mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Nuclear Pesto Mojo SL Special Blend

Well, it finally arrived. Although a few minor hiccups (blue links instead of black, blacks on their way) I couldn't be happier with the bike.

No clue what the wrench was thinking with that front brake cable. LOL

iPhone pics for now. I'll be sure to take some proper pics and post in the SL gallery. Time to go get this thing dirty!

Dropshot Champ!
    sick! Now get it dirty and remember to hit that gap. You're on a bright green bike now, time to show off!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nice!!!
    -----
    some drink from the fountain of knowledge...
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Been looking pretty hard @ one of these. Can you post up some riding impressions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Had to do some last-minute press tours for work and today is the first day I'll be able to ride. I swapped out the Avid Elixir 1 with some Magura MT4 brakes. Just need to bleed the brakes (had to shorten them), and hopefully I'll get out there today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Excellent. Extra curious to see how the suspension performs its been difficult tracking down reviews or impressions.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    just install a RS reverb on mine its awesome!
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Magura's "wonderful" plastic bleed screw screwed the pooch. Ride delayed.

For an extra few grams, I'd gladly go with metal screws...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

First ride in the bag!

Let me begin by just saying, "Sweet baby Jesus, suspension design has come a long way since 2002!!!".

Sag was set according to X-Fusion's recommendations for my weight and that seemed pretty damn close to perfect in the end.

Figured I'd go for broke and throw some really technical climbs and some super sketchy descents at the bike right from the start. There were rock steps, big drops, babyhead rocks in a dry stream bed, etc. Here's the breakdown:

• *Suspension is active, but doesn't draw your attention to it. Everything just seemed to vanish beneath the bike. As I was getting tired and my lines grew sloppy, the bike more than covered for my less than stellar lines. Incredible. One thing I seemed to notice though was a somewhat slow rebound on the rear shock. I had the rebound setting on the fastest option, so no clue. Maybe I'm just getting used to the new suspension design?
    • *Climbing really excelled, with no aspect of the suspension having any negative input. The only negative aspect to climbing (esp in the rockier areas) was the Specialized tire losing traction. Overall, not thrilled with the rear tire and will likely swap this out sooner than later.
    • *One odd aspect of the suspension was found when I tried to bunny-hop. For whatever reason, I have an odd technique but have alwas been known for how high my bunnyhops are. Oddly enough, the X-Fusion rear shock seemed to lack the rebound "snap" I've grown accustomed to. Now I've rode a ton of different suspension designs and also have no problems on a hardtail. It just felt like the rebound was sluggish, despite being on the "fastest" setting.
    • *Front shock was exceptional. Despite the rave reviews, I was initially a bit leery of the fork for some reason. Those concerns went out the window the first time I cruised down some large rock steps. No flex or deflection as I changed lines and the shock was able to take everything in stride. Great stuff!
    • *Part spec is surprisingly good (and insane for the price). I'll definitely wap the wheels down the road to shed a ton of weight though. I also swapped out Avid Elixir 1 brakes for Magra MT4. Odd lever through and still making up my mind on the Maguras.
    • *Overall, the Mojo SL is one of those few instances in life when something not only meets, but exceeds your expectations. I've been lurking here for years drooling over the design and after finally pulling the trigger, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Going on another ride tomorrow and will be taking some quality pics with the SLR.

Man, I love this bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Let me begin by just saying, "Sweet baby Jesus, suspension design has come a long way since 2002!!!".

Sag was set according to X-Fusion's recommendations for my weight and that seemed pretty damn close to perfect in the end.

Figured I'd go for broke and throw some really technical climbs and some super sketchy descents at the bike right from the start. There were rock steps, big drops, babyhead rocks in a dry stream bed, etc. Here's the breakdown:

• *Suspension is active, but doesn't draw your attention to it. Everything just seemed to vanish beneath the bike. As I was getting tired and my lines grew sloppy, the bike more than covered for my less than stellar lines. Incredible. One thing I seemed to notice though was a somewhat slow rebound on the rear shock. I had the rebound setting on the fastest option, so no clue. Maybe I'm just getting used to the new suspension design?
    • *Climbing really excelled, with no aspect of the suspension having any negative input. The only negative aspect to climbing (esp in the rockier areas) was the Specialized tire losing traction. Overall, not thrilled with the rear tire and will likely swap this out sooner than later.
    • *One odd aspect of the suspension was found when I tried to bunny-hop. For whatever reason, I have an odd technique but have alwas been known for how high my bunnyhops are. Oddly enough, the X-Fusion rear shock seemed to lack the rebound "snap" I've grown accustomed to. Now I've rode a ton of different suspension designs and also have no problems on a hardtail. It just felt like the rebound was sluggish, despite being on the "fastest" setting.
    • *Front shock was exceptional. Despite the rave reviews, I was initially a bit leery of the fork for some reason. Those concerns went out the window the first time I cruised down some large rock steps. No flex or deflection as I changed lines and the shock was able to take everything in stride. Great stuff!
    • *Part spec is surprisingly good (and insane for the price). I'll definitely wap the wheels down the road to shed a ton of weight though. I also swapped out Avid Elixir 1 brakes for Magra MT4. Odd lever through and still making up my mind on the Maguras.
    • *Overall, the Mojo SL is one of those few instances in life when something not only meets, but exceeds your expectations. I've been lurking here for years drooling over the design and after finally pulling the trigger, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Going on another ride tomorrow and will be taking some quality pics with the SLR.

Man, I love this bike!
    cool!
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good to here that you are digging the mojo action.
    When I first got my mojo C I found there were a few doubles that I couldn't clear as the suspenesion wouldn't pop of the lip like my old faux bar giant. I adjusted by just hitting the jumps with more speed. As time went by I had started doing larger jumps and had to slow the rebound down to 2 clicks from full slow on the RP23 to stop from being bucked on landings. That is why I find it a bit strange that you want the your rebound set nearly as fast as possible, but then I have no experience with the X-fusion shock. Although I am hoping to be able to buy a vector air HLR for my HD. I would love it if ibis started selling DW tuned shocks through their webstore as I'm having problems getting one through the LBS.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by d3toid View Post
    When I first got my mojo C I found there were a few doubles that I couldn't clear as the suspenesion wouldn't pop of the lip like my old faux bar giant. I adjusted by just hitting the jumps with more speed. As time went by I had started doing larger jumps and had to slow the rebound down to 2 clicks from full slow on the RP23 to stop from being bucked on landings. That is why I find it a bit strange that you want the your rebound set nearly as fast as possible, but then I have no experience with the X-fusion shock. Although I am hoping to be able to buy a vector air HLR for my HD. I would love it if ibis started selling DW tuned shocks through their webstore as I'm having problems getting one through the LBS.
    Agree, no pop, so just add speed.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

XFusion

Quote Originally Posted by d3toid View Post
    I am running the Vector HLR with DW link tune (adds $50 to the cost) on my HD. Different animal than the RP23 for sure. My LBS, CalCoast Bikes in San Diego stepped up for me and became a dealer. Cannot say the price I got, but it was good that I ordered thru the LBS rather than direct from XFusion. You could contact them if serious about getting one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, here are some proper pics to go along with my initial ride impressions. I'll be heading out for a ride tonight, so I'll be anxious to see what else I'll notice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Main problem is that I live in Australia so getting a shock from a US bike store might be a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    [QUOTE=Pelly_NH;9243909]
    [*]*Climbing really excelled, with no aspect of the suspension having any negative input. The only negative aspect to climbing (esp in the rockier areas) was the Specialized tire losing traction. Overall, not thrilled with the rear tire and will likely swap this out sooner than later.

Swap the tires, Ground Control front and Fast Track rear , you will see improvement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    mine came with kendas

---
    Last edited by superunknown222; 04-26-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    heres mine.. just installed RS reverb on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nuclear Pesto Mojo SL Special Blend-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335491746.597394.jpg  

Last edited by superunknown222; 04-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown222 View Post
    heres mine.. just installed RS reverb on itNuclear Pesto Mojo SL Special Blend-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335491746.597394.jpg

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?itln4i

Looking good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the impressions! Seems like a pretty unbeatable deal. Making me really want to buy one lol.