Thread: Project Gina

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Project Gina

Hi all... after 10 years of dismissing full suspension as something I'd never need, I got seduced by the Mojo and got one.

Now I'm taking my time to build the bike. Can anyone tell me why they'd go with Float vs Vanilla? Talas is out for me; I have a Tora U-turn on my hardtail and I never touch the travel adjust.

Thanks for your opinions! Can't wait to get her finished!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey filmlab,

nice frame . I'm still waiting for mine (Mojo SL) and already have my future fork here - a Pace RC41 Fighter - a real beauty - some other riders here seem to get good results from it.

If you don't want travel adjust - how about a Manitou? They are supposed to be light and good - at least they are used on some Mojo SL builds.

Cheers
    Jever

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by filmlab
    Can anyone tell me why they'd go with Float vs Vanilla? Talas is out for me; I have a Tora U-turn on my hardtail and I never touch the travel adjust.
    Weight.

Float is lighter. I'd personally go w/ Vanilla, for performance reasons.

I'm waiting on my SL - have the kit ready - gonna build it aggro, around a Pike 454 - I love that fork, would never go with a Fox against a Pike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Ro.nin and Jever. I've heard good things about the Pike (saw it in action too, looks lovely) but shall avoid rockshox for now since I already have one on the hardtail.

It sure seems like the float vs. vanilla argument is all about weight, stiction and coil vs air. Weight's not a biggie for me, and my LBS guy told me that air forks are really plush these days. I was leaning towards a vanilla because I prefer not to mess around with pumping and of course it has no stiction.

I've seen the Pace RC41 Fighter on some builds here... What's to recommend about it? I'll be trying to find out stuff about White Brothers forks too. I don't know about marzochhi and manitou, they both seem more DJ oriented.

Another area which I'm curious about feedback for: Dual control levers. Anyone used them? I like how they tidy up the bars and think low-normal actually makes sense. But I reckon I'll go with SRAM triggers and a X.0 rear mech coz of chainslap, or the lack of it

www.derbyrims.com
    Thanks Ro.nin and Jever. I've heard good things about the Pike (saw it in action too, looks lovely) but shall avoid rockshox for now since I already have one on the hardtail.

It sure seems like the float vs. vanilla argument is all about weight, stiction and coil vs air. Weight's not a biggie for me, and my LBS guy told me that air forks are really plush these days. I was leaning towards a vanilla because I prefer not to mess around with pumping and of course it has no stiction.

I've seen the Pace RC41 Fighter on some builds here... What's to recommend about it? I'll be trying to find out stuff about White Brothers forks too. I don't know about marzochhi and manitou, they both seem more DJ oriented.

Another area which I'm curious about feedback for: Dual control levers. Anyone used them? I like how they tidy up the bars and think low-normal actually makes sense. But I reckon I'll go with SRAM triggers and a X.0 rear mech coz of chainslap, or the lack of it
    Air shocks and forks are fine for most riders. Weight wars are probably the biggest reason air is used on new bikes, and quick set up for test rides for many rider weights. In rough conditions stiction is not so noticeable, and most riders have never experienced quality coil suspension to know any better.

For coil forks the PIKE 454 U-turn has been getting the best reviews for 140mm travel, Lyrik U-turn for 160. The Fox RLC 140 is about .5 pound lighter, but noticeably flexier in rocks. The most externally adjustable new Rockshox Vivid coil rear shock sounds like it could be the best complement to a DW-Link (if they fit the bike). I don’t have much knowledge of the Pace forks, most reports on MTBR on these post good things, there were reports of some seal failure issues and DT Swiss bought them last year so any quality problems should improve.

You know my steez...
    Hi all... after 10 years of dismissing full suspension as something I'd never need, I got seduced by the Mojo and got one.

Now I'm taking my time to build the bike. Can anyone tell me why they'd go with Float vs Vanilla? Talas is out for me; I have a Tora U-turn on my hardtail and I never touch the travel adjust.

Thanks for your opinions! Can't wait to get her finished!
    Great color! Can't wait to see the final build.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

White rims?

Ok, technically, I'm colourblind, so this is a really important question:

Do white rims

go with Eddy Orange and black contact points?

And of course the performance of these wheels are important. I intend to do light freeride and some AM.

Thanks heaps I used to build R/C trucks so it rubs off some.

May the Force be with you
    I like the look of these wheels. How's the performance of them? I've been looking to switch over to Syncros my self.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

go classic

don't think the white is going to work for you unless you get white tires. too many colors.
    esp with a different color fork. the orange is the feature color and it,s bright. I would try and keep it black and grey and feature the bright frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    IMHO,
    Did not like dual control levers myself. They haven't been the revolution that shim thought they would be. They were really finicky to keep adjusted before I pulled them off. Oh yea, on a dual control road lever you have the ratchet affect so even if the throw is long (ie yo word: dual control), you could still make it a 2 part shift on the front ring. But, oops shirtmano neglected that feature on dual control for mtb.
    Anyway, the rapid fire plus are finally competitive with the sram stuff again, I really like them and with the new shadow rear der shifting is phenomenal. (at least the xt version was awesome, some guys here have just started using xtr shadow ask them. I'm just a lil concerned about lateral flex on the sgs [long ] carbon cage combined with eventual pivot flex aka the xtra pivot point location for the reach on the shadows. Take an ole regular der and flex it laterally after a year or so) Oh yea, I swear I had a source, though I can't find the link right now that makes after market super stiff+light weight replacement alum cages for these I beleive at least I had a link for the old derailleurs ........Sure is purdy though.
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...r__shadow.html
    http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/sho.../size/big/cat/
    Last edited by ghawk; 03-20-2008 at 04:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

orange, black & white has my vote

Ok, technically, I'm colourblind, so this is a really important question:

Do white rims

go with Eddy Orange and black contact points?

And of course the performance of these wheels are important. I intend to do light freeride and some AM.

Thanks heaps I used to build R/C trucks so it rubs off some.

I think orange, black and white would look amazing. The inevitable silver parts blend in well with the white.

mtbr member
    I love that orange...but decided on a SL...Do the white rims..break it up..most orange frames are doing the black thing...are you good enough rider to back up the bling...just remember you can always sell them...Need pics when your done...mine will be next week ...ride hard ...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    sweet frame, be sure to post a picture when its fully build up
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Final build-up

Finally took delivery on Saturday (17 May 2008)

Hello, Gina.

(larger file here)

(larger file here)

(larger file here)

(larger file here)

(larger file here)

(larger file here)

Setup:
    Chassis
    Frame: Ibis Mojo Eddy Orange
    Headset: FSA Carbon
    Shock: Fox RP23
    Fork: Fox Vanilla R

Cockpit*
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4
    Handlebars: RaceFace Next Carbon
    Grips: Oury Lock-ons
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Saddle: Selle Italia Filante Gelflow Manganese

Drivetrain
    Crankset: KCNC Bearbones XC1
    Cassette: XTR
    Chain: Soul gold
    Pedal: Wellgo B52
    Brakes: Shimano XT
    Shifters: XTR
    Cabling: Shimano
    Front Dee: XTR
    Rear Dee: XTR Shadow
    Wheelset: Megan Racing hubs (red) *120 point engagement/ DT spokes / Rims Salsa Delgado Race black
    Tires: Crossmarks with presta tubes

Only 2 days and I've managed to put 98km on the bike. My goodness... It makes me grin from ear to ear. What a terrific ride! It's like going from a beat up Honda to an European car, sort of.

Anyway thanks, fishboy2807 for the protective decal. My LBS ordered a bunch of the kits from you, and he threw it in for free into the build. I also got a bike computer (Sigma 1606) and a bike stand thrown in.

Overall a great ride and well worth my two month wait to get the parts together.

Rides a Bike
    Nice shiny build filmlab. How nice is it bounding out the door on a freshly built bike!

I'm a little jealous of the colour... I think eddy orange is probably my fave colour now that i've seen all of them in the flesh.

But only 95km in two days — you can do better than that man — call in a few sick days and put some serious miles down. I'll write you a note

Fish

BTW thanks for the thumbs up on the protective decals.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nah, I saw an eddy orange in real life and I guess the color doesn't suit me. Of coarse it stands out in a ride but it somehow doesn't blend with the surrounding. I prefer a bike that blends with the surrounding. So I guess I prefer darker colors?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Fishboy: It's very nice indeed and I've taken the precautionary measure of wrapping up the rear triangle in spare tubing. And oh, I wish I could have put more miles on it, but I was working over the weekend (we are moving to new offices) and this was the best I could do. In the end I just decided to stop work and just go ride! Work less ride more right?

And I love the colour! Somehow the camera can't quite capture it, but it's a little brighter in real life -- there's a glow to the paint job that doesn't show up in digital. It's like a buttery kind of orange in certain light. Kinda 'pops' more than in my pics.

Wheelhot: I guess you do prefer darker colours - I nearly went for nude myself but they didn't have it in my size.