View Poll Results: what pedals for the Mojo?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • platform

9 15.52%
  • clip w/ platform

11 18.97%
  • clip

38 65.52%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mojo mofo

pedals for the Mojo

Are you running platforms or clipless on your carbon Mojo? Also maybe why.

It's the axle
    I was running Time Atac pedals. But after six years of being unable to clip out fast enough in an emergency, I got eggbeaters.

I can say without a doubt that the eggbeaters (ahem) beat up the Atacs.

Just today I had several instances where unclipping saved me from a fall.

I can ride for hours without the so-called hotspots. I love these pedals. Oh yeah, and by getting the 4ti's I pulled a half pound off my cranks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Frogs

Had SPDs for years, then found Frogs two years ago. Very easy entry and exit. Never had an issue with not being able to get out of them in an emergency. Lots of float and light to boot.

-Alex
    "Nothing is free."

Ibis Mojo / Parlee Z5 / Colnago Master Zabel / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring w/bamboo fenders

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been running the eggbeaters for awhile now and I just got a pair of candys for the mojo. I like the bit of extra body you get with the candy's. It keeps the pedals from rolling if you don't hit the pedal perfectly-well woth the weight penalty. I can honestly say that they are the best pedals I have used. I've tried SPD's (work ok), Time ATAC's (like cb's w/ too much spring tension), and Frogs (funky) and since trying crankbrothers I haven't looked back. They are simply the best pedals out there at this point. The entry is really simple and very positive feeling, as is the exit. It is suprising how little force is necessary to clip out too, it is extremely easy to get out. Twist your foot and you pop out, no hanging up on the pedal, no wrenching you ankle 180 degrees, just flick your heel out and your foot is free, instantly. And I have yet to pull out of them unexpectedly. I have been running these on all of my bikes, including my downhill bike because they're so easy to get out of. Fairly often if I feel the tires breaking loose I can clip out and dab a foot before going down-and I'm not talking low speed, I mean blowing a turn at 20mph breaking the front tire loose and still being able to dab a foot to stay upright. Yeah that's good. Plus they're light and fairly inexpensive.Frankly I thingk most of the negative comments about these pedals come from riders who don't set them up properly. It is imperative that the shoe's sole material does not impede the cleat from engaging/disengaging or they'll perform poorly. Also depeding on which shoe you place the cleat on you can change the release angle. I like the shallower release angle. Anyhow I would definitely give the cb's a good hard look before making your decision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Crank Bros are the way to go. Fantastic MTB pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Will be getting these Burgtec Snow Camos on my new Mojo when it finally arrives:-

http://www.burgtec.co.uk/npedal2.html

Will use these with their Fiveten Impact shoes for the ultimate grip!

mtbr member
    Crank Bros 5050xx.....old school.....flats all the way!
    Damn i wish i had known about those Burgtec pedals when building the Mojo....those snow camos and red's are Sa-WEET.
    Fear No Beer!

mtbr member

Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by B_Aero
    Had SPDs for years, then found Frogs two years ago. Very easy entry and exit. Never had an issue with not being able to get out of them in an emergency. Lots of float and light to boot.

-Alex
    Been on frogs for 11 years ... they feel like an extension of my body but occasionally I eye the CB.

www.derbyrims.com
    '07 Time ATAC (composite).
    Most consistent exit in mud.
    Most durable and consistent entry and exit of any clipless.
    0 to 5+ degrees adjustable exit float (using cleat alignment).
    Best pedal to ground contact design.
    The ATAC carbon design is no lighter but it has adjustable release tension in '07 (maybe a benefit to set easier than standard tension for riders with injured angles or knees and for beginners during the first few weeks of using clipless).

I switched to Time about 5 years ago after many problems with SPD's not releasing in mud. I considered Crank Bros, but ATACs are better in every way.

mtbr member
    I stole a pair of Eggbeaters from my other bike for now but I'm thinking of getting a pair of Acid's for the extra platform support.

The added touch of carbon fiber is great too.

mtbr member
    I'm on the Crank Bros Eggbeaters, and they're the best I've used. I've used SPDs and Time, and I found those more high maintenance and less durable than the Eggbeaters. I agree that the CB's are also easier exit, and the simplicity, weight and durability of the CBs is unmatched IMO. Plus the simple design looks great on the Mojo.

One complaint is that I have very rarely experienced an accidental pedal exit on bumpy technical sections. Granted this was on my former, less plush bike that got jostled around more than the Mojo, and probably just a sign I needed new cleats---but still a bit unnerving. Also, I don't think the entry is quite easy as the Time's, but only marginally worse once you get used to them. Basically the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    I stole a pair of Eggbeaters from my other bike for now but I'm thinking of getting a pair of Acid's for the extra platform support.

The added touch of carbon fiber is great too.
    Oooo, those are mighty handsome...might have to join you there Ken!

It's the axle
    I find the eggbeater entry to be far easier than the Time Atacs. And I've found the complaint of "rolling" of the pedal on entry to be negligible. I only entered the Atac pedals first time, only a handful of times over six years. In a month I have clipped in first time on the eg's just about every other time. I wish I had switched over long ago.

Oddly enough, I discovered the eggbeater patent back around 2000 while working on a custom eggbeater. Don't laugh. I made a really cool high speed hand operated eggbeater. When I saw the Crank Bros. patent they looked stupid. But on the Mojo they look wicked.

Grams Light Bikes
    I have tried both the eggbeaters and spuds and like the spuds much better. I keep the springs tension pretty light on my SPD's. I did not like the eggbeaters cause the bothered me how they would catch on rocks. I found the eggbeaters hard to get out of (no matter what direction I did the clip). I have one bad knee and just couldn't seem to twist to get out of them. Just to much of a twist for me. The SPD are easy to get out of and I can do more of a micro adjustment with the clips, something the eggbeater clip does not allow. And man do they hurt when you bang into them! And they have no platform. Now the SPD's are worse in the mud but I don't have much of that here in Colorado. If I was to go back to the eggs it would be the Candys cause of the platform. And the spuds are heavy!

mojo mofo
    ... I'm thinking of getting a pair of Acid's for the extra platform support ... The added touch of carbon fiber is great too.
    Those acids are quite nice. I'm *learning* on smarty right now, and I think my shaved platform shoes with ultra knobby tread are what is giving me trouble. Because by learning I mean eating sh*t every two seconds on tight trails, I see the benefit on long flowy stuff and paved stuff but that isn't really what this bike is for.

Maybe I'll go back to platform for the first season on this bike to prevent unnecessary pedal learning frame dings.

mtbr member
    How much of a platform does the Candy actually have? From the looks of it, the "wings" don't seem to make any contact with the soles of the shoes. Is the purpose of that platform to prevent rolling during clip-in?

Come to think of it, even the mallets with their huge platforms look a little uncomfortable to use if you're not clipped in due to the protrusion of the clips.

I wish they'd make a lightweight version of my old Shimano M324's which had an SPD on one side and a beartrap on the other...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    Oooo, those are mighty handsome...might have to join you there Ken!
    First thing I fitted to my Mojo were Acid1 pedals.(the alloy version).

There were no Acid2 (magnesium/carbon) available at that time.

Acid2 fitted now!

LOVE them.

Elvis.

holding back the darkness
    Currently I'm on Candy SL's.. coming from 10+ years of SPD devotion.... The Candy's are nice. Though I'm not quite sold on them yet. There is the problem of roll... seem to have "play" axially(?). And if you screw up your timing and whack the bottom side on a rock in just the right way they eject in a pretty dramatic fashion.
    That being said... I still think that they are 'nice' They're light and shed mud, are easily serviceable, and are simply designed.

I might be an old-fashioned bike dork, but as for the voting tabs at the top, what exactly are "clips"? Is this referring to toe clips and straps or clipless pedals?
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    I might be an old-fashioned bike dork, but as for the voting tabs at the top, what exactly are "clips"? Is this referring to toe clips and straps or clipless pedals?
    I think it's referring to a clipless pedal without a platform... like an eggbeater.

holding back the darkness
    I think it's referring to a clipless pedal without a platform... like an eggbeater.
    Sorry... rhetorical. Kinda a pet peeve of mine when folks refer to clipless pedals as "clips".
    **** censorship

mojo mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Sorry... rhetorical. Kinda a pet peeve of mine when folks refer to clipless pedals as "clips".
    I know, it looked weird to me too. But bare platforms could be called clipless also, so I left it.

In the actual first post where I posed the question, I refer to them as clipless so that should count for something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have been using eggbeaters for quite a while and I think they are great. Recently I had problems unclipping, cost me some scratches on the mojo. I have replaced the cleats and still need alot more rotation than they used to to unclip. Also there is a bit of rolling around on the left pedal out of the plane of the float. Does this mean that the wings are getting worn out? Are the wings replacable

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d3toid
    I have been using eggbeaters for quite a while and I think they are great. Recently I had problems unclipping, cost me some scratches on the mojo. I have replaced the cleats and still need alot more rotation than they used to to unclip. Also there is a bit of rolling around on the left pedal out of the plane of the float. Does this mean that the wings are getting worn out? Are the wings replacable
    Did you try swapping the cleats from left to right shoe? One of them releases at 15 degrees while the other releases at 20.

mtbr member
    I just gave in and ordered a pair of Crank Brothers Acid2s in black/carbon.

I have 2 other bicycles with eggbeaters and just one pair of cycling shoes between them so it wouldn't have been feasible for me to with a brand other than CB.

I'll let you know how they fare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I must chime in (for the first time)

I had Time Atacs on my previous bike (let's leave it unnamed for now) - good pedal, easy in and release. I replaced them with egg beaters and was never as comfortable. I did not like the slim profile and had trouble engaging them on entries - call me lame - but there is not much there to smack your shoe around on and I'm less than precise when drooling over an impending downhill, which led to much cursing. With the Mojo I switched to the latest XTR pedals - what a difference! A larger area, like the ATAC, and an affirmative "click" upon entry (which is lacking with the low-end egg beaters I had). Also, in tight spots I can force a lateral exit which I never figured out on the Crank Bros. pedals. I will never go back, despite the added weight, and I purchased them at cost because of the dime(s) I dropped on the Mojo. Maybe the Candy and that Acid carbon beauty resolve these issues?
    Ok, guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast