticed the bottom of the bottom bracket was taking a beating from my chain if I left it in granny gear during desents. (It was 6 hours and I got tired... sue me for running the granny gear.) So I stuck a peice of velcro over the affected area and it worked just fine. It was just the soft fabric side with sticky tape on the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can you post pic's of the affected areas, & of what you did? Which Spec model chain stay protecter?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's a link to that bonk product I referenced. Most of the online stores have it, pricepoint is where I purchased. The stuff Tom referenced is really expensive, but probably is bulletproof. Price per square inch may actually be the same, it's just that this is sold in a smaller size. This is a 3M product as well, so it should last a long time.

http://www.bonkprotection.com/index_flash.html

Trail Rider
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    After reading this post I put carefully-trimmed black protective tape on the side of the headtube wherever housing could rub during handlebar turning and/or suspension action which causes housing to go up and down. Can't even see the protector on the frame!

I took an old thin road inner tube and tightly wrapped the chainstay and secured it with black electrician's tape; again, can't even tell it's there! The bike was super quiet before, and I'm sure it'll go to the next level of stealthness now.

And I put a thin layer of protection on the underside of the downtube.

Quiet, lightweight and durable. I know mtb riding is not about keeping things clean and "pretty," but if I can preserve the frame I will.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    3m motorcycle fuel tank protector kit. It's the right quantity, cheap, very thin and will fold around curves very easily.

flow where ever you go

good one

Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    3m motorcycle fuel tank protector kit. It's the right quantity, cheap, very thin and will fold around curves very easily.
    where is it found? Is it common in motorcycle stores or online?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    where is it found? Is it common in motorcycle stores or online?
    Google search & surf found this 3M Paint Protection Kit for bicycles:
    $25 online. 2" x 48" plus 1" x 48"

http://www.empireclearshield.com/sit...roduct/PPFbike

flow where ever you go

better yet

Quote Originally Posted by derby

I did google for it but had "motorcycle" in the terms and did not find much, and not this.

This seems good because it has 1" and 2" tape in the kit, which is great for the intended purpose - bicycles!

It appears to be an identical product to BONK but with 1 and 2 inch tape instead of 2" and 4".

MTBR Contributing Editor
    He gads, this is the deal to go for

http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=173&bc=F

I have used it all over the bike. A great product. 1 inch x 30 feet for $15

Covered about 75% of the rear triangle in it and the bottom of the down tube. And its easy to cut and it bends pretty well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby

I wonder what the application solution is ? Soap water ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Mojo protection

Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    Sounds like good advice. Any info on where to get BONK?
    For max protection under a few high wear cable areas, I used little adhesive carbon fiber pathes that are made by Token, and available from a few sellers on eBay. They come with a Token logo, but a quick swipe with acetone removed the logo leaving a nice strong protective patch that doesn't look out of place on the carbon frame. The patches that Ibis provided are almost invisible when installed, but I'm not sure how long they will last under high-rub areas.
    Also, has anyone fitted a Lizard Skin to the chainstay? If so, what size worked?
    Hey MJ51 try specializeds chainstay protector. All the Lizard skin protectors didn't fit, at least all the ones at the bike shop. They had Specialized stay protectors and I have the biggest enduro one they had and it works great a perfect fit.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Here is a pic of my Mojo, I used the leather carbon lizard skin chain stay protector, I also added one small piece right behind the chainrings and under the chainstay, that took care of any chain slap I was getting, the main noise was the chain hitting that lower spot, with the twist in the chainstay and the drive trains geometry the top of the chainstay doesn't seem to get slapped as much.

I put lots of tape on any place that might get scratched...I took a huge digger on Tuesday and the frame made a monster hit square on a rock and all it did was peel the tape, amazing.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pastajet; 12-14-2006 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This might be worth a try as well. Im going to order 2 diff rolls to see if the colored one or standard black looks better.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.as...pe=&catnum=113

goto catalog page 772 and hit enter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I know this is an older thread but I was digging around in anticipation of receiving my mojo and found this product.

http://www.veloskin.com/products.html

Looks like you can get a decent kit for $21.95.

www.derbyrims.com
    Another option that looks good from the moto world:

http://www.tapeworks.com/Surface%20P...ctionFilm.html

holding back the darkness
    I went to my local automotive window tint/body shop and picked up a slice of 3M ClearBra material. Kinda expensive, but it works pretty well and was easy to manipulate. Plus, it becomes pretty much invisible, even on my Guiness Foam frame. But I missed a spot on my chainstay that I thought was protected by my neoprene chainstay guard. The finish doesn't appear to be very durable unproteced, I'm afraid... and after ten miles or so I managed to chew through the clear, the paint, and in a smaller patch the base layer- OUCH! On my first ride!
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I was actually able to score 30 ft of 2.5in and 30ft of 1.5in off of ebay for 14.99. Talk about a deal!

mtbr member

Chainstay Protection Handlebar Tape

Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    For the chainstay I decided to give a try to road bike handlebar tape. I picked a fake carbon variety on E-bay for a few dollars and here it goes. It looks very good (better then in the photo, it blends in with the frame), can be applied very easily and in layers if you want to (you just have to cut it in strips corresponding to the 3M tape) and works perfectly: not a blip of noise from the chainstays It came with a pair of nice "carbon" handlebar plugs that actually look nice on the bike and look sturdy, better then the original overengineered "LOVE" plugs by Azonic

PS sorry for the weightweenie scale! but I did save 19 grams!!!!
    Last edited by Davide; 04-12-2007 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just finished building my bike, and after trying out multiple different chainstay guards with unsatisfactory results, I decided to make my own. I think overall it came out pretty good considering I hand stitched it. I used two chainstay guards and a chunk of old tube to make it. I used the tube along the inside of the dropout so it would conform to the stay and clear the chain when it is in the highest gear. I placed some double sided tape on the inside of the frame before installing the guard so the rubber will be held firmly to the conturs of the frame. I spoke to the guy's at ibis at the sea otter and they said they are working with lizard skins on a proprietary guard. Until then I think this one should work pretty well.

mojo mofo
    I look forward to the proprietary guard, good job on your custom one session.

mtbr member
    There's a lot of good information regarding some sources for paint protection film but does anyone have any updates regarding their effectiveness?

ie. Is the standard 8mil good enough? Or should I go thicker? Any peeling taking place?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast