mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Pivot maintenance

I just got a Mojo HD 160 and I want to make sure I keep it maintained.

Did a search in this forum but didn't see the answer to 'how do I maintain my pivots?'

Do I just avoid spraying water directly in them and then replace them when they squeak or get tight (as in sealed or dry pivots)?

or

Do I spray lube into them (Triflow?) or disassemble and grease them periodically?

I see I can buy new ones from Ibis, but I'd like to delay that as long as possible.

Thanks in advance!

sbstumpy (which I should now change to sbmojo I guess).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Every once in a while, while I am overhauling my bike, I take the links off, pop off one seal on each bearing, and clean out as best I can, pack in new grease, seal it, spin the bearing a bunch, re-clean the bearing and repack, good as new.

Dropshot Champ!
    it sure seems like you can run most of them dry and nasty for years, except the lowering link bottom bearings. Those things just die every year or so.

They're 2 or 3 bucks at my local bike shop for enduro bearings though, so it's not really an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

I sent the question on the Ibis (after there were no replies in the first 80 views or so) and here is the response from them, which corroborates your input.

"The links on the HD are pretty robust. You live in a relatively dry place as well, so the longevity should be good. If you like, you could peel off the seals and put grease in there periodically. That's about all I'd suggest. You're correct not to spray the bearings directly with water, at least not high pressure water.
    Eventually, you will need to replace them. The easiest way is to buy the links from us. Alternatively, you can attempt to purchase bearings and put them in yourself. It's not real easy though, which is why we don't sell bearing kits. You'll need a press and some special tools.
    Scot"

Thanks!