Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pedals

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

pedals

i am looking at the crank bros eggbeaters for my new mojoey and my buddy told me not to get the ones with ti spindles because i am at #220lbs. any thoughts...........besides losing weight

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I recommend something more heavy duty like the Crank Bros Mallets check em out Mojo Dude!

Matt Scott

www.derbyrims.com
    The Candy SL models has stainless steel spinals, not much heavier and supposed to be the most durable of the smaller CB pedals.

At your weight ti is probably not recommended because it snaps easier than most steel. Check with CB tech support for any ti pedal weight limits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks

Grams Light Bikes
    Yea, at your weight I would stay away from Ti spindles, but heck what do I know I weigh 150 lbs and can get away with a lot of light weight parts, plus I prefer XTR SPuD's myself

mtbr member
    I'm in the #200 range.

Got two words for ya:
    Time ATAC.

I have them on all my bikes (except DH - flats) and love them.
    The best pedal I've used, period. And I've been through, Eggs, Mallets, Shimanos...
    Best engagement, period and release is at least as good as the Eggs. Mud clogging? What's that???
    Plus you have a bit of a platform too.
    I got the XS version, but frankly, I've never touched the adjustment screw.
    They come in at 260 grams, I think... It doesn't matter. They're great!

Check out the Atac XEs too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Look Quartz Carbon/TI

199grams the pair and NO weight limits. Plus the look KOOOL

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    I can confirm, they are really great. I used Shimano 959 before, but Times engage easier in muddy conditions and disengage even better. The weight is not as optimistic as Ro.nin have stated, but 288.8g for XS titan carbon is quite nice. Currently I am also thinking about new Look Quartz Ti Carbon, but they don't use coil spring (that's why they're so light), so will look for the reviews first.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oiz
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    I'm in the #200 range.

Got two words for ya:
    Time ATAC.

I have them on all my bikes (except DH - flats) and love them.
    The best pedal I've used, period. And I've been through, Eggs, Mallets, Shimanos...
    Best engagement, period and release is at least as good as the Eggs. Mud clogging? What's that???
    Plus you have a bit of a platform too.

Check out the Atac XEs too.
    I second that. The engagement is very positive, you hear the click when you're in. Not to mention the lateral float.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yeah they said i was too phat for ti spindles. sticking with chrmoly spindles probably the egg beaters ti. with chrmoly spindle 230 gr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    I can confirm, they are really great. I used Shimano 959 before, but Times engage easier in muddy conditions and disengage even better. The weight is not as optimistic as Ro.nin have stated, but 288.8g for XS titan carbon is quite nice.
    Right... they're around 320grams.
    For 100g they're absolutely worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Unpredictable
    Aren't the Times ATAC just another version of the Crank B Candy's? Look the same in general and the lateral float and lock-in/release comments sound like the same too?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i am reading and also hearing some mixed reviews on the e-beaters. maybe i won't get them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    XTR's work well for me, and my buddy swears on the Times as the best.
    I have never had my Shimanos clog up on me, even riding in the worst conditions. However, I rarely walk or unclip when I'm on the bike, so I might not be the person to talk to.
    Eggbeaters don't seem to be durable to me. I have found the entire pedal minus the axle on the trail once, and just yesterday, I found one of the bars from an eggbeater snapped off of the main body on the trail, that wasn't there when I rode past the spot an hour earlier.
    The Looks look very sweet to me. The only reason I don't have them is every bike I have has Shimano pedals
    Shimano, Time, or Look. You won't lose with either.

mtbr member
    I've used Eggbeater SLs (=non-titanium version) for about three years. They replaced Shimano 959s which I broke while hitting a stone.

Eggbeaters have needed zero maintenance and are still working pretty well. I've hit rocks with the pedals many times without any problems.

It took a while to get used to a different engagement/disengagement points compared to Shimanos but after getting used to Eggbeaters I wouldn't change back to Shimanos. Eggbeaters are much better in difficult muddy or icy/snowy conditions compared to my old Shimanos. The open structure is much more mud/ice resistant than Shimanos.

The actual weight of my current Eggbeaters is 274 g. I also just received a new pair for my future Mojo SL frame and the new pair weighed 264 g.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

Grams Light Bikes
    Pedals are one of those very personal things like a good pair of shoes. I don't like EB's cause I didn't like the non platform and I hated how they released, to much float for my taste. I also did not like how they reacted when I hit a rock, they seemed to get grabbed, my SPD's suck when your cleats gets wet sand or mud in them but it's rare that they give me much problem and its rare in Colorado to have much mud anyway, and I have bashed my SPD's a lot due to the sag I've set on the Mojo and the low bottom bracket. I spent all my clip life on SPD's so thats what my brain likes!

But like I said to each their own...

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Pedals are one of those very personal things like a good pair of shoes. I don't like EB's cause I didn't like the non platform and I hated how they released, to much float for my taste. I also did not like how they reacted when I hit a rock, they seemed to get grabbed, my SPD's suck when your cleats gets wet sand or mud in them but it's rare that they give me much problem and its rare in Colorado to have much mud anyway, and I have bashed my SPD's a lot due to the sag I've set on the Mojo and the low bottom bracket. I spent all my clip life on SPD's so thats what my brain likes!

Outside float can be adjusted on most cleats of any brand by aligning the cleat to point forward near your big toe rather than straight up the center of the shoe.

BTW, I don't like SPD's due to the inconsistent drying muddy grit no-release problem in wet conditions or after stream crossings. Otherwise they are great for dry conditions.

Time and eggbeates use brass cleats which are soft and "self-lubricating" to avoid locking your foot in when grit dries to the pedals. Also the release is very consistent dry or wet, even easier when wet. Iíve had about 6 years of no maintenance use on now my 3írd set of Time pedals after about 8 years of SPD types after 10+ years of platform with "clip-in" straps. I'd like to try Crank Bros. Candies and Acids, but I see no big reason to switch from something so reliable and consistent.

mtbr member
    for 200 pound plus dudes, the Candy 2Ti is a contender, Candy SL also but is about 42 grams heavier.

My Mojo is kind of heavy so I'm trying to shave a couple grams off where ever I can safely get away with it.

I've been on Candy SL for quite some time. It's a great pedal and feels better than the Times they replaced. The problem with the Times is that the cleat engagement area is relatively wide and your foot can drift laterally to the outside which I found to be uncomfortable. Otherwise the Times are great but since they are french, that's a good enough reason for me to pass on them for future use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    Aren't the Times ATAC just another version of the Crank B Candy's? Look the same in general and the lateral float and lock-in/release comments sound like the same too?
    Times < Candy IMO. The lateral foot drift is an uncomfortable feeling IMO.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Outside float can be adjusted on most cleats of any brand by aligning the cleat to point forward near your big toe rather than straight up the center of the shoe.

BTW, I don't like SPD's due to the inconsistent drying muddy grit no-release problem in wet conditions or after stream crossings. Otherwise they are great for dry conditions.

Time and eggbeates use brass cleats which are soft and "self-lubricating" to avoid locking your foot in when grit dries to the pedals. Also the release is very consistent dry or wet, even easier when wet. Iíve had about 6 years of no maintenance use on now my 3írd set of Time pedals after about 8 years of SPD types after 10+ years of platform with "clip-in" straps. I'd like to try Crank Bros. Candies and Acids, but I see no big reason to switch from something so reliable and consistent.
    Yea, its pretty much always dry conditions in Colorado. I hike a bike a lot due to the terrain I ride in and was always wearing out the brass cleats. Yes, there have been a few times in technical stuff in which some sandy grit got on the cleat and it was difficult to get out of the SPD's.

In regards to cleat alignments, yes you can adjust the alignments but only to a certain degree, especially with the EB's, you are a bit constrained by the 2 nut/bolt system on your shoe, only so much rotation is possible, the SPD's cleats have a bit more adjustment cause the bolts sit in a sort of tray that allows some more minor movement, works great for my old ACK knee.

Float
    ------
    EB's 15 degree of float
    SPD's 8 degree's of float
    Time 10 degrees of float

Peace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    for 200 pound plus dudes, the Candy 2Ti is a contender, Candy SL also but is about 42 grams heavier.

My Mojo is kind of heavy so I'm trying to shave a couple grams off where ever I can safely get away with it.

I've been on Candy SL for quite some time. It's a great pedal and feels better than the Times they replaced. The problem with the Times is that the cleat engagement area is relatively wide and your foot can drift laterally to the outside which I found to be uncomfortable. Otherwise the Times are great but since they are french, that's a good enough reason for me to pass on them for future use.
    ah we we.....

mtbr member
    I've got a nice set of Candy SL's I'll sell you. They are in great shape. And they ain't french whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks, i will let you know. not sure what i want yet.

mtbr member
    ...I don't like EB's cause I didn't like the non platform...
    The lack of platform was bothering me at first when I started using Eggbeaters but after a while you get used to it. However I'd like to try the Crank Bros Candys sometimes to see what kind of difference a platform would make.

This is very true.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    I had a set of eggs at one point before and I must say the Candies are a tad more comfortable. The platforms are nice when you jump on the pedals and aren't yet clipped in. You won't notice the platforms otherwise but they are nice to have for those times you need them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast