Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride in heat
    May 2012

Old versions Ibis owners - how much do you love your bike?

Despite the pressure to change to HD3 I decided to stay with my old trusty HD... I own it for 2 years, and I just fail to see any worthy reason to go for HD3. I demoed the new guy, pretty thoroughly (a weekend on trails), and I can't say I was blown away. It's an excellent bike, as all Ibises, but it's no better than my HD... In several points, it felt worse. I know that I like the sizing of HD better than HD3, but it's subjective impression.

I like how it looks...
    I like how it rides...
    It's full coil X-Fusion suspension - Vengeance and Vector. Rides like butter...
    It's white (not really like the color schemes on the new model)...
    It's 27.5 front and 26 rear, with 160mm all around...
    I can go 26 on it, I can go 27.5 on it, I can go 27.5-26 on it...
    It goes up like a mountain goat, and flies down like an eagle...
    The Lopez links are bulletproof... I like the design of old links so much better...

The bike is so good, that sometimes I think Ibis didn't really need to do a new model.

How 'bout u?

mtbr member
    If it wasn't that somebody stole my Mojo C End of an era ... Mojo HD3 2016! I would still be on it.

I think Ibis mostly update their bikes because they must follow the industry "trends" and the "consumer need" for "new and better". Really not sure how much "new" and better" has got out there since 2006.

I am now on a Mojo HD3, a great bike, but by far the most improved item in respect to the Mojo C is the fork, the bike was born with the fairly dismal Fox Float 2007 and I never got around changing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think Ibis mostly update their bikes because they must follow the industry "trends" and the "consumer need" for "new and better". Really not sure how much "new" and better" has got out there since 2006.

I am now on a Mojo HD3, a great bike, but by far the most improved item in respect to the Mojo C is the fork, the bike was born with the fairly dismal Fox Float 2007 and I never got around changing it.[/QUOTE]
    ================================================== ========================================

==============================
    that's pretty much how i see it these days. forks are finally being made the way they probably could have years ago, but ya had to get custom cartridges for 'em. now we've got high/low speed comp. & rebound. don't need after market shock services like ya did either. wonderful time to be riding
    breezy shade

GMV
    mtbr member
    I'm on the other side of the coin :-)

Yes, I still love my SL and will be keeping it. The HD3 though is an altogether different bike. It has all or most of the things I love about the SL (pedalling/climbing prowess, playfulness, acceleration, cornering ability) and so much more (stiffness, better cockpit feel, better roll over ability and better traction). For me and as against the SL, it is new and much better.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes, I agree with everybody
    IBIS HD C is a wonder bike. As long as I am enjoying mountain or xc trail biking. There is no need to jump ship.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Never met an Ibis I didn't love...

Old versions Ibis owners - how much do you love your bike?-ibis-flock.jpg

....but I did break down and get a new HD3 too....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How about ibis comes out with a proto type rear triangle that fit HD carbon 160. With 27.5 wheels without need to change rear shocks. Many ibis users will welcome this development.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silanganmarine View Post
    How about ibis comes out with a proto type rear triangle that fit HD carbon 160. With 27.5 wheels without need to change rear shocks. Many ibis users will welcome this development.
    This is not possible, unless you're OK with a >15" high bottom bracket... They already offered a retrofit 650b rear triangle for HD's, which was awesome of them to do, but 140mm was the limit while maintaining a reasonable BB height..... can't fit a monster truck in a matchbox. And the HDR was their complete bike solution based on the original HD design, which they set at 130mm to get the bb height a little lower still....but it was panned by many who felt it still had too high a bb. Regardless, it's an awesome bike.
    A cheaper & more practical solution would be to put a 650b front wheel on your 160HD, and shred to your heart's content while saving for a new HD3

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hdr retrofit clearance was still not enough clearance for 650b so they have to change the rear shock to 140. ,maybe design the curve in the rear triangle to minimized the bottom clearance. It will be an additional business to ibis n make HD c user happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    HD in my opinion is the most stunning and beautifully designed AM frame ever. Was hard to let her go; on a N3 since a couple weeks, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibis Flock.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	1038555

....but I did break down and get a new HD3 too....
    Whaaaat? Chris King headset I see? You showoff you....

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I also think the previous design of the HD was stunningly beautiful, and is not outdated by the new version.

What I would be happy to see, is that Ibis will make a new 27.5plus rear triangle for the old HD. It could be much fun...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I love my HD. I picked mine up used and IMO its one of the best deals out there. If your on a budget like me you can have a killer 26" program for a fraction of the cost compared to new.

I don't doubt for a second that the HD3 is better, but at this point its not enough for me to want to switch.

Al

mtbr member
    I just went thru this debate, I've had an HD for 3 years, 6 months ago I put the 2015 fox factory 36 27.5 fork and wheel on it. The fork was a huge improvement, but after demoing an HD3 for a weekend- I'll get the HD3 with the x2 float shock. Seems like it doesn't make a lot of sense spending too much on the old frame- I climb a lot and I was surprised how much better the HD3 climbed and descended, but a lot of it rests on the major fox suspension improvements

Antagonist
    Maybe two rides from hitting 6K miles on my SL that I've had since 2010.

Still in love with it. Hell, it makes me smile just looking at it in the garage to this day. I want to get the 3, thinking 27.5 will give me a little more on some of the terrain I'm going through; Having used 29 loaners while mines been in service, I'm definitely not going that big.

Best thing I've done to my SL was put an x-fusion on it to replace the RPL that kept shitting all over my leg.

Team Chilidog! Moderator
    I went through this debate a few months ago.

I have both an original HD and an HD3. As much as love my HD3, I still have a place for my HD. My HD has been converted to shorter travel (140mm) and I'll eventually put 650B wheels on it. If I don't like those, I might convert them back to 26". It's such a versatile and cool bike that I just have a hard time getting rid of it.

Right now, it's very much a little play bike with the shorter travel, but I'm still really enjoying the HD3 and still breaking it in (got it a couple of months ago). So I'm learning what the HD3 feels good for, versus the HD.

My HD works just fine, but it has such a different feel than the HD3. I like them both, and I think it will depend on what I'm riding.

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by spill View Post
    Maybe two rides from hitting 6K miles on my SL that I've had since 2010.

Still in love with it. Hell, it makes me smile just looking at it in the garage to this day. I want to get the 3, thinking 27.5 will give me a little more on some of the terrain I'm going through; Having used 29 loaners while mines been in service, I'm definitely not going that big.

Best thing I've done to my SL was put an x-fusion on it to replace the RPL that kept shitting all over my leg.
    I'm still loving the SL as well. I have been running 27.5 on it for a while now and am really happy with it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old versions Ibis owners - how much do you love your bike?-1230151301a.jpg  

Old versions Ibis owners - how much do you love your bike?-1230151301.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    2012 SLR, plan on keeping it for some years yet. Over the last few months have been making changes, wheels, fork, shock, the bike just hauls and is so much fun to ride.

Looked into HD3 but with the poor AU to US exchange rate the change over was crazy expensive. So plan to keep rocking my old 26" for a while.

mtbr member
    Still loving my HD - just updated the parts...

Old versions Ibis owners - how much do you love your bike?-img_0103.jpg

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by philstone View Post
    Still loving my HD - just updated the parts...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	1040911
    This one looks goooood! Why did you decide to go for the Arch, instead of the existing Flow?

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Lighter weight - it originally had Easton Havoc's on but they bearings were made of chocolate.. Got a deal on the Hope's with Arch's with a view to swapping them out for LB carbon's soon..

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I see. Mine had Flows, still on them. Tough rims at good price, love them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Still loving my Mojo SL, and still making it better all the time through incremental upgrades. Next up is a Fun Bolt setup for the Chris King rear hub to maximize stiffness, save some grams and make it look cleaner.

mtbr member
    I like your two tone frame...very slick!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I love my HD, So
    Much that I am about to do a drivetrain over haul:

Cassette , chain, rings, pivots / links, CK BB, and maybe some Mavic crossmax xl's.

But to be honest, I am a little concerned about the future availability of good 26" tires.

What are your thoughts on this fellow Ibis'ains ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast