Thread: No more Tranny?

650b me

No more Tranny?

I was on the Ibis website yesterday and saw that the Tranny has been relegated to the legacy category. I don't own one and never have, but always thought that it was a truly unique bike. Sorry to hear of its demise. Maybe it will be reincarnated in a larger wheel size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

No more Tranny?

My guess would be Tranny 29 coming
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Mtb Guide
    So whats Brian Lopes going to pump on, 4x on etc

Ive lusted after one in Apple green thought down the line, if its dropped for a 29er ver, then 29ers should be ashamed, add, dont delete, maybe a surprise like the HDR will come about, its not Ibis like to delete or exterminate!

mtbr member
    I love my Tranny and she's 69. 29 version might be hot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Does this mean they will stop the production of sl, hd, hd140 and silk sl as well?

OriginalDonk
    Best part about the Tranny is you can pull that rear triangle off, turn it around, and fit it in an old school suitcase. No bike baggage fees. Evan Plews did that for years. Best travel bike...ever...not taking anything away from its amazing day to day performance. I'd expect an announcement soon. U.S. dealer camp is two weeks away so maybe that's when we'd hear something?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bummer. I love my Tranny. Bought it as a compliment to my FS bike and something to travel with...now it's my main ride.

I'd be down with a carbon 650b HT to replace it. 650b isn't going to get you on a plane for free though.

I might have to pick up a backup frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Tal

OriginalDonk
    Held my breath and clicked on the link. Kinda looked like spam. A little extra info about the posting wouldn't have hurt Tal. The link posted by Tal above takes you to a page showing ACC on what looks like the new Tranny. Scroll down a bit and you'll see a video of her tearing through an urban setting on the same bike before getting drilled by a car.

ACC is 5'8" (175cm) for reference when looking at wheelsize. Not sure but the wheelset looks a touch small to be 29" given her height. Best bet is still a 29" Tranny but part of me thinks it could...be 27.5".

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    Held my breath and clicked on the link. Kinda looked like spam. A little extra info about the posting wouldn't have hurt Tal. The link posted by Tal above takes you to a page showing ACC on what looks like the new Tranny. Scroll down a bit and you'll see a video of her tearing through an urban setting on the same bike before getting drilled by a car.

ACC is 5'8" (175cm) for reference when looking at wheelsize. Not sure but the wheelset looks a touch small to be 29" given her height. Best bet is still a 29" Tranny but part of me thinks it could...be 27.5".
    Sorry about that
    Tal

aka dan51
    Hopefully the point of that video is don't ride like a douche. Someone will need to translate.

That bike looks pretty sweet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The one in the vid is a special Olympic paint job Tranny 26" specially painted for ACC.

That is a very satisfying bike to ride and those who have them are almost all very happy with them.
    The market has strongly changed to bigger wheels though... The sales on the 26" version reflect the trend. We still have some, call or email if you have a specific need. Last week we helped a guy find a medium orange. It was in stock at one of our dealers. We sent out a nationwide dealer email looking for it and found one. That was fun to have work out the way it did...
    H

mtbr member
    And Hans the elephant in the room, bigger Tranny?

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    And Hans the elephant in the room, bigger Tranny?
    I think Hans' message was pretty clear: "The market has strongly changed to bigger wheels though..."
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    part of me thinks it could...be 27.5".
    Even if Hans hadn't confirmed above it's a 26er, the wheels are Mavic Crossmax SLRs, which only come in 26 or 29".