mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Play in lower link on a std Mojo

I have a Mojo bought early 2008, I have replaced both links once, but last time just did the bearings. However I am getting some play in the lower link, the bolts are as tight as they will go, and the only other thing I can notice is one of the smaller bearings has some slight play in the link. Any thoughts, or should I just try and source a link.

More Torque
    If the bearing has play in the link, I'd just source a new link, rather than trying to take up the gap with some sort of retaining compound. The lower link bearings tend to go pretty fast anyhow, so you are likely in need of new ones. Quality bearings can cost half as much as the link so better to just start fresh and get the whole shebang, to rule out any other issues. Lower on the frustration scale as well, as they can be a pain to press in and out.

-D

mtbr member
    I agree with Diesel... if it's been more than 2 years since you replaced the links you might want to get new ones... at least a new lower... they went through a pretty substantial upgrade at their....don't quote me on this.... 13th revision? I'm pretty sure it was just about 2 years ago, maybe a little longer.

Is it a knocking feel, like when your headset is loose? or a softer mushy feel more like a tire with 12psi in it? If your links and bearings are good, but you're getting a vague flexy feeling, take a close look at the main pivot shaft sleeve where it's bonded into the front triangle, or call Ibis about it. I had a problem there on my first Mojo C, and they got me dialed in their awesome-as-usual way.

aka dan51
    A new link may not resolve your issue. I had the same thing happen to mine.
    The problem was on the metal sleeve on the rear triangle, though this can happen anywhere I guess.
    The sleeve was wearing down where the bearing contacted it. No matter how tight I got it, there was always play. This is because the long "nut" that goes through the link is the perfect length, and was bottoming out against the bolt before it could provide clamping force.
    To resolve this in the short term, I ground the end of the nut down about 2mm.
    In the long term, I worked with Ibis to get some thin shims to put between the bearings and the sleeve. It is a PITA to work on the lower link and rear triangle now. Getting 5 shims (2 on one side, 3 on the other), the sleeve and link all lined up to get the bolt through is not fun. I have only had luck doing it with the rear triangle and lower link completely detached from the front triangle. Since I rarely take it apart it's not a big deal though.

Mojo rear triangle - a set on Flickr
    Here is what it looked like worn down.

Here it is after I sanded it smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    dbug I think I'm with you, I still have some play in my bolt. I know the loose bearing won't help but it's not the main cause. So what is the best bet for a fix do you think?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentinfarquar View Post
    dbug I think I'm with you, I still have some play in my bolt. I know the loose bearing won't help but it's not the main cause. So what is the best bet for a fix do you think?
    I would check to see if you have the wear I did.
    For a quick fix grind the nut length down a bit and tighten. The downside is the bearings won't be perfectly parallel and will probably wear faster, and there will be added stress on the link, possibly causing it to fail at some point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    guess what? I have exactly this problem with my rear triangle with the same response from Ibis. I also shimmed it up but unfortunately It hasn't resolved the issue entirely as I have to regularly strip and re-torque the pivot bolt

Play in lower link on a std Mojo-photo-2.jpgPlay in lower link on a std Mojo-photo-1.jpg

Dropshot Champ!
    I had this happen to my mojo as well, email ibis if the washers aren't working and maybe you can work something out

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well I have bought a new link cleaned and reassembled and still loads of play in the frame. I have emailed Ibis but had no response, so not really sure what my next step is. Is it a case of playing around with different size washers until something works.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentinfarquar View Post
    Well I have bought a new link cleaned and reassembled and still loads of play in the frame. I have emailed Ibis but had no response, so not really sure what my next step is. Is it a case of playing around with different size washers until something works.
    Do you have the wear on the triangle like the above pictures? If so a new link won't fix it. You need to sand the wear area smooth, and put shims in there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    it's not worn to silver but obviously must be wear.. where did you source the shims?

aka dan51
    I got them from Ibis, who got them from McMaster-Carr

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm in the UK so think I will be out on my own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Finally asembled the bike. I noticed a lilttle bit of side to side play in the upper link (drive side bearing,seatstay)when i flex my rear wheel with fforce. My mechanic removed the upper link and noticed that the said bearing can be pushed out by hand! Perhaps the link itself got toast due to the stripping that my friend did.(from a red link to raw) anyway, my mechanic found a remedy of putting a strip of soda can inside the link then pressed in the bearing and the play is gone. Is that a fine fix? Anyway, i have a pending order of links from them which will ship in september according to them. But can i ride it hard still until the links arrive? The bike fits perfectly!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its a 2013 mojo hd by the way

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The best solution is green loctite, bearing retaining compound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Checked mine and it has the wear too but there is no play. YET. Both front sleeves has full silver rings already while the rear sleeves are about to get full circle. Is there anyway to avoid it to wear further? I hope mine wont produce that play.