mtbr member
    Feb 2015

OG Ripley is now discontinued....

Not a good day for me. I demoed medium OG Ripley last fall wish i found fantastic!!! Today when i tried to order my new buddie i was told by the ibis Guy that the OG is not avaible anymore and that Only the LS will be avaible for 2017 Not sure if i will be a ibis owner.... it sucks..

mtbr member
    Try Backcountry.com they have the OG on sale. Frames and completes

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey View Post
    Try Backcountry.com they have the OG on sale. Frames and completes
    I can not because i am located in Canada and there's some restriction due to contract with the manufacturer. They do not ship ibis product to Canada

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedi77racer View Post
    I can not because i am located in Canada and there's some restriction due to contract with the manufacturer. They do not ship ibis product to Canada
    You might check and see if you can get a freight forward arrangement to Canada. A quick search on Google for "Freight Forwarders Canada" came up with lots of sources. Good luck, the Ripley is a great bike1

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Jenson also has a few left. Where are you in Canada? Maybe an MTBR member can help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I hope they keep the molds in case fashion changes again some day. I totally get it and love me new school geometry M3, but my old school self is sad to see bikes that excel at tight, noodly trails and climbing precision fade away. I think I"m just being sentimental.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I am located in Quebec. I am considering the LS but i m just concern about the lack of playfulnes of this Bike. My last three Bike were pivot Mach 429 sl SC tallboy 2 and pivot Mach 429 Trail. I loved the Tallboy ( Quick steer snappy and fast) . I did not really like the SL and His very long top tube and racing position. So I think the OG would be suited for my riding style...

Lightly salted
    The og Ripley is the funniest 29er I ever owned for xc/trail riding.
    It's a great bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    The og Ripley is the funniest 29er I ever owned for xc/trail riding.
    It's a great bike!
    +1. Regretting swapping to the LS........
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    +1. Regretting swapping to the LS........

If I understand you exchanged your OG for the LS? Why do you regret your change?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It was a warranty replacement for cracked paint. I was told by my LBS the OG's were not in stock for replacement at the time and an LS could be had. I actually loved the idea since my riding has gotten more aggressive. I took it to Sedona this past week for 4 days, to see what it could do. It was definitely good to have on the downhill gnarly stuff, but overall, the steering is slower and more floppy than I expected. When I rode the OG at Outer Bike in 2015, I fell in love with it in a 1/2 mile. 50+ miles with the LS and.....meh. I made a mistake and now instead of having a XC-like trail ripper to complement a 140+ travel bike I'm looking for, I have an LS that doesn't feel right to me. Big F up on my part and considering buying one of the OG frames at Competitive Cyclist, I liked it that much. If the LS was 130-140mm travel, the aggressive geo would be more appropriate I would think. Here's hoping at Sea Otter, Ibis reveals something I'm looking for.
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My guess is you'd have no issues selling the LS for a decent price and cover an OG if you can get one on sale somewhere.

Glad I didn't ditch the OG and move to an LS. Considered it since I'm invested in 29er right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man so happy I snagged an OG when CC made the mistake and had them listed at $1850.

I personally think SC screwed up the Tallboy as well. I had a TBc V1, would have liked to try a TBc V2 since I've read it was improved. Can't imagine how nice a TBc V3 would have been with original geo and improved VPP.

May have to keep my eye out for a used TBc V2 and buy it just to have.

Not a fan of the new long and slack bikes.
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I'm going to slack out my LS more with an angleset. I'm 5-9 on a large and still feel like i'm humping the front wheel at times. Love almost everything about the bike but with 442 stays it puts weight bias up front a bit much. I'd ride an XL for the additional reach if the seat tube was shorter by 60mm. Not easy making everyone happy, I get it.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedi77racer View Post
    I am located in Quebec. I am considering the LS but i m just concern about the lack of playfulnes of this Bike. My last three Bike were pivot Mach 429 sl SC tallboy 2 and pivot Mach 429 Trail. I loved the Tallboy ( Quick steer snappy and fast) . I did not really like the SL and His very long top tube and racing position. So I think the OG would be suited for my riding style...
    So did you like the 429 Trail? LS is virtually the same geometry, within 0.5 degree, and 5mm on pretty much every dimension.
    Enjoying the powder and looking forward to spring!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yess i loved the 429 Trail. Its a very balanced Bike. Very good technical climber. Not that good on fireroad thought. Very playfull poppy and a good descender. No drawback. The dt carbon wheel are awsome!

I finnaly pulled the trigger on the LS with Eagles x01 build and 942 Carbon wheel. My wallet is bleeding now

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Man so happy I snagged an OG when CC made the mistake and had them listed at $1850.

I personally think SC screwed up the Tallboy as well. I had a TBc V1, would have liked to try a TBc V2 since I've read it was improved. Can't imagine how nice a TBc V3 would have been with original geo and improved VPP.

May have to keep my eye out for a used TBc V2 and buy it just to have.

Not a fan of the new long and slack bikes.
    What happened to the Tantrum?

I almost got rid of my Tallboy LTc and I'm glad I kept it. I tried the Hightower and not that impressed to make a switch. I thought about a OG Ripley purchase but the numbers were very similar to the LTc, not all the way but very close. The Ripley LS I need to demo. I missed this $1850 deal, that is once in a lifetime. Good on you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    What happened to the Tantrum?

I almost got rid of my Tallboy LTc and I'm glad I kept it. I tried the Hightower and not that impressed to make a switch. I thought about a OG Ripley purchase but the numbers were very similar to the LTc, not all the way but very close. The Ripley LS I need to demo. I missed this $1850 deal, that is once in a lifetime. Good on you!
    I had to cancel to cover daughter's braces.

I had ordered a bunch of bling parts. I wasn't able to cancel the Extralight order in time or the Nextie. I tried contacting them and stuff had shipped.

So with the customs charges, shipping and restocking fees I was going to lose a ton of money. Was about to reup for the Tantrum, but saw the OG on sale for $1850 and thought I couldn't pass that up.

It's funny I was at my son's soccer night practice bored and just checking sales out and saw it, ordered over the phone. Next morning the price was fixed.

Now I just need to sell the Mojo 3 before the first payment is due.

I liked my TBc V1. Just wanted a little more travel and a better(to suspension) the OG Ripley is that, numbers very similar to a TBc but more travel. Love the way the TBc handled, just thought it could do better on hits during climbing.

While the TB3 I'm sure will sell a ton, I don't like the direction bikes are headed and I think the OG Ripley is the last of a breed.
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    No different than the 2016 Trek Fuel EX geo. It was an awesome bike made for one year. Then they got sucked into the new geo and imo the new model doesn't compare. I regret selling that frame too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    No different than the 2016 Trek Fuel EX geo. It was an awesome bike made for one year. Then they got sucked into the new geo and imo the new model doesn't compare. I regret selling that frame too.
    I'm sure long and slack may be great for out west or North East with actual mountains, but for me here in MD and this area, it's all quick ups and downs with tight turns in between trees.

Just like 800mm bars, going to 720s took adjusting and I had a few hits that hurt my fingers for weeks afterwards- I can't imagine trying to weave 800mm bars through some of the wooded trails here.
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Market clearly has spoken. Plenty of praise for the LS

OG works just fine here in VT outside of bike parks probably (I don't ride bike parks). I have yet to encounter sustained downhill terrain in VT where slacker, longer bigger feels necessary. For the vast majority of XC terrain and distance (I like longer single track miles as a preference to RedBull terrain), the Ripley is the bike to have here.

I did slap in a -1˚ Works headset in my OG and I like what it did to the bike. So, I do think the OG with slightly slacker HA would have been optimal. This may have forced a longer TT, but bike is still great for me with this change and loved it before too.

Just wish I had an orange or Black Ripley....never really liked my blue one all the much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Market clearly has spoken. Plenty of praise for the LS

OG works just fine here in VT outside of bike parks probably (I don't ride bike parks). I have yet to encounter sustained downhill terrain in VT where slacker, longer bigger feels necessary. For the vast majority of XC terrain and distance (I like longer single track miles as a preference to RedBull terrain), the Ripley is the bike to have here.

I did slap in a -1˚ Works headset in my OG and I like what it did to the bike. So, I do think the OG with slightly slacker HA would have been optimal. This may have forced a longer TT, but bike is still great for me with this change and loved it before too.

Just wish I had an orange or Black Ripley....never really liked my blue one all the much.
    Heck the bikes are even good at some smaller parks. There is one down in VA caled Bryce, not big by any stretch- but fun.

I've posted this pic before- there several features roughly the same size, rode them all on my TBc just fine.

Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI