Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We'll make a list of forks soon, but Fox has them, as does Rock Shox and X-Fusion. The longer offset is becoming common.

H

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What actually is offset? And can we run a non 'offset'?

It's the axle
    Can anyone address whether or not a Lefty can meet the 51mm offset? I've searched, and come up empty.

I'm betting it can be done through the bracket, but I have only had one espresso this morning so far.

Having said that, xx1, Lefty.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    What actually is offset? And can we run a non 'offset'?
    Same as Fork Rake. You can run shorter rake forks, but they handling will be best with the 51 mm rake. There are forks from Fox, X-Fusion and RockShox and they are becoming mainstream.

H

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just daydreaming at this point, but I'll play anyway.
    I am 6'1", after some serious number crunching, I realized the XL Ripley is right for me, it gives a very close size match to the Niner Jet 9 RDO in L with a 120 fork, and I like that fit.

Ripley XL
    Manitou Tower Pro 120
    I-9 wheels, Crest Rims
    Syntace F-109 stem, prolly a 100mm
    Niner RDO flat bars
    Easton EC-90 zero post
    Rotor Agilis crank with 25-38 Q-rings, Rotor BB Cups, have the crank
    XTR derailleurs and shifters, Shadow Plus
    SRAM XG-1080 cassette
    SRAM 1091 chain
    Hope Mono Mini brakes, they always work

Clearly this is an XC build, not for free dogging! I ride lots of XC singletrack and high altitude, lots of climbing, so weight is important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Large Ripley - black/green
    Fox 34 140 (I might space it down to a 130...)
    SRAM XX1 32 front
    XTR Trail brakes 180/160 ice rotors
    ENVE AM dt swiss 240 wheels
    ENVE stem 90
    ENVE sweep bar
    Lev dropper post (internal cable, no F.Der)
    Schwalbe Hans tires (I would run a "chuck" if they made one)
    Fizik aliante saddle

Should be a pretty light fun bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Large Blue Ripley
    Fox 32 120mm
    Full X7 Drivetrain
    Alex XD Pro/Dt Swiss 240
    Elixir 3 Brakes
    Easton Havoc Stem/Bar

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just ordered a large in matte/green with matching Fox G2 120. I'll transfer as many part as possible from my Tallboy carbon. At 5'9" is was a tough choice between the medium and large. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Ibis Ripley matte/green
    Fox G2 120mm
    80mm stem
    Enve XC with 240's
    XTR 2x10 group set
    Nobby Nic's front and RR's in the rear

I might switch the XX1's from my Highball to the Ripley, not sure yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hans - looking forward to your list.

Question: does the 51mm offset recommendation apply to both the 120mm and 140mm travel lengths?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Now that I know that the Cannondale Lefty SuperMax has an offset of 53mm, (see here: TRIGGER 29ER 1 - Trigger 29er - OverMountain - Mountain - Bikes - 2013 under the "Geo" tab) I think I am going for a Ripley when I can get a Left SuperMax 130mm. I suspect that the A-C of the Lefty is about the same as the 120mm Fox 32 or a bit more. It should be right in the ballpark, as well as lighter and stiffer than the Fox 32 or 34.

Either Mavic Crossmax ST wheels or perhaps Specialized Roval 29er Carbon to go with the rest of the bike using Ibis's XT build with the 24-34 double chainrings.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Now that I know that the Cannondale Lefty SuperMax has an offset of 53mm, (see here: TRIGGER 29ER 1 - Trigger 29er - OverMountain - Mountain - Bikes - 2013 under the "Geo" tab) I think I am going for a Ripley when I can get a Left SuperMax 130mm. I suspect that the A-C of the Lefty is about the same as the 120mm Fox 32 or a bit more. It should be right in the ballpark, as well as lighter and stiffer than the Fox 32 or 34.

Either Mavic Crossmax ST wheels or perhaps Specialized Roval 29er Carbon to go with the rest of the bike using Ibis's XT build with the 24-34 double chainrings.

I may be wrong, but I just want to caution that the fork on the Trigger supposedly only comes with the bike, and not independently. I was talking with someone in the Cannondale forum who is familiar. And I've heard it from at least one other source.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    I may be wrong, but I just want to caution that the fork on the Trigger supposedly only comes with the bike, and not independently. I was talking with someone in the Cannondale forum who is familiar. And I've heard it from at least one other source.
    For now, you are correct. I am hopeful that they will be releasing it for general sale to the aftermarket (Project 321, Dr. Cannondale) by the end of this summer once they have gotten enough stock to fulfill their own Trigger 29er channel. You can now get the 2013 Lefty Hybrid from both those suppliers for both 26" and 29" (and 650b too!) wheels.

If not, I'll have to eBay it from a private party I guess.

And if I really can't get one, I'll *settle* for the Fox 34 140mm if I have to.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Just like bassn I am going to transfer my XX group from the Tallboy. I'll post photos as soon as it gets done

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joshthedoc1 View Post
    Just like bassn I am going to transfer my XX group from the Tallboy. I'll post photos as soon as it gets done
    Nice! Have you decided which fork you're going with on the new Ripley? I just changed my order from a 120 to 140. I'm pretty sure if I got the 120 there would be many occasions I would regret not having the 140, but probably not th other way around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Planned Ripley Builds...What's yours?-both-bikes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Nice! Have you decided which fork you're going with on the new Ripley? I just changed my order from a 120 to 140. I'm pretty sure if I got the 120 there would be many occasions I would regret not having the 140, but probably not th other way around.
    Thats a good question. I am in angst about it. A couple of guys from my LBS were up in santa cruz and rode the bike for several days. One does huge jumps and does a lot of air time, he's getting the 140. The other is very aggressive, but usually keeps the rubber on the ground, he's doing the 120. I am a very aggressive rider as well, but I just don't do big hits anymore (big hits=increased potential for crashes=no work because of injury=no money for cool stuff=oh yeah, no money for wife and kid). Because of this I've been steered towards the 120. Does the Talas have the same 51mm offset? perhaps the best of both worlds with changing travel on the fly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

+1on gluten

I have lost a lot of weight cutting gluten. Hint, gluten free beer as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by durtsurf View Post
    I really don't think this is a weght weenie bike, have you seriously looked at the weight of the 120mm minimum fork you will have on this bike. Your gonna add a half pound there and really this bike is designed for wheels that will weigh 200 grams more than weight weenie wheels. And the frame is gonna weigh more than a weightweenie frame. If you are a weight weenie go with a 100 mm race bike and save yourself two pounds. That being said my advice is to get the ripley and give up your weight weenie ways. Thro some havens or equivalent on it and I bet you will average faster speeds anyway and have a lot more fun. This bike will weigh 4 pounds more than a weight weenie hard tail and two pounds more that a weight weenie full,susension. Last few years I have been a real weight weenie, I have seen the light. Performamce and rigidity first, weight secomd , price third and you will have an awesome fast bike. Cut sugar and gluten out of your diet and you will lose 5 pounds in a month. Problem solved

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hey guys, I'm trying to decide between xt and x0 (xo would have magura mt6) The price diff through my lbs is about $600. I'm also trying to decide between stans arch ex and wtb freguency i23 rims (no price diff). Thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    hey guys, I'm trying to decide between xt and x0 (xo would have magura mt6) The price diff through my lbs is about $600. I'm also trying to decide between stans arch ex and wtb freguency i23 rims (no price diff). Thoughts? Thanks!
    Shimano, and for me carbon bike/carbon rims. Given that choice I'd go with the stan's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Xt... Wayyyy better brakes.. The new shadow plus works great.. push and pull with 2x gear dump.. And for me-- just a system that works better.. I have both-- ill stick with xt.. As for rims--- light bicycle carbon rims 29, wide, process 2 on kings or hadlys..

If your ONLY going to ride the bike in the mountains-- then xx1 is something to look at.. But for me -- i ride to much too and from the trail-- and i just think id be spinning out with a single front gear.. So for me -- 2x10 is the way to go.. But it sure would be nice to ditch that front D-- and cables and adjustments and extra rings etc.. But with that said-- if i did go xx1-- id still go xt brakes..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been told there is a 1lb weight difference between XT and X0. Is that pretty accurate? That's really the only reason why I was considering X0 over XT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There is about a pound difference.. But i stopped looking at weights and just went with function.. Which system do i like better.. 100% full disclosure-- im actually running a hybrid right now...

xt brakes-- these are a must
    xo cranks-- stiff and liked the way the feel and look plus 120 grams lighter
    xt Derailleur
    xt shifters... I like the push and pull option for the gears along with 2x dump option

For me-- this is the combo i really like.. Better function-- lower cost at only a small weight penalty.. You are not going to feel a half pound difference when your on the bike riding.. But you will notice better shifts and a smoother ride..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am going with Medium Black, sticking with XT build best bang for the buck. I like like Sram XX on my current bike but don't love it. I think the XT brakes and drive-train is better (for me at least) Selling the Arches, anyone want to buy some new Arches never ridden don't have them yet, $425. I ordered up some Specialized Roval Control Carbon wheels. Wheels came in, bike hasn't! Not sure when the med is going to show. Also switched out the tires, not sure yet, Han Damph, Nobby Nics, or Specialized. Need something fatter than stock, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks again guys, appreciate your help. I think XT would make the most sense for my needs. Stilling would be happy to hear anyone other opinions

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Zeppman, let us know what you decide. My theory was sell the stock wheels for $400 or so, take the $600 spread and get some carbon wheels, still I tiny bit heavier but not much plus you have tough still wheels. In my opinion flexy wheels have been the only downside to a 29er. The Arch wheels are pretty darn good but do move around a bit more than I would like. I think with the carbon wheels and the flex make most of the issues go away.

I was really leaning towards the 120 but all my race buddies, mechanic friends, Ibis etc convinced my the 34 is the way to go. I am little worried it might be a little slack for my liking but I can always reduce the travel a bit to make it a little steeper if need be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Truckeemtb-- you can also get the 140 and use a angleset headset... Do a 1 degree and now your running a 69.5 140--- fast handling and some travel..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast