The MTB Lab

Opinion on Marta SL/Juicy Ultimate/Formula Oro Puro

I am going to replace my brakes and shift system and I was wondering what everyone thought of the lightweight brakes.

I like modulation in my brakes, so that meant the Hayes brakes (very on or off) were off the list. I do like the feel of the XTR's that I have with my 2006 dual control. I am going to switch to Sram Twist Shift's.

Magura Marta SL
    Formula Oro Puro
    Avid Juicy Ultimate

Thanks.

www.derbyrims.com
    The Formula Oro's are possibly too good?! I rode a friend's Burner with them and nearly endoed the first time I one fingered the brakes. Very high quality. I think I could get used to the power!

I've heard only good things about the Marta's.

I want to interview the Hayes guys at Sea Otter to see if there's better pads for the H-9's, they are weak, even with a 7 inch rotor in front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have the Oro Puros. They are the best looking and most powerful brakes I have seen - can definitely recommend them :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good job!

I have Oro Puro's too.

They are excellent brakes! They are light, powerful and the feel is great too.
    Also customer service from Formula is excellent.

flow where ever you go
    I'm running Marta SL on the Mojo. I love them. Lots of modulation, never grabby and no fade with 180 in front. I run 180/160.

mtbr member

Same here: MARTA SL 180/160

Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    I'm running Marta SL on the Mojo. I love them. Lots of modulation, never grabby and no fade with 180 in front. I run 180/160.
    I run 180 front with braided hose and 160 rear with regular hose. I had them for 18 months (first 17 on my now sold 5-spot) with zero maintenance. Powerful, plenty modulation and very light.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Puros. I went with the 160mm rotors and even at 200 lbs with gear, there's plenty of fade-free stopping power. I've never used the Maguras so I can't speak to their modulation but I think the Puros are great in that regard - especially considering their stopping power. I hear the Ultimates are pretty sweet too. You probably can't go wrong with any of the three.
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Ibis Hakkalugi
    Ibis Carbon Mojo

Members who have read this thread: 0