mtbr member

Nobby Nic 2.35 no go rear HD140

650b/27.5 NN (cant modify title sorry)

Just converted my HD160 to a HD140 with light bicycle rims, and put 2.35 NN on. It clears the 2012 fox 36 Float easily but the back is too tight. It is a squeeze to get it into place past the hanger and once in there is mostly only about 2mm clearance at the yolk. It does actually rub on one side on the edges of the side lugs for about 10 lugs. Interestingly there is plenty of room at the seattube with all of the air out of the rear shock. I am thinking of sanding them down or cutting them, but will not try again. I am waiting for a tire with a tubeless ready bead and reinforced sidewalls. NeoMoto's were loose on my rims and I did not want to take a chance. All others have too thin sidewalls for phoenix. Continental is coming out with 2.2 protection I just don't know when.
    Last edited by Bones2; 11-28-2012 at 06:39 AM.

mtbr member
    thanks for info. i was wandering if it would fit at the back? maybe i will try it up front. any chance you have piocture of NN and neomoto 2.3 side by side?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    I never got the NeoMoto fully mounted.

Dissolved member
    FWIW, I have just ordered the smaller 2.25 NN for my HD160 650b conversion (we are talking about 650b conversions here, right?). I'll report how it compares to the 2.1 and 2.3 NeoMotos when it arrives.

mtbr member
    The 2.25 NN has very thin sidewalls (no snakeskin) which are not compatible with the sharp rocks in Phoenix.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I feel your pain with splitting tires on Phoenix's rocks. It's strange how I can go months without a flat then destroy two $50 tires in back to back rides. I ride mostly in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve and I have found that a large volume tire is as important as tough side walls. I have given up on any tire smaller than a 2.35. I was seriously considering switching my HD to a 650b but it won't work in PMP if I have to run a 2.2.

mtbr member
    I ran 2.2 trail king ust for over a year in PMP, SoMo, Sedona, Moab, never a single issue. Also ran a crossmark ust without issue. I think a strong casing is important, especially on the rear. I'm waiting for something strong but fast.

I'm in PMP a lot if you ride a medium your welcome try mine out, just shoot me a PM.

Grams Light Bikes
    I rode the NN 2.35 Snakeskins for several months on my HD, and they barely fit (had to deflate to put them on), and any time it was wet or the tire got slightly off track on the rim (wobbling) it with scrape the yoke (glad it was taped). I never had any issue with the side knobs hitting anything, but the NN are more of a tall tire then a fat side knob tire.

The Maxxis Ardent 2.25 are about the limit (they are fat for their size) for the rear. The Neo-Moto 2.3 are fine (they are small for their size), and work well with a wide rim like the Pacenti DL31.

mtbr member
    Is there a 2.25 Nobby Nic Double Defense for 650b like the 26"s?
    A trophy bike is easier to maintain than a trophy car. Both are easier to maintain than a trophy wife.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kakachi View Post
    Is there a 2.25 Nobby Nic Double Defense for 650b like the 26"s?
    No. In 650b NN2.25 does not come in SnakeSkin or Double Defense. RR same. Only NN 2.35 and HD 2.35 come with SnakeSkin. HD also comes in their downhill casing.

I am looking forward to a 2.2 tire with TLR bead and sidewall protection, or even UST. Is this such an unusual request? The only one I see announced is Continental witht there xking, Mountain King and Trail king in protection that was announced several months ago but no mention of release dates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I am looking forward to a 2.2 tire with TLR bead and sidewall protection, or even UST. Is this such an unusual request?
    Amen to that.

This is all really discouraging. I ordered my 650b wheels when I saw that hans dampfs and nobby nics were coming out. Now I'm realizing that the 2.35's won't fit and the 2.25's are useless on my rocky trails. Time to figure out Plan B.

Dissolved member
    I am hoping the new Kenda Honey Badger 2.2 will be tough enough for rocky trails. Kenda Shows New Treads & 650B Mountain Bike Tires - Bike Rumor

mtbr member
    I'm disappointed, but it's my fault. I thought I could run the tires I want on the frame and fork I already have and all would be peachy. If I'd looked at it more carefully (before I pulled the trigger on new 650b wheels) I'd have realized that my vision might not work out.

mtbr member
    I think the best option right now is the NeoMotos if you can get them to bead safely or I may just run them with a tube until more options come out in the next 6months. Or possibly just throw my old 26" wheels on untill then.This is a temporary problem.

Dissolved member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/2-2...cs-826408.html You won't have clearance problems with NN 2.25 on your HD, let's hope Schwalbe will eventually offer them with SS and Trailstar compound, too.

mtbr member
    Is there a thread with a GO/NO GO list of 650b tires?

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I ran 2.2 trail king ust for over a year in PMP, SoMo, Sedona, Moab, never a single issue. Also ran a crossmark ust without issue. I think a strong casing is important, especially on the rear. I'm waiting for something strong but fast.

I'm in PMP a lot if you ride a medium your welcome try mine out, just shoot me a PM.
    Thanks for the offer to demo your 650b HD. Unfortunately my 6'5 body barely fits my XL HD.

I've found 2.4 tires to be the sweet spot for me as far as not splitting sidewalls or damaging my rims. As hard as I try to ride smooth and carefully pick my lines, my general lack of skill eventually catches up with me and miss my line. 2.4 tires give me more wiggle room when I get sloppy in the rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Amen to that.

This is all really discouraging. I ordered my 650b wheels when I saw that hans dampfs and nobby nics were coming out. Now I'm realizing that the 2.35's won't fit and the 2.25's are useless on my rocky trails. Time to figure out Plan B.
    I'll bet the 650 2.35HD will fit the HD as it's just a few mm bigger in radius than a Neo Moto 2.3. The new Nobby Nick is the tallest 650B tire I'm aware of at close to 28" and I'm actually surprised the guy above even manged to get em into the frame. They are TALL. I'm using them on my Jamis Dakar B2 and really liking them so far.

Ibis so needs to do a rear triangle for the 650B wheels/160 HD
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Ibis SOOOOOO needs to do a rear triangle for the 650B wheels/160 HD
    Ditto! (Just got an HD, so I'm definitely on board with this camp now!)
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Ditto! (Just got an HD, so I'm definitely on board with this camp now!)
    Yup, with the exploding 650B market, tires, rims, forks etc. I think it would justify making the molds for the triangle provided it wont mess with the DW Link dynamics. Maybe different links would be needed as well but I have no idea. Besides, a little extra WB/CS length isn't gonna hurt this bike IMO. It's freaking short.

Ibis...you listening? 650B HD triangle for Mojo HD owners...needs to be ready by Christmas
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Man, with 26" 2.4 NN's my HD is just about at 27.5 anyway...! Might have to back off a tyre size in the rear to re-balance things....

Clearance all okay except a bit close on the chainstay protector - have had to rotate it so seam is underneath,