mtbr member
    Sep 2008

ordering a ripley-large or XL?

I currently ride a 19.5" trek fuel ex 9 in a 26" size wheel, I'm unsure of the correct size that I need and am leaning towards a large to keep the overall size small and flickable. I'm 6'2" with a 34.5" inseam. What is everyone else riding and what is your height and inseam numbers? Are you happy with your size or do they run 'small' or 'large'? I'll be using a 120mm travel fork also.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    I currently ride a 19.5" trek fuel ex 9 in a 26" size wheel, I'm unsure of the correct size that I need and am leaning towards a large to keep the overall size small and flickable. I'm 6'2" with a 34.5" inseam. What is everyone else riding and what is your height and inseam numbers? Are you happy with your size or do they run 'small' or 'large'? I'll be using a 120mm travel fork also.

Thanks!
    My height and inseam is basically identical, with a 35" in seem. Tested a L in June at the demo. Ordered a XL and I am picking it up at the shop with in a week. My idea was to run a short stem, but I am going to ride it stock to get a feel for it first. I can update this thread after delivery and some rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam, but I'm sorta old and don't like really long top tubes

I still ordered an XL, and after I received it I put it next to my current GF Superfly HT. Surprisingly, the Rpiley had a shorter TT, and I already have a 90mm stem in hand. I'm pretty sure I'll need to get a longer stem since I already have the seat slightly forward of where it is on the GF. I'd order an XL. Its not a "big" XL by any means. Also only 2680 on my scale (with rear axle), so the weight benefits of a L would be negligible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What size superfly do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
    I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam, but I'm sorta old and don't like really long top tubes

I still ordered an XL, and after I received it I put it next to my current GF Superfly HT. Surprisingly, the Rpiley had a shorter TT, and I already have a 90mm stem in hand. I'm pretty sure I'll need to get a longer stem since I already have the seat slightly forward of where it is on the GF. I'd order an XL. Its not a "big" XL by any means. Also only 2680 on my scale (with rear axle), so the weight benefits of a L would be negligible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    What size superfly do you own?
    Sorry to not mention that. XL (21.5)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    did you receive your bike visceral? How does the size feel and does the overall bike feel too 'big' at all? I wish I could test ride it to see for myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ive got the frame... and put most of it together, but Im waiting on the XX1 freehub body to get it running.

Its a smaller XL with the zero-offset seatpost. Its a tight bike for sure. There's no way with the 51mm fork its going to feel "big" unless something totally unforseen happens. I've got a plain sweep bar (instead of my usual riser) in order to lengthen the cockput a little and get me towards the front of the bike. I do a lot of steep climbing, and I've had a lot of trouble lifting the front if I dont have my taint holding the tip of my Toupe Pro down ((

Its no bueno at the end of a tough ride when your crotch is more sore than your legs. Im hoping scooting things forwards makes for less of "that".

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Picked up my XL on Wednesday, and after three rides, couldn't be happier with the size. Running a 70mm stem, and it is spot on. The L felt a bit cramped during the demo. Glad I chose the XL. I could only see an issue if you are long in the torso or like it really stretched out, as I am not sure how well the Ripley would accommodate without a long stem, which goes against the intent of the bike IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the top tube length of XL is actually 2 mm shorter than my 19.5 inch fuel ex 9, Im thinking XL is the way to go, thanks guys!