Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Mojo SL build soon...Need your opinions!

Hello!
    Ok, so I'm selling off everything I own...cycling wise...to get myself a new bike!
    I haven't owned a spanking brand new mountain bike in a few years...And recently stopped biking ! I think I need a good excuse to start pedaling again...And a new Ibis SL might be a good enough excuse!

I am a aggressive-ish trail rider, with all terrain abilities...meaning I can jump, drop, I downhill kinda fast and don't mind the ocasional uphill! I ride mostly dry conditions here in Baja...and mixed hardpack and loose over hard terrain. My favorite trail is Noble Canyon here in San Diego, Cali!

I used to ride a 2005 Iron Horse MKIII dw-link...with 5" rear travel and 6 @ the front.
    The thing weighed 30lbs. and I looooved the feel of the suspension! It was suuch a great bike! Thats why I like the ibis...apart from the looks..To me the dw-link is super effective and functional.

I can get a very good deal on an ibis...whichever model. I am fond of the White colored ibis SL with the ano blue links....but also like the nude carbon.

What I wanna know is....

what model would be good for me considering my aggressiveness? Are they the same strenght-wise?

I can demo ride one if I want to....but what size would be nice for me? I'm about 5.65 feet tall...I also contemplating on using a 5" adjustable KS seatpost.

Thank you!!

flow where ever you go
    If you are asking for a recommendation between the Mojo and Mojo SL, I don't think it matters much between the two. But you should consider the new Mojo HD.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    But you should consider the new Mojo HD.
    I do drool over the new HD

But it seems it's gonna be too overkill for the kind of terrain I ride on.

I was happy with 5" of travel so I think a half inch more would be spot on!

It's not that steep were I ride....I actually sold my Dh bike because I didn't use it that much

I think I'll go for the Ibis SL....I like the white color...

As for sizing...thats were I don't (as many of new bike buyers) wanna mess up!

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber

I think I'll go for the Ibis SL....I like the white color...

As for sizing...thats were I don't (as many of new bike buyers) wanna mess up!
    Small, and never look back! (though some will say medium)

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Demo both sizes if you can. I am about 5.58 feet and have bought a medium. Don't ask me how it fits, as I haven't had it delivered yet.

mtbr member
    I've thought about the small.....based on the numbers on ibis website.

But I am planning on running a short-ish stem.....let's say a 70mm....65mm if thomson makes one...0degree rise...wouldn't the small sized frame with a 70mm stem be too short??

I climb a lot and wouldn't want a wobly front end...And definitely NO long stems...longer than 80mm....90mm is the max

And would a small frame take full advantage of the 125mm the KS seatpost of adjustment?

Thanks! this has been pretty helpful

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm 5.6ish and bought a small. I had the choice between a med. and a small. I went with a small and have a 70mm thomson stem. I went with a small as I come from a more DH and freeride background. So I figured a small would be a good fit for an all around bike. I'm still building the bike at the moment so can not comment on the ride but I have a good idea of how it will fit as it's pretty similar to my current DH ride.The Mojo is a little longer which is what I wanted. It's a hard guess between the small and med. and comes down to what kind of riding you'll be doing on the bike. If your going more XC then I would suggest a med.
    That's my two cents.

mtbr member
    Great! I will try the small...I've never really ridden a Small bike before...of course when I was little, but I've always ridden mediums....Wonder how thats gonna feel...

My Iron Horse was a 17" I belive...And it was great!

Heres the spec list I'm hoping it will go on the Ibis:

Frame: Ibis Mojo Sl WHITE
    Shock: Fox RP32
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation Team or XX Dual-Air 150mm Travel with Maxle Lite WHITE
    Headset: Does a Chris King InSet work? if not...probably a Cane Creek BLUE
    Stem: Thomson 70mm to 80mm, 0degree Rise BLACK
    Handlebars: RaceFace SixC Low Rise
    Brakes: Probably some Shimano XTR's...7" front rotor and 6" @ the back
    Shifters: Shimano XTR, Right one only.
    Derailleur: Shimano XTR medium cage.
    Cranks: Shimano XTR, Single chainring...don't know what size...maybe a 33t???
    Chainguide: Mrp 1.x WHITE
    Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-34 cuz I'm not that fit...
    Chain: Shimano whatever...
    Hubs: Hope Pro II BLUE
    Rims: Stans ZTR Flow WHITE
    Spokes: Dt double butted....help on the color??? white is tooo much white..I think...
    Tires: Kenda Nevegals or Slant Six's...2.3 front, 2.1 back...Tubeless converted. Single Ply
    Seatpost: KS suspension i950 or i900 with remote
    Seat: Wtb or SDG bel-air WHITE
    Grips: ODI Xtrainer Lock On!

And thats It

Am I missing something???

So what ya think??

mtbr member
    Jeez! I had to cut the spec list cuz of the 6.9 earthquake here in baja that happen while I was typing!!! We're about 60 miles from the epicentre!

It felt awesomeley freaky!!! It was quite long actually! over 45 seconds!

So.....what do you think of the spec list! haha

mtbr member
    Go with the medium if you wanna run low rise bars and a short stem. A size small Mojo is gonna have a short wheelbase and be skitterish on fast descents. Also a size 65 stem is gonna feel short on a small from what I can tell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    At 5' 6", I also struggled with the sizing thing. I'm off a 15" XAM, by the numbers that was close to most builders mediums. Climbing tech sections is what I do. I went medium, with a thomson 90mm 10 degree stem. This is by far the best climber I have ever riden. You are coming of a 17" IH, the small will far too small. The WTB pure slt on sale at Performance Bike $77, heck the XT rear D is on sale at Jenson for $79, you will love the Revelation, one sweet, stiff and precise fork. Somethin that might look cool, Avid Elixer's in white. This machine does everything perfect, the climing ability will blow you away. I got the nickel links, they are absolutely stunning

mtbr member
    As far as specs goes, you get a pretty good deal if you go with one of the Ibis kits. They'll let you swap parts between the kits.

You can also have them delete a fork or something, but you only save about 15% off of the retail price (I assume that's the price they pay for it).

I was going to go all custom, but I saved about $1.5k by going with their XT kit and just adding my own wheels and a few bits from the xtr kit.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Thats a great idea GuruAtma!
    I didn't think of that before...but now that you mentioned I will take in consideration...
    It's been a loong time since I had a custom built bike..with parts that I picked...except for my dirt jumping bike which I built from the frame up...So I really want this bike to be totally high end, with high end parts that I want, not the ones that come in an OEM package like some of the bikes I've had...you know what I mean?

I've heard very good things about the rock shox revelation....but I don't know which one...I can get very good price on both the xx and the team....but...what are the differences?? is the xx lever really work to an advantage?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds like an amazing spec. list. My small seems to be just the right fit for what I want from my bike. The best thing to do is try out both frames. One of my previous bikes was a Commencal Meta 4X in small. My Mojo is bigger then that. The Meta climbed very well actually. So as I stated earlier my choice was based on my previous rides and how they performed in different situations. I didn't have the option to test the sizes. So if you have the chance to do so I would suggest it. I have the Rev. Team and love it. XX is more coin and in my opinion not really worth it. Make sure you post some pics when you get it done. Sounds like it will be an amazing looking bike.

mtbr member
    Hey thanks!
    This is the first all-mountain bike I'll build from the ground up so I wanna install good components from the get go!

Anyone here with KS seatposts???

I'm thinking about the size of the frame....relative to the 120mm of adjustment the i950 offers....Will it fit the medium??

mtbr member
    I searched for info on the KS...I got that covered..no worries!

I need more info on the XX revelation!

I know someone here with an ibis has one....Merlin I think?

Whats the purpose of the handlebar mounted lever?

I know it locks...but it has another function am I right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber
    I searched for info on the KS...I got that covered..no worries!

I need more info on the XX revelation!

I know someone here with an ibis has one....Merlin I think?

Whats the purpose of the handlebar mounted lever?

I know it locks...but it has another function am I right?
    Yup, it has a barrel adjuster for compression adjustment, I have ridden a friends Reba with XX lever and it works nicely for long smooth climbs, just hit the lever to lock it!

mtbr member
    but I mean....whats the compression adjustment about?
    Does it affect just the lockout function? is it like a threshold??
    I don't really care about a lockout function....but if you have an on the fly adjustment on your hands...could be nice.

mtbr member
    Based on how you like to ride don't bother with the XX and the lever, if you want a lever on the bars leave room for a seat dropper lever, way more important. You only need to lock the front fork for roadie rides and long steep climbs if you climb out of the saddle. I rarely ever lock out my fork and definitely do not want another lever cluttering up my bars. If you said you ride a lot of road and steep boring fireroad climbs I might say go for it but since you say your are a "Dhbomber" don't bother with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    but since you say your are a "Dhbomber" don't bother with it.
    HAHAHAA!!!
    I took that from a California license plate from back in the day when I went to Mammoth to race Downhill....I thought it was just soo badass I had to put is somewhere!

Yeah...Im taking notes on different things that may or may not end up on the bike.

I'm pretty sure on the adjustable seatpost remote...but 2 remotes on the handlebar is a little too much...

Oh....things just keep popping while typing.....
    I was checking out MRP 1.x setups here and there...and I want that setup as the spec list shows....1x9....But has anyone ever tried a 33t up front??
    I don't think I can manage riding a 34t at my fitness level....and riding a 32 falls short sometimes during downhills...probably a 33t? does it make much difference?

mtbr member
    Nice build list. King hs will not work....cane creek 110 is really nice. I sure do like my Hope Tech X2 brakes...strong and predictable, easy setup/maintenance, best lever feel, super adjustable, and trick machining, but they match up best to wide-ish bars...minimum of about 680mm... I'm planning to switch to Hope Race X2's...give up a bit of tool-free adjustment, but don't have the bar width limitations (local favorite trails require either bars that aren't too wide, excess walking, or bloody knuckles and endos into rocky ravines... you decide), and they're really light.
    Re. hubs....I'm not at all impressed with Hope's rear hub....the ones I've seen on buddy's bikes have a LOT of drag from the freehub when coasting (I know I know, stop coasting), and they have slow engagement...check recent reviews to see how they're holding up of late. For smooth rolling, low maintenance hubs you can't beat XTR's or DT's, and for quick engagement, lots of axle options, and US made quality & bling there's King, Hadley & I-9 (and DT's have the various axle options too).
    I haven't ridden an X-Loc equipped RS fork yet, but I'm keen to do so. On techy rock garden trails, I enjoyed being able to flip the lockout lever on my Fox RLC fork (when I was using one) to quell front end dive when the trail's too tight for jumping to be an option... I had the threshold set as low as possible, so it didn't lock the fork out at all.... just slowed the compression nicely for those ass-on-the-rear-wheel moments. Of course, reaching down to flip the switch isn't always an option when you're trying to keep it flowing, so a bar mounted lever sounds intriguing. As far as full and complete lockout, I don't have much use for it, but handlebar damping adjustment can serve other purposes besides rigid racer boy lockout.

So are you 5' 6.5", or 5.65 feet (aka 5' 8") tall?.... if 5'8", then med all the way.... if 5' 6.5" I'd still think med but it's a close call, but you'd be better off listening to the people who match your size better... What's the tt length of the Iron Horse you liked so much?

Have fun! White SL, btw, is super sexy.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 04-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    I'm 5'6" and riding a small with the Ibis 70mm stem and MonkeyLite hirise 685mm bars. It fits really well and I don't find it skittish on descents. You didn't say how much you weighed, but if you are under 160lbs, I'd consider the ZTR Arch rims - they are extremely strong and lighter than the Flows.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    To doismellbacon. Do mean that all King headsets don't work on the Mojo or just the InSet? How does the Cane Creek 110 sit on the Mojo? Pretty low profile? I've never owned a Cane Creek so just wondering. I have a King No Treadset kicking around the workshop I was thinking of puttting on my new Mojo build.

meh
    king doesnt make an integrated headset, so none will work
    most agree the 110 is as good or better than a king

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So is it the 110 IS that is the headset of choice for most guys here or is it just the normal 110?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast