mtbr member

PF92 BB replacement suggestion for Ripley?

Doing some maintenance on my Ripley, and upon removing my XT cranks I notice that the Shimano BB bearings are quite rough and draggy. I'm thinking of replacing the BB, and wonder if anyone has suggestions for a good alternative to Shimano (keeping my XT cranks).

I've had great luck with Chris King and RaceFace over the years...anyone running one of these on a Ripley? Others?

mtbr member
    I'm going to assume that all BB92 PFs are compatible and say e*Thirteen also makes one that might work for you. They have excellent customer service as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    All pressfit bearings are pretty crappy. Id say get something cheap. I agree with dseybert, e13 has got excellent CS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dseybert View Post
    I'm going to assume that all BB92 PFs are compatible and say e*Thirteen also makes one that might work for you. They have excellent customer service as well.
    Alas, not all BB92 PFs are compatible. I'll save the rant about the proliferation of "standards" and how hard it makes it to get parts....

e*Thirteen's BBs are made for 30mm crank spindles, while Shimano cranks use a 24mm spindle.

I ended up getting a Wheels Mfg. BB, kind of on a whim. Looks like a solid unit and has gotten good reviews. We'll see when it shows up. Chris King is attractive, but also literally 3x the price of most others.

Seems like most of these units are made to be essentially disposable, i.e. you can't pull them and then re-install, and they only last about a season (maybe less here in the PNW). Put me on the PF-BB hater list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did you get the wheels mfg. sleeve press fit bb kit? It looks like that would help the alignment and keep contamination to a minimum.

mtbr member
    This is the one I got, Wheels Mfg. with angular contact bearings:
    Wheels Mfg BB86/92 Bottom Bracket w/Angular Contact Bearings for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks

I picked this one because it seems very well thought out: aluminum sleeve with a stepped composite seal, quality bearings, good seals. I also like that they provide a fair amount of technical info about the parts and why they were chosen, unlike Shimano and RaceFace.

mtbr member
    When I replace mine I'll likely go with Chris King. Have a couple buddies who used to replace their BBs at least once a year, and say the CK lasts 2 to 3x longer. This is especially nice with these PIA PF BBs, since the more you replace them, the more chance you have of damaging the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving View Post
    When I replace mine I'll likely go with Chris King. Have a couple buddies who used to replace their BBs at least once a year, and say the CK lasts 2 to 3x longer. This is especially nice with these PIA PF BBs, since the more you replace them, the more chance you have of damaging the frame.
    what about these?

RWC BB92 FOR PIVOT BRAND ALUMINUM BIKES

or maybe this is a better link...since we're not talking pivot bikes.

PRESS-IN BOTTOM BRACKETS, CERAMIC HYBRID

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just got a new Ripley...will this work with a SRAM X9 Crank in a Ripley frame?

Wheels Mfg BB86/92 Bottom Bracket w/Angular Contact Bearings for 24/22mm (SRAM/Truvativ) Cranks

I notice it does not have the little splined cap on the end. Maybe I just don't see it?

mtbr member
    The splined cap on the end is just the dust cover with SRAM BB's; where the crank actually contacts the bearing is normal (well, 22mm on the NDS vs. 24mm on both like shimano but anyways...). And Yes the WMfg BB you linked to will work just fine, they're pretty good quality and when the bearings wear out you can replace just the bearings and not the whole assembly, though replacing them with the same angular contact bearings might be tough to track down.

Also seems like this thread is a bit older but think one of the Enduro torque tight ones might be one of the better PF/BB92 options out there. Expensive but worth a look: TorqTite | Enduro Bearings

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah, I know it was an old thread, but figured I'd recycle instead of start a new one.

Thanks for chiming in with a reply. Wheels BB ordered. Decided to go with the cheaper one just because....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010