mtbr member

Possible Fork Change for my HD

Looking for some recommendations on what to do here. I have a 2012 Float 36 currently and am less than pleased with the performance. Between the rough bushings, oil migration and the inability to get full travel I am considering a change. Easiest would be to shorten the air rod to make it more linear. I have ridden a Lyrik RC2DH once on my bike and thought it was awesome. I am also hearing great things about the X Fusion forks. Would like to hear from people that have ridden at least two of the three. Any feedback would be great before I shell out some cash.

aka...appBLING72
    XFusion Vengeance Coil HLR and 2012 Zocchi 55RC3 Ti Evo would be either of the two I would recommend. The Floats IMHO, still don't have as good midstroke support as the two I mentioned.

mtbr member
    +1 on the two that aappling suggested.. Ive been looking at forks also-- and those are the two that i keep coming back to.. Though im going to wait for the 2013 stuff to come out in hopes they lighten them up just a bit..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have the 2011 Marzocchis and they are great. Now thats coming from the BOS Deville - often regarded as the finest 160mm air fork.
    I am hearing great things about the Vengence but for now the Marzocchi is awesome. Plush and controlled. Not at all aware of any weight penalty whilst riding

Too Much Fun
    What about having the Float PUSH'ed? I may do that with mine...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I would like to stay with air and not go coil. Keep it coming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    does a coil fork work well with an air shock on the hd? ive been wondering if they provide enough resistance to get the rear moving...

mtbr member

Lyrik

If you rode the Lyrik and liked it then grab that fork. I run the Lyrik DH air and its by far my favorite on the HD. Ive also spent a lot of time on the TALAS 36, float 36 and the Marzocchi 55RC3TI. The Marzocchi is an amazing fork as well but overall, I preferred the Lyrik. You will go through seals pretty quick but aside from that its fantastic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Don't worry about getting full travel.......set the spring rate up for what "feels good". These forks are designed to work with a large range of people, bikes, riding styles. If I set mine up to get full travel then it's too soft and I lose control. I generally get to within a half inch.

Remember that the 160 Float is also giving you, stiffness, the geometry on your bike, and a good weight for a 36 fork.

Mind you I sold my 2011 after oil migrating, 2 creaking CSU's, and went to a TALAS 180/140.

I really want to try the 2013 with the RC2.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Currently IBIS is spec'ing the HD with the 34 FLOAT 160's.

mtbr member
    I think I going to order the Lyrik although the X Fusion forks really intrigue me. Changing the rear shock from the RP23 to the Monarch RC3 really exposed the fork. If I stick with the Fox I may try increasing the air volume (shortening the rod) and replacing the FIT cartridge with the RC2.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Don't worry about getting full travel.......set the spring rate up for what "feels good". These forks are designed to work with a large range of people, bikes, riding styles. If I set mine up to get full travel then it's too soft and I lose control. I generally get to within a half inch.
    thats a huuuuge crutch. A fork should get full travel without being too soft and losing control. Sounds like you need a new fork too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Currently IBIS is spec'ing the HD with the 34 FLOAT 160's.
    They are spec' a few different models and types.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got my Float 36 tuned to my weight/riding preferences by the local suspension shop, it made a big difference. I had the same problem with not using the full travel. Maybe try this before getting a new fork?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    thats a huuuuge crutch. A fork should get full travel without being too soft and losing control. Sounds like you need a new fork too
    That's your opinion, not a fact.

If you were correct, then there would be no need for suspension tuners like PUSH.

MPI
    mtbr member
    As someone might noticed that I have been having problems with BOS Deville. Bushings play and stiction due that French boys had forgot to put any oil to airside (lower and upper side). I deviced to move forward. Yesterday I installed the Marz 55 RC3 Evo (2012). The small bump sensitivity is amazing and its IMHO out of box far better than Deville. In fast technical descent I rate them about same. Marz might need two clicks more compression which I did not touch in test ride. Before Deville I had RS Lyrik DH SA. All the forks have been 170mm versions. I have also rode my friends modified 160mm VanR with different springs. VanR felt good but not good as Marz. In Marz I had 6 clicks spring preload, no air preload, comp out of box (I did not count clicks but I might add 2 click). I weight 95 kgs (~210 lbs) without gear and ride XL HD.

What I haven't mention before that I have problems both of my elbows. Actually I have problems with all my important body joints (elbows, hips and knees). They are worn. One elbow operated last fall. Loose parts removed etc. But back to facts. After yesterdays ride I notised that how much difference the good small bump sensitivity makes. My elbows were barely aiching att all. I now that it also might be a problem with my tuning abilities with previous forks.
    Last edited by MPI; 07-21-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI View Post
    As someone might noticed that I have been having problems with BOS Deville. Bushings play and stiction due that French boys had forgot to put any oil to airside (lower and upper side). I deviced to move forward. Yesterday I installed the Marz 55 RC3 Evo (2012). The small bump sensitivity is amazing and its IMHO out of box far better than Deville. In fast technical descent I rate them about same. Marz might need two clicks more compression which I did not touch in test ride. Before Deville I had RS Lyrik DH SA. All the forks have been 170mm versions. I have also rode my friends modified 160mm VanR with different springs. VanR felt good but not good as Marz. In Marz I had 6 clicks spring preload, no air preload, comp out of box (I did not count clicks but I might add 2 click). I weight 95 kgs (~210 lbs) without gear and ride XL HD.

What I haven't mention before that I have problems both of my elbows. Actually I have problems with all my important body joints (elbows, hips and knees). They are worn. One elbow operated last fall. Loose parts removed etc. But back to facts. After yesterdays ride I notised that how much difference the good small bump sensitivity makes. My elbows were barely aiching att all. I now that it also might be a problem with my tuning abilities with previous forks.

I've ridden the Bos, Lyrik DH Coil, X Fusion Vengeance Coil, and now both the 44 RC3 Ti and 55 RC3 Evo Ti. At this point I rate them in this order:
    1. Marzocchi 44/55 RC3
    2. X-Fusion Vengeance Coil
    3. Bos Deville - (no US Based CS=No bueno)
    4. Lyrik RC2 DH

All great forks that anyone would benefit from. But, if you are splitting hairs on what YOU prefer then my Vote goes to Zocchi. Also, the Roco Air TST R is feeling amazing on the HD! I was running the X Fusion Vector Air and have given both back to back testing on the same sections of trail and he nudge by a small margin goes to the Roco. Primarily for the ability to engage the TST for extended climbs. Otherwise the Roco seems to have a little better small
    Bump sensitivity but by a neglible margin. I'll post some pics an more in depth review o the shocks and testing I did in a new post soon

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i wish marzocchi made the 55 RC3 in black. Is that bad that color is even a factor??? Whats with all these white forks?!?!

mtbr member
    the marzocchi 55 hands down

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In a word, LYRIK. Stiff, plush, reliable. Someone mentioned going through seals. I haven't found RS seals to blow prematurely anymore than Fox's. Just my experience though, YMMV.

And SRAM's customer service is top notch.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Going to try and swap for a 36 Van for a few days later this week. Who knows, I might get spoiled by the coil.

mtbr member
    I think you would be very pleased with Marzocchi 55 RC3,after riding it for few months it just blows Fox away.if you like the Van I have an almost new one for sale...