Thread: Overhaul?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Overhaul?

I've ridden one and a half seasons on my HD, now. Probably somewhere around 500 hours. I'm going to take advantage of this winter to rebuild my bike to make it like new. I've recently replaced the crankset and BB, and just installed new shifters, rear derailleur, chain and cassette. (Those were not arbitrary upgrades, by the way.) I popped out a bearing from the lower lopes link and found it to be a little crappy feeling.

The point of all this is that I'm going to, at a relaxed pace, take my entire bike apart, clean it, and rebuild it. Fork and shock included. Any advice on all this? Anyone know a good source for bearings? Anything i should know about? Thanks, Circles

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    One thing that might turn out to be a big upgrade is to have your fork and shock tuned. Specially for the shock it makes a big difference to me (given the person tuning it knows what hes doing). Also getting rid of those stupid DU bushings in the eyelet of the shock and replacing them by Polmer ones made a big change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Don't forget about your brakes. Check how much pad you have left. If your brakes use DOT fluid, they're likely due for a bleed by now (depending on what you mean by "seasons"). If they use mineral oil, they're probably so easy to bleed that you might as well just do it anyway.