Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MSH
    mtbr member

Planned Ripley Builds...What's yours?

Like so many others I'm getting pretty fired up with the Ripley getting close. I have most parts on order or pulling from my old Racer-x 29. Intent is for the bike to be a "do-it-all" XC/Trail rig. I'm going for a fairly lightweight build that should be perfect for the handful of endurance races I do a year here in CO. I've had a good time figuring out how I'm going to build it up. Curious how others plan to build up their Ripley.

My Build...
    SID RCT3 120mm 15TA Fork
    XX1 Build (156 q-factor)
    Cane Creek 110 HS
    DT240s/DT Revs/Light-bicycle.com carbon hoops
    Formula R1s
    Crank Bros EB 11s
    Easton EC90 Seatpost
    WTB RocketV SLT saddle

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Fox 34 spaced down to 130 or 32 at 120
    Xt/SLX 2x10 drivetrain
    Hope stealth race evo x2's
    syntace MX 30 hoops
    cane creek 40 HS
    shortish stem depending on geo
    Thomson flat bar at 730 or maybe a vector
    KS lev
    dampf front ralph rear
    shimano pedals
    Gobi saddle
    Can't wait

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    Can't wait
    Pretty funny. I couldn't wait either. I think the Spider Comp has spanked this thing into revision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude View Post
    Pretty funny. I couldn't wait either. I think the Spider Comp has spanked this thing into revision.
    Nice joke!

mtbr member
    My planned build for technical trails and a few marathons. Want to keep it light and relatively sturdy for my 170 lbs.

XL frame with RP23 Kashima
    Fox Float 34 @ 130 or 140mm (or possibly X-Fusion Trace RL2/RS Revelation RCT3)
    2x10 X0 derailleurs with Grip Shift and ESI Chunky grips
    Middleburn RS8 X-type cranks (for the option of 22/30)
    Syntace MX35 wheels with Ardent 2,4" for trail/Crossmark 2,1" for lighter duties
    Syntace Vector High5 740mm 5mm rise/12deg sweep bar + Megaforce 2 stem
    RS Reverb with Spec Henge SL saddle
    Shimano XTR Trail brakes on light discs
    Pedals - yes

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Replacing a very light Specialized S-Works Epic, looking to keep all of the advantages of that bike and get back the travel and suspension feel of my old Turner 5-Spot...

Frame: Ibis Ripley (large?) w/ Fox Float iCD shock

Fork: Fox 32 Float 29 - 120 FIT iCD

Drivetrain: SRAM XX1 (28) w/ Trigger? GripShift?

Brakes: Shimano XTR BR-988 Trail (ISO 180/160)

Bar: Enve Riser

Stem: Enve, size TBD

Seatpost: Enve, offset TBD

Seat Clamp: DKG Flip Lock (black)

Saddle: WTB Volt Team

Pedals: Look S-Track Carbon Ti

Wheels: Enve twenty9 XC w/ Kappius hubs (32 hole, full ceramic option, 15/100 TA front, 12/142 TA rear, SRAM XX1), DT Swiss aerolite spokes (black)

Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 TL-Ready, Snakeskin

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    I'm getting pretty fired up with the Ripley getting close.
    What makes you think it's getting close? 2012 was missed, 2013 could be too.
    beaver hunt

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    What makes you think it's getting close? 2012 was missed, 2013 could be too.
    Staying positive and optimistic!
    But mainly Hans comments in the main Ripley thread that they are on target for 1st qtr release. I'm not that concerned about it. If it doesn't happen by April or May all the parts I'm acquiring will work just fine on a Pivot 429C

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The SID is going to be a noodle. You really should rethink that fork choice.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a 44 yr old XC weenie that keeps both wheels on the ground any more. My super hard charging days are behind me, so I'll take my chances with the SID. I'm keeping my build on the endurance race/xc side of the fence so that's the reason/rationale for the SID.

mtbr member
    This thread is the Ibis geeks equivalent of the " If you had a team of cheer leaders in bed what would you....." discussion. Either one will lead to wet dreams. Maybe "Ripley" could really be the "Slippery"

Living the Dream
    Has anyone seen any updated geo numbers? I am hoping to find a trail bike to replace my Sultan. I would like a 68 degree HA with a 140mm fork and short chainstays. May end up getting a carbon SB95 if the geo is too XC on the ripley.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Has anyone seen any updated geo numbers? I am hoping to find a trail bike to replace my Sultan. I would like a 68 degree HA with a 140mm fork and short chainstays. May end up getting a carbon SB95 if the geo is too XC on the ripley.
    Someone else may have more updated info, but I think the chainstay length is pretty much set 17.5" As far as HTA the only info I have is the older info which was HTA of 71 with 120mm fork and 69.5 with a 140. I would think they may go a bit more slack on the final production versions but who knows. I know they have been fairly tight lipped about any more details (even with dealers as I have tried that route to ) until they are ready to release and ship. From the website...

"Our next announcement about the Ripley 29 will be when it is ready to ship. We'll release all the final details then: pricing, sizing, colors, geometry, components, etc"

Grams Light Bikes
    Staying positive and optimistic!
    But mainly Hans comments in the main Ripley thread that they are on target for 1st qtr release. I'm not that concerned about it. If it doesn't happen by April or May all the parts I'm acquiring will work just fine on a Pivot 429C
    Hans hasn't been more specific than this as far as I know?

"We are on track for launch and shipment for the 2013 season."

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Hans hasn't been more specific than this as far as I know?

"We are on track for launch and shipment for the 2013 season."
    I believe that was his comment in response to simenf post (#82 &#83 posts in the thread). A little further down on post #91 I posed the following question....

1st qtr-ish 2013 or later? Wes @ Competitive Cyclist is telling me the release has been pushed back to Summer when I just called now

Hans response next post....
    I think they are probably trying to "under promise and over deliver".
    Any Updates on the Ripley?

So you are right not specific, but I'm taking that response as we can expect it before Summer at least. I hope anyway!

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    in 2011 or 2012, the sid and reba started using the same chassis. While it won't be as stiff as the forks people run on an hd, it's almost identical to the reba now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Weight weenie

I really don't think this is a weght weenie bike, have you seriously looked at the weight of the 120mm minimum fork you will have on this bike. Your gonna add a half pound there and really this bike is designed for wheels that will weigh 200 grams more than weight weenie wheels. And the frame is gonna weigh more than a weightweenie frame. If you are a weight weenie go with a 100 mm race bike and save yourself two pounds. That being said my advice is to get the ripley and give up your weight weenie ways. Thro some havens or equivalent on it and I bet you will average faster speeds anyway and have a lot more fun. This bike will weigh 4 pounds more than a weight weenie hard tail and two pounds more that a weight weenie full,susension. Last few years I have been a real weight weenie, I have seen the light. Performamce and rigidity first, weight secomd , price third and you will have an awesome fast bike. Cut sugar and gluten out of your diet and you will lose 5 pounds in a month. Problem solved
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a 44 yr old XC weenie that keeps both wheels on the ground any more. My super hard charging days are behind me, so I'll take my chances with the SID. I'm keeping my build on the endurance race/xc side of the fence so that's the reason/rationale for the SID.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durtsurf View Post
    I really don't think this is a weght weenie bike, have you seriously looked at the weight of the 120mm minimum fork you will have on this bike. Your gonna add a half pound there and really this bike is designed for wheels that will weigh 200 grams more than weight weenie wheels. And the frame is gonna weigh more than a weightweenie frame. If you are a weight weenie go with a 100 mm race bike and save yourself two pounds. That being said my advice is to get the ripley and give up your weight weenie ways. Thro some havens or equivalent on it and I bet you will average faster speeds anyway and have a lot more fun. This bike will weigh 4 pounds more than a weight weenie hard tail and two pounds more that a weight weenie full,susension. Last few years I have been a real weight weenie, I have seen the light. Performamce and rigidity first, weight secomd , price third and you will have an awesome fast bike. Cut sugar and gluten out of your diet and you will lose 5 pounds in a month. Problem solved
    Thanks for the advice! I already have all parts in hand so the build is already set.
    I think you are going to see a fair amount of light weight racing builds with this bike, as well as, more trail/AM builds.
    Ibis is after all marketing this bike as a "do it all" bike.
    Scot Nicol's comments when the Ripley was originally announced in 2011 at Eurobike. From twentynineinches.com article...
    "Scott believes the 120 mm DW-link rear (that was designed and engineered with the help of Dave Weagle) to be efficient enough for XC riding and racing while satisfying endurance racers and “… well basically everyone”."

Evan Plews has been racing it in endurance events. Winning the PH100 last year on the Ripley and this year's El Paso Puzzler--> Evan Plews Wins the El Paso Puzzler | News | Info | Ibis Cycles US

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Weight weenie

Evan Plews is not a weight weenie but he is an xc racer, the two are not mutual. His wheel set weighs 10 grams more than easton havens.
    Really weight weenie beliefs are being proven wrong, I think real xc pros are leaving ti pedals, narrow bars, light wheels, light cassettes, light forks, etc for the people who don't get it. I am a converted weight weenie and I am going faster. You still pay attention to weight but performance first. That is what is gonna win xc races.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durtsurf View Post
    Evan Plews is not a weight weenie but he is an xc racer, the two are not mutual. His wheel set weighs 10 grams more than easton havens.
    Really weight weenie beliefs are being proven wrong, I think real xc pros are leaving ti pedals, narrow bars, light wheels, light cassettes, light forks, etc for the people who don't get it. I am a converted weight weenie and I am going faster. You still pay attention to weight but performance first. That is what is gonna win xc races.
    Good to hear the weight weenie conversion worked out for you.

Weight weenie or not Evan estimates his build at 23 lbs and states at the end of this video, after his PH100 victory, "the frame is going to get a lot lighter". If the frame getting a lot lighter statement is true that's a sub 23lbs bike....pretty darn light! Certainly lighter than mine will end up. Ibis Ripley Pro Bike (Evan Plews) | 2012 Pierre's Hole 100 NUE #8 | CyclingDirt

If you are shooting for more of a XC/Endurance race build I think the key is a "sensible" light weight build..not crazy light. Crazy light (to me anyway) is build kits with Tune, Extralite, KCNC parts, Selle SLR saddles for example. I'm going light where I can but certainly not crazy light. My wheels are heavier than both the Black Flag Pro SL or Havens at 1600g+, I'll be running Schwalbe/Maxxis sidewall protection tires, WTB Rocket V saddle, etc

Anyways, different strokes. I think you build it as you see fit and what works for you. I'm sure everyone that gets one is going to be loving it no matter how they build it up.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I'm going with a Sram XX9 drivetrain.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What are you folks assuming for the headset? 49EC lower and ZS44 upper like the SL-R? The Ripley description says Angleset and InSet compatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean 49EC/ZS44.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    What are you folks assuming for the headset? 49EC lower and ZS44 upper like the SL-R? The Ripley description says Angleset and InSet compatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean 49EC/ZS44.
    I went with a Cane Creek 110 ZS44 upper, EC49/40 Lower based on my conversation with Ibis.

mtbr member

Can't really see the need to stock up on parts before the build kits are known at the launch. Head sets are not gonna be sold out any time soon.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member

Ibis recommends a 51mm fork offset. Which forks with that offset are available?

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast