mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Pls critique my build - pulled(ing) the trigger

Took the plunge via a deposit today.

Would appreciate feedback on a few (bolded) items. About me:

6'2" - all mountain rider with a more aggressive/downhill background but older/slowed down in terms of jumping.

-XL Mojo HD 160 (Vitamin P/Black links)

-2012 Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO TI Taper@ 170mm (recommendation of the Bike Co. was that most of their customers had them reduce 160 but from feedback here I think 170 initially might be ideal?)

-2012 Marzocchi Roco TST R Air shock ('worked' by the bike co - they said this is on a lot of their personal bikes and for them is unbeatable - note I'm not a big suspension tweaker - as much as I think a CCDB would be fun realistically I don't have the time to fiddle with one - don't see much feedback on this shock though? Stock RP23 isn't an option).

-King Headset (blue)

-King Hubs (blue) / ZTR Flows (black) / Blue nipples

-XT 2x10 (26x38) 175mm cranks/bottom bracket. (thoughts on length?)

-XT Shifters

-XT Brakes / Ice Tech Rotors (180mm/180mm)

-XT Direct Mt Front derailleur

-XTR Shadow Plus Med. cage rear derailleur

-XT Chain

-XT 11-36 cassette

-Reverb Post (they sell a lot of KS i950 posts - however from here it looks like the reverb is really popular? I'm on a old R.A.S.E. 9" adj. now and the slop is killing me).

-Race Face Sixc handlebars (on 711 Easton Havoc bars now (alum, '09) - think 725mm is a good compromise - don't think I want full 750 - however don't know much about Sixc).

-Easton Haven stem

----------

Any thoughts or big stand out mistakes that you think I'm making would be greatly appreciated. Really valued all of your feedback with respect to L vs. XL - finally sat on a L and you're all right - those really are small for someone my height so feel good there.

Thanks all

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Lots of similar stuff on my bike, I can address a few things that I thought about:

There are no 'mistakes' on your build IMO - that's a solid bike.

I thought a lot about the 2x10 vs double w/bash question, and went with the latter for a couple reasons. First, I'm very happy with the 24/36 gearing, not available I don't think on native XT 2x10. Second, having a bash on there was important to me, and that's been borne out. Roaching teeth on big rings gets old fast, esp when it's your go-to ring. With the shadow plus it's quiet and shifts well, and only have dropped the chain when the clutch needs adjusting. That being said, the 2x10 stuff is purported to shift better, so it's all a tradeoff until they make 2x10 with the capability to add a bash ring.

shadow plus is well well worth the investment. I don't know enough to know whether med or long is the right cage for your rings/cogs.

why not 180/160 on rotors?

I have been happy with my sixc bars, they've held up really well over two bikes now. But being taller than I you might consider going wider, esp given your background. You can always cut down...

Reverb post is solid. They all suck at some level, but this one might suck the least, and you absolutely need a dropper.

Nice, you'll love this bike.

I've been happy with similar wheels (hadley/dt supercomp/flows). There are some other threads debating wheel options on this forum you might check out, but noone can really talk too much smack about this setup, IMO, unless you have the budget for King/Enve.

Tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you are going with blue bits, why not have the blue links as well?
    I would personally go with 170mm crank arms. I am the same height as you and switch over to 170mm last season and did not notice a difference in pedaling efficiency, but I did notice less pedal strikes.
    I am not riding an Ibis yet, so others can please feel free to offer their advice concerning the crank arm length. My reasoning for the shorter length is because of the lower bb height.

Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'1" and went with the XL as well and have no regrets.

I bought my HD from the bikeco and all their recommendations were solid.
    Many of us are now going with the Cane Creek DB- Air, I'm loving it so far.
    You might want to ask about it.

I also have the KS950i and have been happy with it but they have a new one coming out
    called the LEV and the cable is mounted from below.

The marzocchi 170mm is a good choice, I may be going with a 180mm next.
    You might want to ask/try the X-Fusion 170mm vengeance coil as it is very plush as well.
    X-Fusion Vengeance HLR Suspension Fork Review - BikeRadar

You also could go with the Cane Creek angle set since it works with tapered forks now.

I went with a 40mm stem which is perfect compared to the stock 70mm.
    You might want to go tubeless with stan's.
    Last edited by mbikerguy; 04-21-2012 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank you for the feedback, few replies:

I wanted a 2012 X Fusion Vengeance HLR DLA but given they're so late I'm over waiting - was told another 3 weeks min (presume that's Coil as well but don't know).

Tires - planning in Maxxis DHF front and High Roller rear setup tubeless. I love this tread on my current bike.

Bars - maybe its worth thinking 750 havoc and deciding they're too wide. Candidly I'm more mentally comfortable on Easton anyway as I've ran havoc alum stuff for years.

Stem- planning on 50mm

While I know the great reviews of the new Zoke forks anyone know anything about the shock? I can't find much online - maybe its just very new? (the 2012).

Thanks again all.

Commit or eat sh!t
    If you are gonna use XT 2x10, you can't use a bash and you have to use taco-style bashguard, assuming you are going to have one. If not, your larger ring will get chewed up riding anything techy.

Also, while Shadow Plus RD will keep the chain on for most XC/AM riding, if you do decide to use your HD for more FR type of riding, I don't know if it will keep the chain on consistently. Like when you hit 2-3 decent sized drops in a row, or using it at Mammoth for example. I would still like to have a chain guide for that kind of riding.

PS Since the BikeCo has few demos, shocks, forks available, I would suggest that you compare Marz suspension vs Fox, Rockshox and Cane Creek if you can. Nothing beats a real test on trails to see which one you like better vs. what others say.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cableguy- thanks for the input, cranks are where I'm having trouble trying to sort out good options.

What's your suggestion? 3x10 with a bash in place of big ring? What about guides?

I had debated running a 28t widget and 1x10 as I could hack it up with a 11-36 out back. You weren't by chance in the Bike Co yesterday afternoon were you? If so I said hi to you but didn't introduce myself.

Cheers

Commit or eat sh!t
    That wasn't me. I am currently out with a broken tibia. I like BikeCo but not their prices.

I would suggest that you go 3x10 with a bashguard instead of the big ring. I wouldn't do 1x10 unless you are a great pedaler. You will need the granny ring for something like Mathis or Dreaded Hill or when riding with XC friends.

If you are an aggressive rider who like to do a some DH/FR, you will need a guide. For example, if you are going to use this bike (instead of a full DH/FR bike) at Big Bear, Mammoth, Northstar, and various illegal DH/FR trails in SoCal, and hit most of the big features, chainguide is pretty much mandatory.

However, if you are going to use the bike for more AM type of riding, like most of the legal trails at Aliso, Santiago, etc., you can get by with the Shadow Plus derailleur. It really works well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Strange, a bunch of us bought our HDs at the bikeco and have had no issues with their pricing.
    Last edited by mbikerguy; 04-21-2012 at 04:17 PM.