Thread: pike vs deville

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

pike vs deville

still trying to decide which direction to go for new fork for my 650b converted 160 mode HD. i was set on pike but started to see a lot of complaints of the fork having too stiff mid stoke resulting in spiky feel.
    wandering what people running deville have to say about them. over half pound heavier, bit more expensive but how do they ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Deville all the way, if price isn't an issue and servicing is accessible
    It is hard to describe how good the damping is on the Bos.
    I have had many top range forks on my HD. 55RC3 Ti, 36's, XF Vengeance HLR and the 160 Deville (2010 model)
    And although the Vengeance stands out head and shoulders as the "best of the rest", as far as the damper is concerned I still feel the Bos is better. The Vengeance is is stiffer
    I like 20mm axles up front and so it was disappointing when the new Pike came out with 15mm only.
    Everything about the Bos is gorgeous. Beautifully made parts, super reliable, stiff enough and rewards the faster you go. They have a terrfic controlled ramp up, don't ever spike or dive and are really really easy to setup. Base settings from manual are pretty darn good and there there doesn't seem to be any way of making them completely suck. Range on the adjusters give you all you need to dial your ride in but not enough to screw them up.

I love mine and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. Go for it, you've got all the time in the world to buy mass market products later

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    now the pike 160 650b changes bike geometry simmilar to running 170mm 26" fork but can be reduced down to 150 if i wanted my current geometry. is this same with 650b deville?
    any idea? is deville easy to reduce if i needed to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ok, deville AC is even 5mm more than pike. i would want an option to go to 150mm if i dont like new geo

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the Devilles have a spacer option. Deville ac is not that tall compared to say Marzocchis and the X Fusion as far as I can tell. Remember that the HD and HDR are not XC noodles - I have actually raised the front and gained in descending speed. Long climbs have improved with fitness but I have never really felt like compromising the damper to change to some form of Talas or U Turn
    BOS Deville 160mm TRC 650b/27.5" Fork White 20mm Review

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You should look at the XF Offerings too btw.
    The Vengeance if you are a charger or the lighter sweep or slant
    HLR dampers are very good

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Love my BOS Deville TRC. The TRC feature is a little goofy but I understand it is different and more useful now than it used to be (now it is 3 position).

One of my favorite things is having independently adjustable hi and low speed compression knobs. I increased the damping at low speed and decreased the damping at high speeds, so now the fork won't dive when I am picking my way slowly over techy stuff or jamming on brakes, but still responds oh-so-well when I am bombing down chunk at high speeds. Love it.

I have not had extensive testing time on a Pike yet, but I have several friends who ride them and love them. Think you are not gonna go crazy wrong with either one! I would say if you value weight and $$$, go with the Pike. If you want performance more than anything, get the Bos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    +1 for the Deville, it is pretty amazing, I run the 160 TRC 26" on my 27.5" HDR. It's a little tight on the clearance about .5 an inch or so, with this setup the AC is exactly in line with the 150 pike.

Amazing ride, I'm going way faster and much smoother with the Deville than my 2011 Talas, real happy with it.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I'd say - XF Vengeance HLR coil all the way. It's the most amazing fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    + 1 on the deville . Like what most describe, pretty amazing . Very well controlled

meh
    Think I remember BOS service/warranty being sketchy in the States in the past here...not sure if that is still the case. Something to check on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Think I remember BOS service/warranty being sketchy in the States in the past here...not sure if that is still the case. Something to check on.
    Getting better the world over. I think there has been a change of attitude and a realisation at Bos that if they tackle these issues they are onto a winner. I only hope that they don't get so popular as to have to move production from hand made to meet demand

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just to follow up. I have commented on the BOS. I have always rated this fork as its damper is very very good. I have no time on the Pike so this is all a bit OT. The Pike for me was not a major contender as I really do like a 20mm axle up front. Tests suggest there is little in it stiffness-wise but I beg to differ and I have always enjoyed the
    "charger" aspect of a 20mm fork ever since I fitted the original Pike.
    I have two great forks, The Deville of course - mine is a 2010. The fork has changed a little since then but I understands that the dampers are the same or very similar. And I have the Vengeance Air HLR. Previously I had a Marzocchi 55RC3 Ti (grey 160mm version 2012 I think)
    I have been back and forward between the Deville and XF Vengeance but I think my final conclusion is that the Vengeance edges it. The Deville is lighter and has great damping but the Vengeance is tauter, stiffer and not phased by much. The damping quality is so close that I would err on side of stiffness. The Deville is a pound lighter - which is a lot when comparing air forks but it feels a touch out of its league on the tracks I ride - where things get sketchy and steep, loads of square edged rocks and other features that forks ping off. My Deville is 1 1.8th with a reducer crown race, my Vengeance is tapered - this may be a factor but I can't be certain.
    So for me the nod goes ever so slightly to the Vengeance. I have an awful problem having these two brilliant, brilliant forks in my garage! Add the supposedly terrific Pike to the mix and we have a wonderful selection. In fact given the last few years woes, Fox is really the only major manufacturer I avoid (except for Fox 40's). There have been well documented issues with their forks and I hated the RP23 on the HD

Keep on Rockin...
    I don't have time on both forks but can't see anywhere above where a responder has either - so here it goes.

The Pike is a great fork and can't go wrong with one. It is light and stiff. I'd say this fork is such a step up from other offerings that it was a game changer - even more that carbon hoops I put on my bike (and you'll hear from riders how much difference that is suppose to make).

Last year's big complaint from longer travel trail forks was "too much dive". RS has now addressed that with the Pike and riders are now suggesting the fork lost some plushness through its mid-stroke.

The Pike is not perfect, but is by far the best fork I've ever ridden.

mountain biker
    I have a Pike. This is the first I've ever heard of a too stiff mid stroke or "spiking" (my understanding of spiking is when the oil can't switch from the low speed to the high speed damping circuit smoothly, and gets blocked momentarily). I've not once felt spiking with the Pike. The beauty with the Pike is you can tune the progressiveness of the stroke with their tokens. So if you want a smoother midstroke, you would remove tokens. If you need more support, you add tokens.

Also, I will touch on the stiffness of the 20mm axle issue. I was coming off a 36 when I got my Pike. I agonized over the decision to let go of 20mm. In the end I decided that if I found it too noodly, I could probably easily sell the Pike at not too much loss and get a Vengeance. Turns out it wasn't an issue, and is only noticeable at the very margins of performance when I'm pushing the fork really hard in really chunky conditions. I'd say I encounter those conditions maybe 5% of my time on the saddle, probably less. I figured given the weight gains, and gain in outright damping performance, I'd rather go the lighter route. I'm 215 soaking wet, and I like to think I charge the downhills reasonably hard, the chunkier the better.

I have no time on the Deville, so I can't compare, but I wanted to clarify a few things about the Pike, and share my experience choosing it.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I owned two Bos deville (160 trc), if you can afford it go for it, will not disappoint you. It rides extremely well, plush and after dial it you get what you want. The service is very easy for any LBS and Xfusion 34 mm dust wipers will fit perfectly (same design as bos, maybe same supplier?).

Pike is awesome also, lots of friends are using it and some times i will glad to try a pike/monarch setup on my HD. What i like about the Pike and rock shox is that you can easily buy the upper parts online (as an example) and change it or rebuild it; for the deville that could be a nightmare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just asked a USA dealer/service center when the Deville 150 would be available, weight...? Said BOS Deville will be available by end of July. They are selling for $1070, and the weight appears to be stated at 1800 grams (3.96 lbs). My next upgrade!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagon650B View Post
    Just asked a USA dealer/service center when the Deville 150 would be available, weight...? Said BOS Deville will be available by end of July. They are selling for $1070, and the weight appears to be stated at 1800 grams (3.96 lbs). My next upgrade!
    Correction, it sounds like the new Deville AM 150 will be approx. 1921g (not 1800 like the 140mm version) Axle to Crown: 535 $1050 USD

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just gone back to BOS
    simply the best fork. Had top line marzocchi, fox, RS XF
    The BOS damper is sublime

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    Just gone back to BOS
    simply the best fork. Had top line marzocchi, fox, RS XF
    The BOS damper is sublime
    Show us a pic !