mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Old Ibis Mojo(1993) New Parts

Could some one with more knowledge help me with a component upgrade quesetion? I have a 1992/1993 Ibis Mojo and have been in the process of upgrading many of the components. The one thing I don't want to upgrade is the rear cassette (7 speed) or the thumb shifters and deraileurs. All this is Shimano Deore of the 1992/1993 vintage. I would like to upgrade the cranks though. My question is could I install the new Shimano XT - M770 XT Crankset HollowTech II - 44 /32/22T and leave everything else alone? Will all the shifting still work (front and back). Thanks for any help you can provide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nope, won't work so well. The narrower chainring spacing with the new (9 speed) cranks mean you would *have* to use a 9 speed chain. That would actually be OK for the 7 speed rear drivetrain - narrower chains usually still work OK. But your 7 speed front derailleur cage would probably be too wide and not work with the 9 speed crank. If you had 8 speed, you could get away with it. So then you'd need either an 8 or 9 speed front derailleur; and I don't think your 7 speed front shifter would work so well with this front set up. A good bike shop might be able to get you set up with some spacers that you could install on the 9 speed crank. It's not just the spacing, though, 9 speed cranks also position the chainrings slightly more outboard (to the right) than 7/8 speed.

mtbr member
    The ft shifter is a friction thumbshifter, right? That'll work with anything, as long as your thumb and brain work. Soooooo, then the only question is, Will a chain that shifts well on a 7sp cassette also shift ok and not rub or jump or suck on a 9sp crank. I dunno, I've never tried it. I would try it though.... I bet with an 8 sp chain it would be fine. Shimano's rules are bendable within reason.