mtbr member
    May 2010

Old School Ibis content.

I've been an Ibis fanboy for years. Loved the designs, the sense of humor, the bikes, etc. I've been keeping an eye out for one for a while. I'm short, so that makes it a little difficult to find a bike that fits me. I recently started looking for a new ride after a few years off the bike. I found a 1997 Hakkalugi for a steal, so I jumped on it. I had to gamble since the seller didn't know the frame size, but it worked out. It's a great bike. Mine is hung with the best stuff shimano had to offer circa 1995-1997. I added the salsa stem, the saddle, and the eggbeaters and crank brothers skewers, but other than that it's stock.

I had so much fun riding the Hakkalugi that I decided to look for a new mountain bike too. I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes from some really nice trails, with several other good trails within a 45 minute drive so I knew I'd be able to get some good use out of a mountain bike. I was trolling craigslist one night and came upon another Ibis!!! Scored a killer deal on this Ripley. Not the Ripley most of us are familiar with, mind you. This is the John Castellano designed Ripley, basically an aluminum version of the Silk TI. 1.25 inches of soft tail travel. And this sucker was LOADED. XTR errythang, Chris King hubs and headset, carbon bars, it was nuts. I took it out on the trails this weekend and it was great. I'm working with Castellano to get the rear suspension dialed in, and I'll probably replace the fork with something a little better (thinking a 100mm travel fox).

So I basically went from lusting over Ibis bikes to owning 2 in the span of a couple of weeks. Yeah, they're old but they work. I could have probably held out and found a used mojo for what I paid for the pair, but these are the bikes I fell in love with as a kid. You can't put a price on that.

The Hakkalugi:

The Ripley:

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's great, it's about the ride, not just having the latest and greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    nice. I've got an original Szazbo. I wonder if they'll ever re-make that bike? seems like URT's could be making a comeback ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Got my new elastomers from John Castellano last week. Great guy and I can't say enough how awesome it is that he is still supporting these bikes. We went with a little lighter main elastomer (the ripley/silk Ti uses 2 different elastomers). It made a huge difference. My first ride on the old elastomers was rough. The stock elastomers were really compressed and they were rated for someone much bigger than me. I wasn't getting any travel, the ride just felt rough. I installed them and did a test ride Saturday and it was a big improvement. It didn't feel like noticeable suspension travel or anything, but the ride was definitely smoother. The best way to describe it was on the first ride I really noticed the rear end on rough terrain, and on the 2nd ride I totally forgot about it. And it should only get better as the elastomers break in. It's really great that we can keep these bikes riding for years to come.

mtbr member
    I have a Mountain Trials built up with spare parts, needs some "treatment" before I would post any pictures. It has a four number hand stamped serial number, so I'm thinking it was built in Petaluma back in the day. Plan to build it this spring with more deserving parts than are on it now. Fun bike to ride, wheelie's on demand.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nice. Sounds like a cool bike. These old Ibis bikes are a blast. I took the Hakkalugi out for a ride yesterday on a mix of paved bike paths, road, and gravel/dirt trails. Took a corner so fast on the dirt section that I drifted it, moto-style through the corner. On a steel cross bike. So much fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    They need to make kids bikes with that rear end.

mtbr member
    In my rotation of 4 bike, I have a 1997 Ibis Alibi and a 2001 Ripley........love the Ripley......and that Alibi is still one of the best riding HTs I have thrown a leg over.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Had a Lugi in that Gang Green color with Campy OS and triple Campy crank up front, 8sp ergos. the Halson PDS is a great 100mm fork from that era circ 1994. oh yeah I had the only mirror polished Mojo Ti I have ever seen. Sold it a couple of years ago. My HDR650 is infinitely more fun to ride, but there's lots of charm in the old stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well, I ended up finding a deal on a newer carbon hakkalugi in a smaller size. As much as I love the steel bike it's a little big for me so this will be a good move. I'm keeping the Ripley around for a while though. My hakkalugi's on eBay if anyone is interested or knows someone who might be. PM me and I'll send you the link to the auction.