mtbr member
    Feb 2008

OT: Ergon vs. Osprey vs. ??

Cross-posting here from the apparel forum, to access the high quality opinions I expect from my fellow Ibisians. Thanks for any thoughts.

My 1990s vintage camelbak is finally giving up the ghost, and I'm ready for a new bag.

I'm interested in Osprey (Syncro or Raptor) or Ergon BX2, or any other hydration packs that are of similar high end quality.

I'd like to find something that is locked on and rides really well, but still relatively light. Hence, looking at more technical brands and less interested in camelbak, dakine, etc.

Needs to be enough for all-day rides (so to fit in a bit of warmth and a gang of food and water). Carrying armor not a priority for this pack.

Anyone have experience with both these products, or has done enough homework to make a comparision? Have seen Brian Mullin's reviews, but direct comparisons would be welcome.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Check out the Osprey Manta 25. A good size for anything up to epic rides if you don't need to lug lots of armor. Way better features then Camelbak, and very comfy. No idea about the Ergon, but I have had a whole bunch of Camelbaks, and I think Osprey is heads above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I too am very partial to the Ospreys. I own a Raptor 18 and a smaller Raptor, and like them a lot over several other brands I've had, including Camelbak. I'll probably get a larger Manta at some point too.

mtbr member
    I can't compare to the osprey but I have the older version of the ergon and like it. The biggest benefit of the ergon is the way the waist belt supports the weight of the pack and takes it off your shoulders. It's the only pack I've tried that does this and it really makes the pack comfortable even if loaded down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I own several Osprey products--no hydration packs--and I can tell you that their warrantee and customer service is fantastic! I recently slammed a buckle on my computer bag in a door, resulting in two pieces of plastic where there should have been one. A quick call to Colorado and two replacement buckles were on the way--No Charge.

Each Osprey bag I have used has exceeded my expectations for ergonomics, durability, and functionality. I'm sold on them as a company.