mtbr member

Pre Direct Mount FD for HD?

So, I've checked the Ibis tips and some of the forum conversations. My eyes are tired. Is there anyone out there who has had success with running an XTR 40/28 crank with an XTR front derailleur and an XTR shadow + rear? The Ibis site recommends a Sram, but I wanna keep it all XTR. Is it worth it or should I just stay with the Ibis specs to keep from going nuts if it doesn't shift properly.

Thanks,
    Happy trails!

www.derbyrims.com
    Good question. Since there has been no quick reply yet, try emailing ibis. They would answer quickly and would know the answer by now.

mtbr member
    Shot out an email. Waiting for knowledge...
    Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    im not running 40/28 but im running 38/26 xtr with fd-m986 fd. i had to grind the inner portion of the derrailuer so that it will not hit the lopes link. (this was also discussed in one post here) since clearances are tight, i also cut the back part of the FD that we dont need. This is the part that is used if you run the cables from the bottom. Since we are running cables from the top for the FD, i cut that portion out.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by le_stat View Post
    im not running 40/28 but im running 38/26 xtr with fd-m986 fd. i had to grind the inner portion of the derrailuer so that it will not hit the lopes link. ...
    I think he's talking about the lower link's swingarm pivot bolt clearance with some front der cage's inside guide rail. Grinding the cage slightly prevents scuffing the surface of that nice looking bolt head if the low stop and derailleur angle isn't adjusted ideally for suspension travel clearance, or the cage is wider than the OE cages were when the HD was engineered.

mtbr member
    I got a quick reply from Scot on the 4th. He just referred me to the chart. Hmm. I'm not sure if I wanna go through the trouble of grinding. I may have to settle for the SLX. Oh well, it's a FD, anyway.

Thanks, fellas.
    Happy trails!