RIP 12/95 - 02/09

Is it possible to cancel a complete bike order?

Anyone ever do this with their shop? I'm very curious. 75% deposit. Circumstances have changed, longer commute time (150 miles, daily) just leaves me with no desire to ride the bike. I'm paying for it in full, and owe a balance of $1500. I would rather hike with her and my dogs than ride. That's like $5k just sitting in the garage. I dunno.

Besides, I can use the money for a much more comfortable car. I use a truck, and it's like a bumpy ride from Ladera Ranch all the way to LA County.

I ordered a Small SL, xt. What's the wait time? March? Waste of my money.
    Last edited by Skywest; 12-24-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Green Mojo
    I cannot understand why you would be doing this.... unless maybe you are on death row and your final appeal was denied and your date is scheduled???????

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you are cancelling because of a serious family emergency or something, they might be good about it, but if you just want to take your business elsewhere and want a different brand of bike they don't stock and another shop does, you might have some problems.
    If you are, say, wanting a Mojo SL after you already ordered a Epiphany, maybe you could convince them to get you the SL on a special order, and there no-one loses, they keep a sale, you get what you want!

www.derbyrims.com
    I'm sure a quality shop owner, such as one who would represent Ibis, would honor your decision to buy the frame only or cancel your order completely.

In fairness even if you have no written contract, you should expect to pay some restock charge since business has been done and some efforts may have occurred to fill the order.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If the bike hasn't shipped from the Ibis to the bike shop, then you should get your full deposit back. The deposit tells Ibis and the shop is that this frame and kit is going to a customer and it's not going to sit on the shop floor as an expensive display.
    I would call the shop ASAP, and be honest, just as you'd like them to be honest with you. Hopefully, it's a good LBS.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

RIP 12/95 - 02/09
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    I cannot understand why you would be doing this.... unless maybe you are on death row and your final appeal was denied and your date is scheduled???????
    I edited my post. Funny reply.

RIP 12/95 - 02/09

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicoder
    If the bike hasn't shipped from the Ibis to the bike shop, then you should get your full deposit back. The deposit tells Ibis and the shop is that this frame and kit is going to a customer and it's not going to sit on the shop floor as an expensive display.
    I would call the shop ASAP, and be honest, just as you'd like them to be honest with you. Hopefully, it's a good LBS.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
    I just spoke to the shop and they will call Ibis today. Small complete bike delivery is now scheduled for mid to late January from an initial date of mid-december. Order placed, early november. They will give me an answer tomorrow. Wish me luck. I was really hoping to do a lot of riding during Christmas break.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

You really don't need a Mojo.

First let me say I've ordered a Moj SL medium. But I completely understand just being too tired to go thru all the neccesities to get out and ride. But, aeorobic fitness no matter how you do it is really helpful to your spirit, cardiovascular fitness and overall health for your and your family. That doesn't mean it has to be done on an expensive bike. It can be done anyway you want, even an eliptical trainer. ( Running the uphills on the trail when I'm hiking with the family is one of my favorites.)
    Second let me say I would expect any bike store that has back ordered a bike for you should give you your money back in good faith. Also, never pay more than the minimum deposit (Uses of funds thing.)
    Preachy alert: Oh yea, one more thing, one of those most important things for your spirit also is the hikes with the wife and the 4 legged kids, whom for their health the running is important also......If you need some new bike just get someones old pre-upgrade (Lots of those going around around. Spam: Matter of fact I have a never built up or used Black Ano looking Weyless XP 5" Heckler clone frame with 5th Element I will let go...)
    For you an expensive bikes is not worth the time you will put into it, it's not about the bike. But, try and keep with some cardio fitness, you will just feel better for life. Wow, am I preachy this am, wonder why. (Waiting on kids to wake up.)
    Last edited by glovemtb; 12-25-2007 at 04:15 AM.