Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poll on Brakes

mtbr member

Poll on Brakes

So I am building my first IBIS, a dream SLR, and I am having a hard time deciding on brakes. Forget money, would you opt for the stock Formula brakes which seem awesome, or Magura RT8's which you are getting a bit of a deal on? I asked for Magura Marta SL's which they don't have easy access to, so it seems, so they made a decent deal on the RT8s. I just want to know opinions. I know IBIS doesn't choose a bad component on their bike, so stock is meant to be good, but I don't know a lot about these two, so opinions welcome.

mtbr member
    Formulas are RXOs...

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Depending on the humidity of where you live.
    1. XTR's
    2. XT's
    3. Magura MT8
    4. MT6
    5. Any Hope

If dry, you can try Formulas, I'd avoid any Avid/Sram offering for reliability/maintenance reasons.

Good Luck!
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Too Much Fun
    I'm running MT6's on my HD and I'm really loving them. Didn't think the MT8's were worth the cost and I hate red accents all over the bike.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have Formulas ( The Ones ) and they're great. I would consider a set of the XTR Trails but there really hasn't been a time that i have had an issue with the Formulas

Commit or eat sh!t
    I had Formula R1's and got rid of them. Too finicky to set them up correctly like pad rubbing. I like Formula Ones a lot but only for DH/FR bikes. I ended up getting the new Shimano XTR's and like them so far. Lot of pad clearance. Easy to setup.

mtbr member
    2012 XT's

Grams Light Bikes
    I am liking the Magura MT6's, which are cheaper then the MT8's and have a less flexy alloy lever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have Formula R1 on my Lapierre Zesty and have no issues with them and 3 years later they are still great, I put Sram XX on the Ibis SL and after 3 or 4 attempts to get them setup right have been fantastic since.(bleeding them is a nightmare and an art but once mastered all is OK) I have the new XTR Trail brakes on my Pivot 5.7 carbon so I have a bit of experience of all three. Braking power = XTR you have to warn people before they take the bike out it is that powerful (great fun can be had if you dont though) the pads very expensive though, and no bite adjuster. Formula R1 causes no fuss has great power and very reliable (for me anyway) pads used to be hard to get but are quite easy now but again very expesive. The XX brakes were by far the worst to setup but once done the power and feel are good and the bite adjuster I like to maintain the same brake feel as the pads wear, had to get the front brake changed under warranty (after 15 months) because the loops the screw goes through to hold the pads in broke although there were no problems getting this changed (it took two days I was very impressed). If I was only buying the brakes then Formula or XX would be my choice but I have the whole new XTR on the Pivot and with the new derailleur the package beats the SRAM choice but now they also have a product to match it would be very close. Watch the XTR levers as they are quite short and take a bit of getting used to so try them first, the tool free reach adjuster is very good on the XTR but take a deep breath when you replace those Pads or wave good bye to the cooling fins and save money (but could you as it looks so good)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    XTR hands down.

Advantages of R1's: light, powerful

Advantages of XTR Trail: virtually as light (get race pads when replacing pads), feels twice as powerful as my previous XT 775's, far superior pad clearance for less noise when not using brakes, quietest brake i've ridden when in use, , incredible modulation for sensitive feel in technical sections, on the fly adjustibility (no tools needed), hopefully as incredibly reliable as my XT's have been for five years!

mtbr member
    I've got Formula R1's, and if were to do it again, I'd get Shimano. The R1 works fine, but I've found it to be rather finicky. Very little clearance between pad and rotor, so if something is the tiniest bit off, or dirty or whatever, you have problems. I've just gotten used to living with the occasional rub/squeak that comes and goes.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Formula The Ones MY10s here, awesome brakes, trouble-free for the last two years. more than one finger braking then OTB is an option

mtbr member
    I run a set of Formula The One's MY2010 and I love em. They have been pretty much set and forget on the bike. The only maintenance I've had to do with them is replace pads which is pretty simple. 1 Finger braking, tons of power, good modulation and they look nice, not really much to dislike.

If I were to replace them today I think I would look at a set of XTR Trails (they sound like they are pretty awesome) or a set of Magura MT8/6, I'd probably do the 6 just to keep the red bits off the bike.

I've ridden a set of the 8's and I was impressed with them, good power, good modulation, looked good with the right color scheme for sure (Vitamin P is not the right scheme!).

mtbr member
    Formulas are terrible brakes. So many people including friends have had so many problem with them. Not worth the trouble. Google Formula brake issues and be prepared to read a lot of stories. Get XTR/Hope. Both far superior to Formulas in every way, especially reliability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The XT Trail brakes are the best I've ever had. Powerful, easy to maintain and adjust, and quiet when wet. I had several Hopes and they are also great performers but squeak badly when wet. I've had 4 different models of Hopes over the years and they ALL squeaked. Not sure why.

And the price on the XTs are great. Get a new set front/rear with rotors for under $300 if you shop around. There's no performance difference between the XT and XTR, only cosmetics which may matter to some.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I couldn't agree more regarding the XT brakes. I went from BB7 to Magura MT4 and then ended with the XT (785). The amount of adjustability at the lever is incredible, loads of power, silent operation, and great build quality. For the price, they can't be beat IMO.

Dropshot Champ!
    new xt/xtr without a doubt. Give them a spin if you know someone that has them, I haven't met someone that didn't go...wow!

I really like my elixir cr's and my x0 brakes on both bikes, but they need to be bled more often than anything else and setup isn't as easy as the shimano stuff.

go xt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2012 Shimano XT BL-M785 Hydraulic Disc Brake Set - Competitive Cyclist

W/O shopping around, CC has pre-bled them for $128 (no rotors). Ice Tech rotors are about $30-$50 depending on size. Cant beat these brakes for the price too. Even at a higher price, they're still awesome performers.

mtbr member
    I have a set of new XT's on my wife's Ibis tranny. When I ride that bike, it stops great. Good feel, good power, light weight, just a wonderful brake. I highly recommend it.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    2012 Shimano XT BL-M785 Hydraulic Disc Brake Set - Competitive Cyclist

W/O shopping around, CC has pre-bled them for $128 (no rotors). Ice Tech rotors are about $30-$50 depending on size. Cant beat these brakes for the price too. Even at a higher price, they're still awesome performers.
    you can save a bunch by using the lighter ashima rotors, they're about 8bucks and stop great with the new xt's!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    you can save a bunch by using the lighter ashima rotors, they're about 8bucks and stop great with the new xt's!
    $8 !!!!! Wow. unheard of. How's the wear? Warpage?

Dropshot Champ!
    Amazon.com: Origin8 Torq-Lite Bicycle Disc Rotors - 160mm: Sports & Outdoors

Don't let the Origin8 name scare you away like it does most people. These rotors haven't warped for anyone I know of, and they're on every race bike in my area. They come in at 90grams too. They wear really well, they almost seem thicker than others, which makes them a pain for avid brakes, but perfection with new xt/xtr.

Screaming deal, light as hell, and they actually perform.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Interesting thread, so much positive for the Shimano stuff.

I've been contemplating an eventual upgrade from Formula RX with 203/180 rotors to XT with 180/160 for my HD. Like the RXs fine by seem to require more maintainence than the shimano brakes I had before and don't like the feel as much as the 2008 XTs on my old SL. Also, I rarely feel the need for the bigger rotor, not doing much park riding. Thoughts welcome. Subscribed.

Lightly salted
    I had one the the early xtr brakes that had the leaking hose crimp issue. Shimano exchanged them for me no questions asked. Great customer service! The new set with improved hose crimp has been trouble free and are incrediably strong! Strongest brakes I've used and the easiest to setup out of all I had used. I just ordered another set of the shimano brakes for another bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really like my shimano SLX brakes. I hear they're the same as xt without the nice finishes. It's nice to have one finger braking without the slightest strain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast