Thread: nixon on mojo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

nixon on mojo?

I just got my 07 mojo with the sx kit last night. It comes with a fox 140 rl,which may be good, but probably not nice on 3 to 4 footers with a 230 lb rider. and I wonder if anyone knows if the 06 nixon elite will be rightous on it. My kit came with crossride wheels, which Im also assuming will need an upgrade. Thoughts??

www.derbyrims.com
    The OEM fork and shock should work fine for you. I had them on my SX build. Give it a try at least for a few rides (the suggested air pressures in the Mojo manual for the air forks are way to high to obtain the recommended 25 - 30% sag and bump ride plushness).

I like coil action better than air, and run a Vanilla-R coil in the rear and an '05 Nixon Elite w/ wind down (I've never wound down while riding the Mojo). I'm 200 and needed the Firm kit spring.

If you go to coil the RP23 sells quickly for $250 plus shipping (new they are found for $315. The Float RL fork wasn't so popular, I gave up after little response for a few weeks at $300 + shipping. New they are found for $415 or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info. Im gonna ride it Sunday on my regular group ride and see how it goes. Ive been riding my Lenz 29er for a while, so it may take a while to get used to a 26er again. Is this bike gonna hold up to 3 to 4 foot jumps??

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TONYACCURSO
    Is this bike gonna hold up to 3 to 4 foot jumps??
    It does. I'm more afraid of tacoing a wheel when landing wrong. Look inside the seat tube sometime, the carbon layers are really rather thick and industrial strength. And find some thin carbon fiber water bottle holder or such, and notice how strong the feather weight bottle holder is. The Mojo frame isn't going to break from human weight, the components might. The links are probably the "weak-links" of the design. If you twist or break those links you need a different heavy metal bike for what you are doing.

You should carry a shock pump on the first ride. Just 10 - 15 psi up or down makes a noticeable difference in feel when you are close to your own optimized pressures front and rear.

I don't feel the Mojo/dw-Link has a universal sweet-spot or narrow range of perfect sag for every rider. It performs just as well with deep sag or shallow sag, no kickback or pedal squat either way. Sag height differences doesn't seem to affect the most minimal active suspension bob. (Of course you can pound the pedals erratically to get it to bob from body slamming like the MBA magazine bike testers do to get a reaction that moves more than the stiff lockout platform shock bikes they normally test.) You can set the height for your riding style and handling preferences.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Mojo seems very strong. Any concerns I had about carbon fiber durability have been erased. This bike is built to last. However, 3-4 foot drops from a 230lb rider might, just might, be asking too much from this bike. I'm just wondering if a more fr-oriented machine would be a better match...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Initally, I was looking for another 5 spot,or perhaps a Specialized Enduro, but Lou, my bike guy at Briarcliff bikeworks, suggested the Mojo. It sure as hell is sexy looking.I hope to ride it tomorrow. My main bike is a Lenzsport Lev 29er which is a totally unbeliveable bike. I also have an Intense Uzzi vpx, which is my downhill bike, so hopefully with the Ibis,I have the right bike for the right type of trails. I had an Ellsworth Joker, which was my trail bike, but my son d blocked (took) it, so I had a void in my quiver. We have these technical trails with lots of skinnies, big steep rollers, and lots of 3 to 4 footers, and the Ibis will hopefully fit the bill.
    I'll follow up after tomorrows ride.