mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Pace RC41 XCAM. What do you think?

Hello,
    I have possibilite to buy Pace RC41 XCAM 130mm for 880 USD here in Russia.
    What do you think of quality and reliability Pace? I realy like this fork, should I buy it or choose Fox 32 Talas for Mojo?
    Thinks.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGold
    Hello,
    I have possibilite to buy Pace RC41 XCAM 130mm for 880 USD here in Russia.
    What do you think of quality and reliability Pace? I realy like this fork, should I buy it or choose Fox 32 Talas for Mojo?
    Thinks.
    I rode the Pace R41 Fighter 150mm with thru axle for all of 2007 and loved it. It needed a service at the end of the year but I was riding every single weekend (mostly both days) and many afternoons after work and the riding was only very rarely smooth buffed singletrack.

I loved the fork and it held up very well considering how much work it had to do.

My wife rode next to me for much of my riding and was on a Fox 32 TALAS. We gave it a full overhaul service around the same time as my Pace and it also just kept working throughout the year so I don't think you can go wrong with either. I (personally) prefer the Pace over the Fox for the plushness and the weight difference. - but then I recently replaced my Pace to try out a 160mm Coil Lyrik which is heavier by far.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Weird, I know its good to service a fork or shock but I have been riding my Fox 32 Float RL for 1.5 years, 2-3 days a week and 1-2 days a weekend, outside of the deep Winter and never had it serviced as yet, and it seems to be working just fine. I would like to have the fork Push'ed to get the High Volume (HV) Air Piston Kit and of course it would be serviced at the same time. Or I might put the cash towards a new shock that gets more out of its travel then the Fox does (like the Manitou) of course that has to get past the Wife aka the budget king. I still need to play with the oil in the shock to see if I can improve some travel. Got a bit used to the travel that the Rollonthrottle kit.

Sean, have some kids you have to much free time!

Peace.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Sean, have some kids you have to much free time!
    Peace.
    I have a dog instead! I can put her outside at night if she complains about what I am watching on TV and she doesn't need a scholarship fund!

Slovakia (Europe)
    I rode 2005 Pace RC-41 XCAM for 2 years, but had to send it to Pace twice for warranty issues. Last time they completely replaced the stanchions and updated damper to LC2, that is said to be much better, but I haven't test it yet, because meanwhile I bought 2007 Fox Talas RLC.

If the Pace is worked well, it's cool, plush and very light. It need a bit more maintenance than the Fox, but on the other hand the stripping of the fork and the maintenance/full service is easy (for me).
    The Fox is reliable, plush enough and offers more setup (Talas RLC), but it's also a bit heavy and a service should be done in authorized service center (special tool is required for Talas chamber).

Personally I'll give a try to both forks and stay with one of them, but will prefer Pace because of the weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Incredible Fork

I have around 1200 miles on my Pace 41 fork. It is incredible! Stiff and Light! I certainly like it better than the 36 Talas. Absolutely, no issues yet with the Pace. However, look at the photo closely and you'll see the brown dust covered leg. The fork does mist oil. So it does get dusty and so does your wheel hub and brake. Pace/Dt Swiss say this is normal operation in their tech info. This photo is after an 18 mile downhill race in dry dust so thick it look like smoke on the trail from the racers. It really is an amazing fork...with some great functional features! The oil does not bother me! I weigh 160 and can't imagine adding another 1-2 lbs. to the front wheel of my Nomad trail bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mp007
    I have around 1200 miles on my Pace 41 fork. It is incredible! Stiff and Light! I certainly like it better than the 36 Talas. Absolutely, no issues yet with the Pace. However, look at the photo closely and you'll see the brown dust covered leg. The fork does mist oil. So it does get dusty and so does your wheel hub and brake. Pace/Dt Swiss say this is normal operation in their tech info. This photo is after an 18 mile downhill race in dry dust so thick it look like smoke on the trail from the racers. It really is an amazing fork...with some great functional features! The oil does not bother me! I weigh 160 and can't imagine adding another 1-2 lbs. to the front wheel of my Nomad trail bike.

Super Fly
    I been riding my Pace RC41 Xcam for almost two years now. The only service that I done to it so far is cleaning the dirt out of the lockout button. It tend to have little oil around it and that attracts the dust. My lower right leg is begaining to have oil mist like on the photo of MP007. I think it was my fault for turning the compression out past 3 turns. The fork is very plushy soft. Very rigid. No other fork with 130mm of travel will weight the same. I bought a 2008 Fox Talas RLC about 6 months ago and is still deciding weather I should ditch the Pace or return the TALAS. The Pace rides so good that I dont want to mess with it. Im a 145 Lb rider with gears on. The fork is on the 2006 S-Works Stumpjumper Carbon. I also ride the fork 10 Psi below recomended pressure. Oh yeah, its super Bling. It attracts a lot of eye balls. Too bad its not a chick Magnet. LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Pace RC41/Fox Talas 32/Zen

I do think the weight is actually identical between the Pace RC41 and Fox Talas 32. The Pace is 150mm and the Fox 32 Talas 140mm. So we are very very close. I'm guessing for the price I'd buy the Talas 32. However, I would not place a 140mm fork on my Nomad. I think 160mm is appropriate and I wish my 150mm Pace was 160mm. However, the Fox 36 Talas at 160mm was the right length. Yet I'd prefer the Pace weight and love the feel over the 36 Talas...even when going super fast downhill. I do think we'll see a 160mm Pace/DT very soon...with little weight gain (I hope I can afford it).

When it comes to looks I really like the 2008 Talas 32. Super Sharp! What I can't stand is all the newer white forks I keep passing on the trail. Definitely a case where roadies have broken into mountain bike fork design and doing their best to ruin it.

Even the "Budda on the Half Shell" knows it is important to keep the ZEN and the Pace RC41 Fighter has it big time. It is the Zen Monster of trail riding forks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by mp007
    I do think the weight is actually identical between the Pace RC41 and Fox Talas 32. ...
    Pace RC41 (air) is 1580 - 1590g, 2007 Fox TALAS is 1810g, that is huge difference 230g or ca. 1/2 pound. I have both and have weighted them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Correct Thanks....

Thanks for the correction on weights. Us Santa Cruz Nomad dudes are not always sure what we are talking about. A 1/2 pound is monster, considering the cost of saving the last 3-4 lbs on our bikes. Thanks for a gram update!

Super Fly
    There is a difference between the 41 fighter and 41 XCAM. Xcam is 130mm and weight about 1600 grams. I havent weighted the 2008 Talas Rlc yet. Should I switch out the Pace 41 XCAM for the 2008 Talas RLC?

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1c07
    There is a difference between the 41 fighter and 41 XCAM. Xcam is 130mm and weight about 1600 grams. I havent weighted the 2008 Talas Rlc yet. Should I switch out the Pace 41 XCAM for the 2008 Talas RLC?
    Weight difference between RC-41 XCAM and Fighter is negligible, XCAM is exactly 1580g, Fighter is 1590g, they both use almost identical internals with only small differences - I've weighted both and did the upgrade form XCAM to Fighter. The weight difference is between air version RC-41 and coil version RC-40, but I haven't weighted coil Pace forks.
    If you should switch it's up to you, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Rode a Mojo with an RC40 Fighter for a while and thought it was pretty good. It felt quite "XC" and ended up switching it out for a taller fork (Z1 Light). I think the XCAM would be far too short and would steepen the bike up much too much, although some may like it that way. Not for me though.