mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Potential Ibis SL Owner! Help me out, need some input

Hello Everyone, been a while since I have been on the boards. Thanks for looking.

I am reaching out to the Ibis Mojo SL owners out there for some input. I am a 6 year mountain biker. I currently own one bike, a Demo 8. I love downhill riding but I need a trail bike. I've needed one, but I'm not rich. I've kept my eyes open for 2 years now for a killer deal and one finally showed up. A very nice 2008 Mojo SL, XT build, 150mm Talas, cane creek dropper seat post, and easton haven wheelset. THere are other goodies on it but the guy is asking only $2k. It's in GREAT condition. He just doesn't ride it.

Thing is, I am so used to a DH bike, and on the Mojo SL, the head angle is pretty steep. I have ridden some other XC and All mountain bikes in the past, always liked them and had fun with them, but I am concerned about giving more than the bike can handle, in turn, getting injured.

How do these rippers handle a high speeds? I saw those shock bushings to make the HA slacker, perhaps I can run one of those to feel better about it? I'd be using it mostly around Santa Cruz, and some Tahoe trails.

Anyways, thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    In have an SL set up for pretty aggressive riding with a lyrik set at 160. This puts the HA at 67.5 which is not bad for a trail bike and hovering around average for what is comig out today. But this does raise the BB height. If there were two things I would change about the bike it's the HA and a bit of flex in the rear.

The bike can handle a great deal I ride in New England and typically hunt out steep rocky rooty terrain and the bike has served me very well. But in an effort to be transperant I am looking to sell the frame to move onto something slacker and stiffer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the reply! It comes down to money for me. I feel as if I need to jump on this deal because saving for an HD build is not reasonable. 2k for what I am getting with this SL seems awesome. Maybe later, get a 160mm talas and change the rear shock eyelet with a Burgtec offset hardware. That might get me closer to a geo that can smash hellsa hard and sniznit without having to cash over money for an HD frame.

mtbr member
    Mario, $2k seems a little high to me for a 5 year old Mojo, when you can get a brand new "Special Blend" for $3k, that will have full warranty, all the latest links, Shimano dynasys 10sp, and a better fork that's also 650b compatible....but, a grand is a grand, and if this bike is in truly excellent condition, gets you stoked, and you can afford it...then you'll probably be really happy with it...they're awesome bikes.
    I agree with your thinking that you'll want to replace that stictiony (new word I just made up), flexy & unreliable Talas sooner or later.... and the offset bushings are a cheap and effective tuning tool. Consider a 650b front wheel also for slacking the angles and improving traction and stability. I'd do a 650b front on a solid 32mm or 34mm stanchion 140-150 travel fork over a 26" wheel on a 36mm fork on this bike, personally....it would produce similar angles and, I think, enhance the overall character of the bike more-so than a super burly 36 fork.... but that's purely my preference for my trails that place as much demand on the ups and the twisties as they do the downs. If you're doing more fireroad spin to the top, gnarly high speed DH to the bottom, then 36 might be the ticket. That was a super popular setup with a lot of people before so many burly/light options like the HD and a bunch of carbon Santa Cruz bikes became available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Pulled the trigger, one gripe!

I pulled the trigger! The bike is in pristine condition. It looks like it was never rode. Very stoked on the way this bike performs. It handled everything I threw at it! Perfect for the Santa Cruz trails!

I hit up that guy who makes the HAS head set to slack it just a bit but he had not replied. I would love to have one of those on this bike and it'd be perfect. I might go Burgtec offset hardware but don't know yet. Expect to see me on this forum for more posts and riding footy!

Potential Ibis SL Owner! Help me out, need some input-photo.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Potential Ibis SL Owner! Help me out, need some input-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks nice, Mario. Congrats!

I can't speak to the HAS headset... but re. offset bushings, be sure to release all air from the shock and put your weight on the bike to make sure you still have bottom out clearance between tire and seat tube. You might need to put a few nylon washers in the RP23 to limit travel.

Post your upgrades as you go along.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Congrats on your SL, looks like a great deal. I own a SL special blend and I am very happy and can assure you that it is a perfect do it all bike. I just raced an enduro this saturday and a XC marathon the next day with exactly the same build and did great in both.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My buddy had a DHX Air available as he had it for his old Mojo. Do you think putting that shock on is going to a better shock solution with the offset hardware?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by santiagomo87 View Post
    Congrats on your SL, looks like a great deal. I own a SL special blend and I am very happy and can assure you that it is a perfect do it all bike. I just raced an enduro this saturday and a XC marathon the next day with exactly the same build and did great in both.
    Hey thanks bud!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have put many miles in my SL over the past 3 years. Don't put that s@$T DHX on it, its crap, that's why the guy is getting ride of it. Ibis has put a lot of effort designing that suspension. Leave it and ride, better riders than us pound on these bikes everyday, out of the box. Buy a good set of wheels, possibly better brakes.

Dropshot Champ!
    congrats on the new bike, looks awesome!

+1 for not swapping to the dhx

mtbr member
    I would be cautious with the offset bushings. I run a conti trails king 2.2 in the back and even though there is no contact when the shock has no pressure in it I still get some tire rub on the seat tube. I assume this is from jumps and drops when the tire buldges under pressure. Note that I run. RS Monarch plus out back wich has been known to maybe have a stroke length that is a bit longer than what is listed.

Instead of the offset bushings I went the route of throwing lyrik set at 160mm up front. HA is ~67.5. Bike handles great in twisty single track and bombs through the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Update

I got a hold of Saar for one of his HAS angleset cup sets. I guess he had one left and it's on it's way. I'll be using that with the 150mm Talas to get the head angle that I wanted.

My buddy let me run his chain guide for a bit until I go 1x10. Got some nice new bars for the bike too. I can't wait to ride it again.

Potential Ibis SL Owner! Help me out, need some input-photo.jpg