Thread: Nokon Cables

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Nokon Cables

Hi All,

I'm thinking of putting Nokon cables on a large mojo. Do I just order the standard kit or will I need extention cable as well. By the way, I'm using SRAM X0 shifters that already have the cable inner - should I use the standard inner cable or ditch it for the ones in the Nokon kit???
    Has anyone used these cables with SRAM.

Cheers
    Ollie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Nokon stretching?

I put Nokon on for '07 XTR front/rear derailleurs. It stretches and stretches -- every ride I have to adjust rear derailleur cable at knob on lever a bit -- usually after chain shifts down a cog on cassette just when I need to climb (ghosting), & eventually after maybe 50 hours of riding I find I've adjusted knob all the way out and then have to screw knob back in & take up the cable at the derailleur. Front stretches too but not as much (it's shorter?) Was wondering has anybody else had this problem. I'm going to replace Nokon with carbon fiber housing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just wanted to know if you had enough cable in the nokon kit (for a large frame)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a small Mojo sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit
    I put Nokon on for '07 XTR front/rear derailleurs. It stretches and stretches -- every ride I have to adjust rear derailleur cable at knob on lever a bit -- usually after chain shifts down a cog on cassette just when I need to climb (ghosting), & eventually after maybe 50 hours of riding I find I've adjusted knob all the way out and then have to screw knob back in & take up the cable at the derailleur. Front stretches too but not as much (it's shorter?) Was wondering has anybody else had this problem. I'm going to replace Nokon with carbon fiber housing...
    Yes. I'm having the same problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I too am having the same constant stretching issue. I have tried everything I can think of, and will be pulling the pretty cables off this week and going back to the tried and true shimano set up that always has worked for me. A little disappointed, as they shift awesome when dialed in, but the constant adjustment has final convinced me to ditch them.

Grams Light Bikes
    I have the same issue with the Alligator i-Links, it starts ghost shifting in the rear, I am going back to normal cable housing again to see if the issue goes away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What do you recommend as a very good normal housing? Could it be that the inner cable of the Nokons are the problem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I typically use the Shimano XTR cable and housing kit. It works well, doesn't stretch, and has nice ferrel's and rubber covers. You certainly still need to be careful to cut/grind the ends square, but that's the same on anything. The only issue I have with them is that they don't have much bling factor. They don't offer any neat colors, etc. They seems to last quite well.

--MXFanatic

Grams Light Bikes
    Update

I went back to the normal plain jane cable housing and after a few minor adjustments on the trail, no more ghost shifting!. So it appears to me that the Alligator i-Links were the problem. Darn, gained some weight!

holding back the darkness
    Hmmm... I noticed a bit of stretch with the cables supplied by nokon, but not as bad as what's been reported here (400 miles later).
    I think that the real demon here is not the housing system or the sealed liner but the actual cable. Switch 'em out with some good old fashioned cables you buy for $1.50 and thread them into the nokon housings and liners.
    **** censorship