Thread: Progression....

mtbr member
    May 2011

Progression....

Just started riding lifts for the first time this summer. (2011 Kona Operator). I ride mostly at Vail, Keystone and Winter Park, in that order. If your considering buying a DH bike, I suggest going for it. It's insanely fun and if you push hard it's really good training. Perhaps the coolest, unexpected byproduct of the DH bike was that it made the HD more fun to ride. What i've found is that the big bike is the balls. It teaches you to hit the big tables, gaps and drops. But it's just preparing you to slay it even harder on the HD. I've found that learning trails is great for the down hill bike, but once I get them dialed, the HD is more fun ride. (An most of the time, faster.) Sure, everything feels a little bigger and you've got to be a bit more precise, but it's incredible what that bike can handle and it's way more playful than the kona.

Anyways, just more praise for the HD. The more capable Operator only succeeded in teaching me that the HD is more capable than I realized. Now I reserve the Kona only for the gnarliest of trails and the HD is my #1 lift service bike. That's a pretty sweet thing to say about you're all mountain rig.

mtbr member
    I would agree, but after most of the summer riding my Iron Horse Sunday on the lifts (Crested Butte) I decided to try out the HD. I found that I was still hitting all the jumps and didn't feel so out of breath and tired after a day of downhill. I didn't go through the rock gardens as fast, but had no problems with the drops and jumps. To me this made the HD show it's potential, and it transferred to the trail riding.

I ended up hanging up the Sunday for the season and ripping laps on the HD, just so much fun and capable. I could see why so many love this bike, it's been an inspirational season for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    After a year of riding my HD as a DH/park/trail bike I bought a Norco Aurum for Dh duties. It's ridiculous how fast you can ride rough trails on a modern DH bike.

DH racing has definitely improved my trail skills, it gives you the confidence to let off the brakes through rough sections and opens up a new world in line choices, trails I've ridden for years look totally different.

Love it!