Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pedals

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

pedals

i am looking at the crank bros eggbeaters for my new mojoey and my buddy told me not to get the ones with ti spindles because i am at #220lbs. any thoughts...........besides losing weight

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I recommend something more heavy duty like the Crank Bros Mallets check em out Mojo Dude!

Matt Scott

www.derbyrims.com
    The Candy SL models has stainless steel spinals, not much heavier and supposed to be the most durable of the smaller CB pedals.

At your weight ti is probably not recommended because it snaps easier than most steel. Check with CB tech support for any ti pedal weight limits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks

The MTB Lab
    Yea, at your weight I would stay away from Ti spindles, but heck what do I know I weigh 150 lbs and can get away with a lot of light weight parts, plus I prefer XTR SPuD's myself

mtbr member
    I'm in the #200 range.

Got two words for ya:
    Time ATAC.

I have them on all my bikes (except DH - flats) and love them.
    The best pedal I've used, period. And I've been through, Eggs, Mallets, Shimanos...
    Best engagement, period and release is at least as good as the Eggs. Mud clogging? What's that???
    Plus you have a bit of a platform too.
    I got the XS version, but frankly, I've never touched the adjustment screw.
    They come in at 260 grams, I think... It doesn't matter. They're great!

Check out the Atac XEs too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Look Quartz Carbon/TI

199grams the pair and NO weight limits. Plus the look KOOOL

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    I can confirm, they are really great. I used Shimano 959 before, but Times engage easier in muddy conditions and disengage even better. The weight is not as optimistic as Ro.nin have stated, but 288.8g for XS titan carbon is quite nice. Currently I am also thinking about new Look Quartz Ti Carbon, but they don't use coil spring (that's why they're so light), so will look for the reviews first.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oiz
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    I'm in the #200 range.

Got two words for ya:
    Time ATAC.

I have them on all my bikes (except DH - flats) and love them.
    The best pedal I've used, period. And I've been through, Eggs, Mallets, Shimanos...
    Best engagement, period and release is at least as good as the Eggs. Mud clogging? What's that???
    Plus you have a bit of a platform too.

Check out the Atac XEs too.
    I second that. The engagement is very positive, you hear the click when you're in. Not to mention the lateral float.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yeah they said i was too phat for ti spindles. sticking with chrmoly spindles probably the egg beaters ti. with chrmoly spindle 230 gr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    I can confirm, they are really great. I used Shimano 959 before, but Times engage easier in muddy conditions and disengage even better. The weight is not as optimistic as Ro.nin have stated, but 288.8g for XS titan carbon is quite nice.
    Right... they're around 320grams.
    For 100g they're absolutely worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Unpredictable
    Aren't the Times ATAC just another version of the Crank B Candy's? Look the same in general and the lateral float and lock-in/release comments sound like the same too?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i am reading and also hearing some mixed reviews on the e-beaters. maybe i won't get them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    XTR's work well for me, and my buddy swears on the Times as the best.
    I have never had my Shimanos clog up on me, even riding in the worst conditions. However, I rarely walk or unclip when I'm on the bike, so I might not be the person to talk to.
    Eggbeaters don't seem to be durable to me. I have found the entire pedal minus the axle on the trail once, and just yesterday, I found one of the bars from an eggbeater snapped off of the main body on the trail, that wasn't there when I rode past the spot an hour earlier.
    The Looks look very sweet to me. The only reason I don't have them is every bike I have has Shimano pedals
    Shimano, Time, or Look. You won't lose with either.

mtbr member
    I've used Eggbeater SLs (=non-titanium version) for about three years. They replaced Shimano 959s which I broke while hitting a stone.

Eggbeaters have needed zero maintenance and are still working pretty well. I've hit rocks with the pedals many times without any problems.

It took a while to get used to a different engagement/disengagement points compared to Shimanos but after getting used to Eggbeaters I wouldn't change back to Shimanos. Eggbeaters are much better in difficult muddy or icy/snowy conditions compared to my old Shimanos. The open structure is much more mud/ice resistant than Shimanos.

The actual weight of my current Eggbeaters is 274 g. I also just received a new pair for my future Mojo SL frame and the new pair weighed 264 g.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

The MTB Lab
    Pedals are one of those very personal things like a good pair of shoes. I don't like EB's cause I didn't like the non platform and I hated how they released, to much float for my taste. I also did not like how they reacted when I hit a rock, they seemed to get grabbed, my SPD's suck when your cleats gets wet sand or mud in them but it's rare that they give me much problem and its rare in Colorado to have much mud anyway, and I have bashed my SPD's a lot due to the sag I've set on the Mojo and the low bottom bracket. I spent all my clip life on SPD's so thats what my brain likes!

But like I said to each their own...

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Pedals are one of those very personal things like a good pair of shoes. I don't like EB's cause I didn't like the non platform and I hated how they released, to much float for my taste. I also did not like how they reacted when I hit a rock, they seemed to get grabbed, my SPD's suck when your cleats gets wet sand or mud in them but it's rare that they give me much problem and its rare in Colorado to have much mud anyway, and I have bashed my SPD's a lot due to the sag I've set on the Mojo and the low bottom bracket. I spent all my clip life on SPD's so thats what my brain likes!

Outside float can be adjusted on most cleats of any brand by aligning the cleat to point forward near your big toe rather than straight up the center of the shoe.

BTW, I don't like SPD's due to the inconsistent drying muddy grit no-release problem in wet conditions or after stream crossings. Otherwise they are great for dry conditions.

Time and eggbeates use brass cleats which are soft and "self-lubricating" to avoid locking your foot in when grit dries to the pedals. Also the release is very consistent dry or wet, even easier when wet. Iíve had about 6 years of no maintenance use on now my 3írd set of Time pedals after about 8 years of SPD types after 10+ years of platform with "clip-in" straps. I'd like to try Crank Bros. Candies and Acids, but I see no big reason to switch from something so reliable and consistent.

mtbr member
    for 200 pound plus dudes, the Candy 2Ti is a contender, Candy SL also but is about 42 grams heavier.

My Mojo is kind of heavy so I'm trying to shave a couple grams off where ever I can safely get away with it.

I've been on Candy SL for quite some time. It's a great pedal and feels better than the Times they replaced. The problem with the Times is that the cleat engagement area is relatively wide and your foot can drift laterally to the outside which I found to be uncomfortable. Otherwise the Times are great but since they are french, that's a good enough reason for me to pass on them for future use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    Aren't the Times ATAC just another version of the Crank B Candy's? Look the same in general and the lateral float and lock-in/release comments sound like the same too?
    Times < Candy IMO. The lateral foot drift is an uncomfortable feeling IMO.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Outside float can be adjusted on most cleats of any brand by aligning the cleat to point forward near your big toe rather than straight up the center of the shoe.

BTW, I don't like SPD's due to the inconsistent drying muddy grit no-release problem in wet conditions or after stream crossings. Otherwise they are great for dry conditions.

Time and eggbeates use brass cleats which are soft and "self-lubricating" to avoid locking your foot in when grit dries to the pedals. Also the release is very consistent dry or wet, even easier when wet. Iíve had about 6 years of no maintenance use on now my 3írd set of Time pedals after about 8 years of SPD types after 10+ years of platform with "clip-in" straps. I'd like to try Crank Bros. Candies and Acids, but I see no big reason to switch from something so reliable and consistent.
    Yea, its pretty much always dry conditions in Colorado. I hike a bike a lot due to the terrain I ride in and was always wearing out the brass cleats. Yes, there have been a few times in technical stuff in which some sandy grit got on the cleat and it was difficult to get out of the SPD's.

In regards to cleat alignments, yes you can adjust the alignments but only to a certain degree, especially with the EB's, you are a bit constrained by the 2 nut/bolt system on your shoe, only so much rotation is possible, the SPD's cleats have a bit more adjustment cause the bolts sit in a sort of tray that allows some more minor movement, works great for my old ACK knee.

Float
    ------
    EB's 15 degree of float
    SPD's 8 degree's of float
    Time 10 degrees of float

Peace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    for 200 pound plus dudes, the Candy 2Ti is a contender, Candy SL also but is about 42 grams heavier.

My Mojo is kind of heavy so I'm trying to shave a couple grams off where ever I can safely get away with it.

I've been on Candy SL for quite some time. It's a great pedal and feels better than the Times they replaced. The problem with the Times is that the cleat engagement area is relatively wide and your foot can drift laterally to the outside which I found to be uncomfortable. Otherwise the Times are great but since they are french, that's a good enough reason for me to pass on them for future use.
    ah we we.....

mtbr member
    I've got a nice set of Candy SL's I'll sell you. They are in great shape. And they ain't french whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks, i will let you know. not sure what i want yet.

mtbr member
    ...I don't like EB's cause I didn't like the non platform...
    The lack of platform was bothering me at first when I started using Eggbeaters but after a while you get used to it. However I'd like to try the Crank Bros Candys sometimes to see what kind of difference a platform would make.

This is very true.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    I had a set of eggs at one point before and I must say the Candies are a tad more comfortable. The platforms are nice when you jump on the pedals and aren't yet clipped in. You won't notice the platforms otherwise but they are nice to have for those times you need them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

eggies

I have EB Sls on my mojo and have been using them for about 3 years. I like the float alot, it allows me to do tail whips and tabletops without unclipping in flight. The worst thing is the the cleats wear out too fast. I have had my mojo just over a year and been through 3 sets of cleats and the expensive ones that were meant to last longer only lasted 3 months. I bought a set of the DH type EBs (cant remeber th name) but I still prefer the SLs as the platform makes it harder to unclip in an emergency. Those pedals reside on my old giant cadex which is a SS.

mtbr member

CB Candies

My 2 cents: Over the years I've used Shimano, Time and Crank Bros EBs and CB Candies. I like the SPDs the least, and like the Candies the most. They have the simple and bulletproof eggbeater engagement/disengagement, a bit of a platform for dicey situations, and pretty light.

Also, I have only gone through one set of cleats in the past year, and I ride a lot (with plenty of engage/disengage each ride), so I'm not sure why d3toid has gone through so many. But I agree the cleats are not cheap, and not the most durable (though the cleats' slightly softer metal may be why they work so well, as Derby alluded to).

The CB Acids are cool looking, but heavier and I just can't seem to break my Candies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Cleat waer

I suspect that the reason I'm going thru cleats so quickly is that there maybe something wrong with the wings. Maybe they have developed a sharp edge from being hit by rocks. I did break the spring on one of the SLs a while ago just before they were 2 years old (fixed under warranty). My left cleat always wears out first. Probably because it is the foot I take out at traffic lights at short trail stops. Last time it wore out I was doing a whip to the left and my foot came out in mid air and gave the back wheel a good kick. I landed safely because of the Mojos standover height. Once the cleats are worn and accidently releasing not only in the air but just pulling straight up on hard techy uphills they still work fine in my mallets...

breathing helium

pedal shootout

I have decided to go with Crank Bros pedals for my bikes. I did a pedal shootout if you want to call it that. Pedal shootout I took basically one of almost every style of pedal out there. In the end, for my riding style and preference, the Egg Beater Candies were the winner. There are also the new Look pedals which look promising, but they were not available yet. I think that the Egg Beaters are a great mix of ease of entry/exit, simple design, and weight. The upper end models get pricey, but the lower models are very affordable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anyone tried using Look Quartz pedal yet? I heard its very lightweight and it has platform on it.

Anyway, there is a new Tima Atac pedal called Time Atac ROC something like dat, anyone seen one?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Quartz pedals...........!

These things are amazing. Big platform on them and the CHEAP versions are only 254grams! They run on 2 x cartridge bearings and 1 x roller bearing instead of 1xbearing and 1xbushing like crank brothers which wear out in a few weeks.

Just remember these are the cheap ones, the expensive ones are 199grams the pair! Thats only a bit heavier than the Eggbeater 4Ti but they actually have a platform and last more than a few rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tiffster, your picture is broken.

Anyway I know its lightweight but anyone rode or own it before? I heard the cleats are heavy.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its sad though, I dont see any mags do real review on them. Im sure they do great. The float is fixed to my understanding right?
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Becuase they have JUST this week become available for sale here in Europe so you wont see them in America for about another week.

There are two options for float depending on which way you put the cleat.

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Its sad though, I dont see any mags do real review on them. Im sure they do great. The float is fixed to my understanding right?
    I looked into the float on the Quartz. Here is what I came up with from Competitive Cyclist's website:

"The Look Quartz Carbon Titanium Pedal has an injection-molded carbon pedal body. The body runs on three sets of bearings, two sealed ball on the inside, and one set of needle bearings on the outside. The bearings run on an oversized titanium axle. The stack height is 12mm. There is float of plus or minus 3-degrees. The pedal comes with two cleats, one that releases at 15 degrees and one that releases at 20 degrees. The cleat position has lateral adjustability of +/- 15mm. In addition to the two different cleats, there are six shims to customize the float resistance; two 2mm, two 1mm, and two .5mm. The distance from the crankarm to the center of the pedal is 53mm (same as Look Keo road pedals). The pedals are black with silver springs and red bump stop rings, and they come with a two year warranty. The weight is 99g/pedal. System weight for two pedals, cleats and mounting hardware is 246g."

I'm not sure exactly what the float resistance means, but I bet it is something like the Eggbeaters. I have my cleats in the 20 degree setting and it provides a feeling of much more float than in the 15 degree angle setting. I'm assuming that the Looks operate in much the same way, but I'm not sure how the shims accomplish this unless they are simply used to tune out any interference with the sole of the shoe. I actually called Comp Cyclist and they did not know since they did not have a pair yet.

They look (no pun intended) like a good pedal. I might try a set one of these days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, it should be something like Eggbeaters.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you have bad knees like I do, you should also check out Speedplay Frogs...I've been riding Frogs since 1996 or so and have done XC racing, downhillings, trials, and jumping in them....

It takes a bit to get used to the "on ice" feeling these pedals have....but your spin adjusts in no time and the amount of freedom is amazing!

Check it out!: http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

206g for the Ti Frogs

More than somewhat.
    About SP Frogs:

I owned the Ti version of those and ditched them after a month. Unless they have changed the design recently, the cleat plugs full or crap easily, and can be almost impossible to engage, especially in cold weather. The weight of the cleat negates the low weight of the pedal.

I've got Quartz Carbons on the way.

You know my steez...

Smartys

I've always used Shimano SPDs until I got my Mojo. I wanted to try Crank Bros but the Egg Beaters reminded me of when I was a kid and rode on bare spindles with the rest of the pedal broken off! I got the Smarty pedals because of the platform and the price. They are similar to the Candy but less stout and have a shorter warranty. Compared to the last Shimanos I had, the Smartys have a "soft" engagement. There is no discernible "click" when I engage the pedal. It's relatively easy to clip in but not as positive as the SPD (IMO of course). The Smartys have interchangeable plastic "beauty" covers that are easily scuffed so even though my bike is in great cosmetic shape, the pedals look beat. I loved my SPDs but I am on a quest to try other brands just because. Too bad Time insists on making all their pedals with red graphics. It really clashes with my orange bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    BunnV, another alternative if you are willing to try is Look Quartz pedal, if Im not mistaken Competitive cyclist has them in their store

So far some riders are liking it
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Bunnv---Your beat pedals are just victims of you riding your bike so much more and harder now that you have a Mojo.

But seriously, the CB Smarties are cheaper than the Candies, and thus likely made more cheaply. My Candies have great, positive engagement and have been bulletproof through some fairly severe abuse. They certainly don't look anything close to new anymore, but I don't think any other pedals would either...

Pedal preferences are very personal, so I agree it's good to try 'em all.

mtbr member
    Candies are way superior in build and materials quality to low end Smarties and have excellent engagement. Another classic example of you get what you pay for. Here's a set for a good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=tab%3DSelling
    Last edited by Irrenarzt; 04-15-2008 at 01:22 PM.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    I own Mallet,Candy and Smarty and can not feel a difference in engagement,unclipping or what ever.
    The bearings at the Smartys are not sealed ball bearings,I think they have a simpler and cheaper cone system but everything seems to be made a bit simpler but they just work.The Smartys are even a few gramm lighter than my Candys.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    Bunnv---Your beat pedals are just victims of you riding your bike so much more and harder now that you have a Mojo.
    Either that or I crash too much!

mtbr member
    They sure do looked worked. Perhaps getting a loop at your local golf course might be in order.

You know my steez...

Quartz "Look" nice!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    BunnV, another alternative if you are willing to try is Look Quartz pedal, if Im not mistaken Competitive cyclist has them in their store

So far some riders are liking it
    I've had Look road pedals in the past and loved them. Those Quartz pedals do look nice . After I crash a few more times and break my CB Smartys, I'll try a set of Quartz carbon pedals.
    http://www.lookcycle.com/products/?m=7&l=en

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've had Look road pedals in the past and loved them. Those Quartz pedals do look nice . After I crash a few more times and break my CB Smartys, I'll try a set of Quartz carbon pedals.
    Glad you like Look pedals, you can join the thread crew below:
    MTBRWeightWeenies (Francois Look 986 is 19lbs, thats just crazy!).

Well I feel sorry for the smarty though, its named smarty but its getting crashed a lot . Poor "smart"y pedal.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member

Good deals

I know this is not the "find the bargains" thread, but for those interested in trying out the Crank Brothers, I just noticed Performance is having a pretty good sale on virtually all of the the CB models:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....3-_-component

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

cleat wear

I had another look at my left pedal CB EB SL and the spring is very loose. The inner wing has a lot of play about 3-4mm. So I checked the other pedal and it has nearly zero play. I should have got them to replace both springs when the right one broke about 5 months ago. My mallets have about 1mm of play and my very old chromes have about 2-3mm of play but they are on a bike that doesn't see much riding time.

Does anyone know how to remove the springs? I think it needs a special toll to get the wings off. I would like to try and retension the spring or get a new one, but if it costs too much then it is an excuse to go all weight weenie and get the pedals with the Ti springs. I have heard too many horror stories about the Ti axels to go that far even though I only weigh about 65 Kgs (150lbs I think).

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast