Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56

    Paint fororange SLR

    Hi, I have a small chip on my bike and wanted to touch it up with some paint. Contacted Ibis and was instructed:

    "You can go to testors.com and find a close match"

    While I appreciate a reply to my question, this is not an answer one would expect for at $2700 frame.

    Anyone knows which paint color matches the orange SLR? Could be car paints, etc...

    Thanks
    Darius

  2. #2
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,526
    You can go to testors.com and find a close match...



  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    514
    Search this forum and you'll find this "Ibis Color Codes" post.

    Doesn't look like Ibis is trying to be a PITA.

    From the thread:

    * As per Tom: "There are no PMS equivalents for the metallic colors. As of now there is no widely accepted standard references for metallics. They are very specific to the paint manufacturer."


    Companies often keep their vendors undisclosed to prevent others from copying or using the same source. In this case, without giving you the paint manufacturer, the only way to match is to approximate with something like testers.com.

    Ibis openly gives out the pantone colors for the non-metallic colors. (also in that thread)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: getbusyliving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by dariusf View Post
    Hi, I have a small chip on my bike and wanted to touch it up with some paint. Contacted Ibis and was instructed:

    "You can go to testors.com and find a close match"

    While I appreciate a reply to my question, this is not an answer one would expect for at $2700 frame.

    Anyone knows which paint color matches the orange SLR? Could be car paints, etc...

    Thanks
    Darius
    I don't have the black and blue SLR and went down to my local hobby store (where they sell Testors paint for model vehicles) and got a close match for the blue. Have to agree that it sure would be nice if Ibis stocked touch up paint. I'd be happy to pay for it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Search this forum and you'll find this "Ibis Color Codes" post.

    * As per Tom: "There are no PMS equivalents for the metallic colors. As of now there is no widely accepted standard references for metallics. They are very specific to the paint manufacturer."

    Companies often keep their vendors undisclosed to prevent others from copying or using the same source. In this case, without giving you the paint manufacturer, the only way to match is to approximate with something like testers.com.
    Thank you for the reply and link

    I can fully understand that 1) there are no open color standards for metallic paints 2) they do not want to disclose the manufacturer

    But, we are talking about $2-3k Mountain bike frames. These are very expansive frames and are used in conditions where you will get damage over time. There is no excuse for Ibis not offering touch up paints. I would argue that these should be offered for FREE and included with the frame. Hack, even low cost BBQs often have these included. If Ibis does not want to offer it for FREE then at least give us the option to purchase as needed.

    Its not very hard to find a match on our own for a black, silver or white frame but try it for the other colors. My orange SLR was purchased new from a dealer few states away (will not disclose the dealer). It came with a small paint chip on the rear triangle. While its not a huge deal it does look bad specially on a brand new frame as it is in very visible spot. I did not feel like it warranted returning the frame because of it but I also figured I can just get a small bottle of touch up paint from Ibis and take care of it myself. Guess I was sadly wrong

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving View Post
    I don't have the black and blue SLR and went down to my local hobby store (where they sell Testors paint for model vehicles) and got a close match for the blue. Have to agree that it sure would be nice if Ibis stocked touch up paint. I'd be happy to pay for it.
    I guess thats the only option I have Hopefully the sales person will walk out with me on to the lot to match the color to what they might have in stock. I would hate to have to purchase multiple shades to find a close match.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Liquidmantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    302
    It's been a while since I bought model paints, but I believe they have chip cards so that you can match it up. The paint in the jar will be slightly different than how it'll appear when dry.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    It's been a while since I bought model paints, but I believe they have chip cards so that you can match it up. The paint in the jar will be slightly different than how it'll appear when dry.
    great points, I will post back with the exact code assuming I locate one

Similar Threads

  1. Paint
    By Braco in forum Ibis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 02:55 AM
  2. before and after paint
    By retrofred in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM
  3. paint/
    By lawnbike in forum Specialized
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 09:56 AM
  4. paint in Wi.
    By jeepfreak in forum Minnesota, Wisconsin
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 06:22 AM
  5. 2006 Stumpy FSR Expert - Paint or paint over anodizing?
    By MaukaRunner in forum Specialized
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •