mikeb

once and for all

i know many of you don't consider the alibi a "real" ibis, but will somebody tell me once and for all where the alibi was really built?

i've heard that the tubes were drawn by kinesis in portland and then the bikes were welded in petaluma. i know that i purchased my frame directly from the factory at one of the ibis "garage sales" in late 1998.

thanks for your answers in advance...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mike,
    The Alibis were made in Portland by Kinesis. No Ibis was ever welded in Petaluma. The bulk of Ibises were made in Sebastopol. After '98 we moved to Santa Rosa, a few miles away.
    We made very few aluminum frames in house, but nearly all the steel and Ti bikes were made in Sebastopol or Santa Rosa.
    Scot

mikeb
    thanks, scot!

my alibi is the bike i'd keep if i had to let the other two go.

oh yeah, was the alibi painted in portland as well or were they painted in california?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mike, Most but not all were painted in Portland.
    Scot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Mike,
    The Alibis were made in Portland by Kinesis. No Ibis was ever welded in Petaluma. The bulk of Ibises were made in Sebastopol. After '98 we moved to Santa Rosa, a few miles away.
    We made very few aluminum frames in house, but nearly all the steel and Ti bikes were made in Sebastopol or Santa Rosa.
    Scot
    Since we're on the subject, which ones were made in Bozeman? Is there a way to tell by serial number? I'm wondering if my steel Sonoma is a Bozeman bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure, Bozeman came as I was stepping out the door. I'll try to ask Carl at the NAMBLA show this weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0